what mics do you all use as need to get some

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-01-2008, 06:58 PM

What for?

Djing, speeches, karaoke, hire?

Penfold42
02-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I have a KAM cordless and a Shure PG48....which i like.....

Both are fine but i do prefer my PG48.......the quality is a lot better and it also feels right......can't wait till it grows up onto a 58.....:p :D :D :D :D

Spirits High
02-01-2008, 07:12 PM
I use a wired SM58 and a pair of KAM cordless for the singers.

Obviously you pay your money you take your choice

The Shure is very good quality, the KAMs are good enough for the karaoke singers and also double up for speeches or any announcements the client wishes to make.

A1DL
02-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Beta 58s - vox
SM58s - vox
EW500s - vox
C747s - lectern
C451s - overheads & hats
SM57s - snare, bass cabs, most instruments
Beta 52 - kick
PG52 - kick (spare)
PG56s - toms
AR133s - DIs (I'll include them as they output at mic level ;) )

well, you did ask :D :D :D

axeman
02-01-2008, 07:19 PM
I have various mic's ive collected over the years sure, senhieser and peavey and i use to take and use them for the karaoke singers, until a drunken guy sang born to be wild swinging and waving my newest sm58 around his head, then thew it onto the floor in a show of bravado, so now i take a mic for me and a set of 3 mics i got for £14.99 from maplins, they are coloured red, blue and yellow so as an added bonus i can tell at a glance which to turn down or up, ussually down...lol

Dragonfly
02-01-2008, 07:47 PM
I have a KAM cordless and a Shure PG48....which i like.....

Both are fine but i do prefer my PG48.......the quality is a lot better and it also feels right......can't wait till it grows up onto a 58.....:p :D :D :D :D

have you been playing with my gear again mr. Brown :D :D :D people are already talking :D :D

I have an sm58 well 2 actually spare is the same and a gemini cordless which i think is due for replacement at somepoint this year maybe.

colint
02-01-2008, 07:53 PM
I use 3 x sm58's
1 x sm57
and an electrovoice nd200
and there all well funky mics but after using a 58 for the last god know how many years I'm starting to favour the e.v mic the most, don't ask why cos I don't know!

Digitalsounds
02-01-2008, 07:57 PM
we use sennhieser 835 & 845s wired mics for karaoke and for wireless systems we use sennhieser ew165

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-01-2008, 08:00 PM
(Apart from Tony) I don't see that listing what we all use is actually helping as we don't know the application he needs them for!

colint
02-01-2008, 08:11 PM
(Apart from Tony) I don't see that listing what we all use is actually helping as we don't know the application he needs them for!

Gotta be a 58 then init?
good for vocals, singing, speach, drums keeping doors open, banging nails in oh and Dj's (sorry) :rolleyes:

Shaun
02-01-2008, 08:31 PM
I use SM 58's. Two Wireless and one wired

paul cowen
02-01-2008, 08:33 PM
for karaoke

BeerFunk
02-01-2008, 08:39 PM
SM58 and PG48 for backup, although ironically I am using the PG48 at the moment as I broke the connection on the SM58 (very flimsy soldering on it, I'll get round to fixing it!)

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-01-2008, 08:45 PM
for karaoke

If you don't want to spend the earth, look at Shure PG58s. They can be found for about £35 to £40 and are very good.

Tom
02-01-2008, 08:49 PM
i would say go for a corded mic as i dont think you want people walking off with your microphones. with a cord they are stuck to a distance (well the lengh of the cable).

Top brands:

Shure
Sennheiser
AKG
Samson

Excalibur
02-01-2008, 08:54 PM

That's kind of a blank canvas there for us to paint on! Let's see if I can make some serious, helpful suggestions.

Corded vocals :

Shure SM58 - Industry standard
Shure PG58 - Excellent mic, rated by many on here

Sennheiser - 845 upwards , very good

JTS receive good reports for the NTS8 ( I think )

Cordless

SM58 uhf - As above

Kam get good reports for a budget range

JTS also get very good reports, mid range upwards, I shall shortly be getting one on recommendation from here.

Posted before seeing the K word! Just go for lowest cost!!!!!

If you don't want to spend the earth, look at Shure PG58s. They can be found for about £35 to £40 and are very good.

Probably your best bet;)

A1DL
02-01-2008, 09:02 PM
just a word to the wise.... if buying mics on an online auction site, beware of counterfeits. There are certainly many fake Shures out there, and the price is often the biggest clue.

Bedtime reading:
http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=19241

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-01-2008, 09:13 PM
just a word to the wise.... if buying mics on an online auction site, beware of counterfeits. There are certainly many fake Shures out there, and the price is often the biggest clue.

Bedtime reading:
http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=19241

And here (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Pro-Audio-DJ-Equipment/Microphones/auction-132978233.htm)too. The site is from New Zealand, but has some great pictures on to help you not buy a fake SM58.

DK Karaoke
02-01-2008, 11:32 PM
I just bought the Ultimate radio mics with the new Ultimate dvd/divx/cdg/.......... player, it plays them all.

Anyway I cant believe how good they sound, and there is virtually no feedback, even if you have them right on top of the speakers/amp:) :)

I think the equiv. price is about £70.00 for a set of two with one receiver.

Also started using the Ev mics and these are really nice. The shure sm58 is a bit too basey for me.

Excalibur
02-01-2008, 11:37 PM
I just bought the Ultimate radio mics with the new Ultimate dvd/divx/cdg/.......... player, it plays them all.

Anyway I cant believe how good they sound, and there is virtually no feedback, even if you have them right on top of the speakers/amp:) :)

I think the equiv. price is about £70.00 for a set of two with one receiver.

Also started using the Ev mics and these are really nice. The shure sm58 is a bit too basey for me.

Could we have a link please? That sounds interesting.

DK Karaoke
02-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Could we have a link please? That sounds interesting.

Which for the Ultimate or the Ev's?

Excalibur
02-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Be a devil. Both please, but it was the Ultimate which attracted my interest.:D

DK Karaoke
02-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Be a devil. Both please, but it was the Ultimate which attracted my interest.:D

Heres the Ultimate
http://www.karaokedirect.co.uk/karaoke-2007-deal-black-1996.html

Bought the Ev's from sound control - local shop, but a bit pricey - £90.00 but great sound, a bit too good for Joe Bloe, so use it personally. will get an appropriate link for you.

The good thing about the Ultimate player is that you can link to pc/hard drive via usb. Also ita a totally new build machine, not the older version which had problems.

Excalibur
03-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Thank you.:)

paul cowen
03-01-2008, 06:20 PM
where can i get sm58 from thats not fake and best price

whats diferents between swictched and unswitched please

this any good

http://www.electromusic.co.uk/catalog/Shure-SM58-40th-anniversary-watch-Boom-Stand-Lead--DELIVERY-p-17134.html

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-01-2008, 07:29 PM
whats diferents between swictched and unswitched please

The switched has a switch on the barrel of he mic and the unswitched doesn't.

this any good

http://www.electromusic.co.uk/catalog/Shure-SM58-40th-anniversary-watch-Boom-Stand-Lead--DELIVERY-p-17134.html

If you need a boom stand and lead, then yes.

Check here. (http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+500001+1003253&Ntk=gensearch_003&Ntt=sm58&Ntx=)

Unswitched £80

Switched £100

Tom
03-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Unswitched mics are better for live band use as some singers turn off the mics and forget about it. Then they complain that they cant be heard and shout at the sound tech till its fixed.

maby it could be a blonde moment. no offence to anyone.

A1DL
03-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Unswitched mics are better for live band use as some singers turn off the mics and forget about it. Then they complain that they cant be heard and shout at the sound tech till its fixed.

:agree: unswitched mics are better for all applications* IMHO, I hate switched mics with a passion, and am proud to say don't own any whatsoever.

* once exception - paging mics

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-01-2008, 09:04 PM
:agree: unswitched mics are better for all applications* IMHO, I hate switched mics with a passion

How come Tony?

Tom
03-01-2008, 09:05 PM
:agree: unswitched mics are better for all applications* IMHO, I hate switched mics with a passion, and am proud to say don't own any whatsoever.

* once exception - paging mics

also

1. its one less thing to go wrong and there a bit cheaper aswell.

and

2. for live use the sound engineer/s have complete controll over the singer. If they keep talking you can just mute them. I didnt just say that. ;)

A1DL
03-01-2008, 09:13 PM
How come Tony?

three reasons Daz-

(1) as Tom has indicated, in a live environment, vocalists and musicians inadvertently turn them off, and everyone (musos and punters) look at the FOH engineer and think he's a t***

(2) lots of the cheaper / unbranded switched mics that people sometimes want to connect produce a horrible "click" when turned on and off.

(3) gates or channel mutes do the job of the switch far more eloquently

Tony

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-01-2008, 09:47 PM
three reasons Daz-

(1) as Tom has indicated, in a live environment, vocalists and musicians inadvertently turn them off, and everyone (musos and punters) look at the FOH engineer and think he's a t***

(2) lots of the cheaper / unbranded switched mics that people sometimes want to connect produce a horrible "click" when turned on and off.

(3) gates or channel mutes do the job of the switch far more eloquently

Tony

Fair enough and the OP was asking about mics for karaoke.

But for Djing? Nah, give me a switched mic any day. :)

rob1963
03-01-2008, 11:43 PM
for Djing? Nah, give me a switched mic any day. :)

Agreed.

My friend got my SM58 for me, and he picked up the unswitched version.

Unfortunately, neither of my mixers have had an on/off switch for the mic, so this was a problem.

I solved it by getting hold of an XLR connector for the mic with a built in rotary switch.

Apart from turning the mic into a switched one, the other advantage is that it's not easy to tell that the red plastic circle on the XLR connector is actually a rotary on/off switch, so on those occasions when someone picks up my mic to try & do karaoke over a song, they can't see how to turn the mic on, so cannot be heard!

Excalibur
04-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Agreed.

My friend got my SM58 for me, and he picked up the unswitched version.

Unfortunately, neither of my mixers have had an on/off switch for the mic, so this was a problem.

I solved it by getting hold of an XLR connector for the mic with a built in rotary switch.

Apart from turning the mic into a switched one, the other advantage is that it's not easy to tell that the red plastic circle on the XLR connector is actually a rotary on/off switch, so on those occasions when someone picks up my mic to try & do karaoke over a song, they can't see how to turn the mic on, so cannot be heard!

Two points, one is that on Shure switched it used to be possible to rotate the switch stop, after 10 seconds work with a screwdriver, so that it was locked "on ", but could be returned to switched whenever you wished.

Secondly, I would never work with a mixer now where I could not individually censor each mic channel at the flick of a switch!:eek: ;) If you're discreet, and they don't see you do it, you can tell them it appears to be broken!;)

Tom
12-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Secondly, I would never work with a mixer now where I could not individually censor each mic channel at the flick of a switch!:eek: ;) If you're discreet, and they don't see you do it, you can tell them it appears to be broken!;)

i have to agree with you but i usually get people screaming and shouting down the mic because they know it's going to come out really loud. the kids are the worst.

A1DL
13-01-2008, 10:41 AM
i have to agree with you but i usually get people screaming and shouting down the mic because they know it's going to come out really loud. the kids are the worst.

insert a compressor... problem solved :)

Tony Scott
13-01-2008, 03:01 PM
I do very little in the way of Karaoke gigs, about 5 or 6 a year.

I needed some cheap mics for a company xmas party where they wanted an hour or two of Karaoke so got a t-bone 3x mic pack along with 3 stands, the whole lot came to about £45. http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_mb60_mikrofonset.htm These I understand are the same as the Behringer 3pack?

I was amazed at how good they sounded, no feedback and very solid construction. I was expecting some lightweight nasty plastic thing but was really pleasantly suprised.

I'm not suggesting for one minute they are as good as a Shure/EV etc. but for occasional Karaoke work they are great! :)

Allys_Karaoke_Show
24-01-2008, 01:59 AM
I use Wharfedale Pro mics for the karaoke and an AKG WMS400 wireless system for me and some of the good singers :) I also have a Shure SM58 for me, I have to say the Wharfedales are very good quality. My mate has a PG58 and they sound better than that. 3 for 50 quid!