PDA

View Full Version : Fuse checker?

DJWilson
11-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Hi

i wanted a fuse checker thing. i mean you can put two bits on the end of the fuse and it shows how much life is left. i think it is vitual espically when it coems to your amp.

p.s you knwo where i can get one?

thanks.

Danno13
11-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Err.. fuses don't have a life... they either work or they don't. You just need a multimeter to check if its dead or not.

A1DL
11-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Err.. fuses don't have a life... they either work or they don't. You just need a multimeter to check if its dead or not.

or simpler & cheaper, an electrical screwdriver with inbuilt LED for checking continuity.

Your Big Event
11-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Or just buy a new one, rather than buying an instrument to test something that cost pence.

A1DL
11-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Or just buy a new one, rather than buying an instrument to test something that cost pence.

there are situations when you want to be able to test the continuity of a fuse, rather than throwing it away and replacing it "in case" it is dead

BeerFunk
11-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Bit of a strange one, this. I have always been under the impression that a fuse will blow when a current larger than it is designed to take is passed through it, regardless of anything else. I suppose it may be technically possible that a fuse weakens over a very long period of time, so it's not that ridiculous a notion.

kilmeedyman
11-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Bit of a strange one, this. I have always been under the impression that a fuse will blow when a current larger than it is designed to take is passed through it, regardless of anything else. I suppose it may be technically possible that a fuse weakens over a very long period of time, so it's not that ridiculous a notion.

No, I suppose, not that ridiculous as a current going through a wire is effectively slowly wearing it out (otherwise there would be no friction and we would have discovered the utopic perfect superconductor!).

The thing is, I would expect it would take many, many years to wear out a fuse on that basis. Certainly more years than the rest of the amp would last.

Perhaps a testing screwdriver is the answer as at least it has another use to make it of real value.

DJWilson
12-01-2008, 10:16 AM
im askin because at school the caretaker had one for the lights and laptops etc...

and it shows how much current is left init.

i would to have one because then i no weather to change the fuse in my amp or cd player before a gig. just to be on the safe side and not to waste any fuses for no reason.

Corabar Steve
12-01-2008, 10:26 AM
and it shows how much current is left init.

As much as you pass through it. Fuses don't hold a current, they merely let one pass through (or not if it's too high)

rob1963
12-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi

i wanted a fuse checker thing. i mean you can put two bits on the end of the fuse and it shows how much life is left. i think it is vitual espically when it coems to your amp.

p.s you knwo where i can get one?

thanks.

A fuse is simply a short piece of wire.

I really wouldn't worry about checking them though.

I've never had a fuse blow in 25 years on the road.

In most cases, the fuses will last longer than the equipment they are in.

DJWilson
12-01-2008, 03:53 PM
A fuse is simply a short piece of wire.

I really wouldn't worry about checking them though.

I've never had a fuse blow in 25 years on the road.

In most cases, the fuses will last longer than the equipment they are in.

im wondering because i dont want to damage my speakers but i do know that EP2500 has a breaker thing so when power cuts out it dont blow speakers

kilmeedyman
12-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Nathan,

I understand that you want to keep your expensive equipment safe.
There are many things that you can do to help protect your equipment but would suggest that checking the fuses should be confined to making sure that you have some spare fuses should any of yours blow.

Fuses are, in actual fact, there to protect your equipment from an event such as an electrical surge or short, so that it doesn't send a high current through your equipment and damage it.

So, don't worry about checking your fuses, but if you want to add a bit of extra protection for your equipment, I would suggest that invest in 'surge protected' extension leads. You can buy them from B&Q or even Tesco, you can get two-way or four-way to suit how you set up your equipment.

That will, along with the fuses in your equipment's plugs etc. give more than adequate protection from dodgy electrical supplies etc.

If you are unsure, please come back here and ask. No question is too simple or basic and we will always help you where we can.

Phil

DJWilson
12-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Nathan,

I understand that you want to keep your expensive equipment safe.
There are many things that you can do to help protect your equipment but would suggest that checking the fuses should be confined to making sure that you have some spare fuses should any of yours blow.

Fuses are, in actual fact, there to protect your equipment from an event such as an electrical surge or short, so that it doesn't send a high current through your equipment and damage it.

So, don't worry about checking your fuses, but if you want to add a bit of extra protection for your equipment, I would suggest that invest in 'surge protected' extension leads. You can buy them from B&Q or even Tesco, you can get two-way or four-way to suit how you set up your equipment.

That will, along with the fuses in your equipment's plugs etc. give more than adequate protection from dodgy electrical supplies etc.

If you are unsure, please come back here and ask. No question is too simple or basic and we will always help you where we can.

Phil

thanks for clearing that up. i was just worried about blowing my speakers. when i get one of them surge extensions my speakers should be ok then a surge etc..?

kilmeedyman
12-01-2008, 04:45 PM
thanks for clearing that up. i was just worried about blowing my speakers. when i get one of them surge extensions my speakers should be ok then a surge etc..?

Are your speakers powered or do you have an amp and speakers?

Jiggles
12-01-2008, 04:52 PM
The fuses in a plug are there to protect he flex from over heating. The fuse in the appliance is to protect the appliance.

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Are your speakers powered or do you have an amp and speakers?

I'm guessing separate amp and speakers.

i would to have one because then i no weather to change the fuse in my amp or cd player before a gig. just to be on the safe side and not to waste any fuses for no reason.

kilmeedyman
12-01-2008, 07:12 PM
:thumbs_down:
The fuses in a plug are there to protect he flex from over heating.

Oops.. :thumbs_down: No, no, no, no

Nathan is asking for help. Can we stick to giving him that? Make sure you are right before posting or at least be constructive.

Jeez, what is it that means every post has to be critically analysed to death when the answer to the poster's question is important.

kilmeedyman
12-01-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm guessing separate amp and speakers.

Ok, so Nathan, you are extremely unlikely to blow your speakers as the result of any electrical irregularities. It would be your amp that would be most likely damaged adn we've covered how to protect that earlier.

A1DL
12-01-2008, 07:24 PM

Phil

horrible, white domestic ones :mad:

Jiggles
12-01-2008, 07:33 PM

Nathan is asking for help. Can we stick to giving him that? Make sure you are right before posting or at least be constructive.

Jeez, what is it that means every post has to be critically analysed to death when the answer to the poster's question is important.

WATCH IT!!

I had to learn that for my Standard grade Physics!!!!!

kilmeedyman
12-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Did you pass?

Jiggles
12-01-2008, 07:54 PM
I haven't done them yet! :lol:

kilmeedyman
12-01-2008, 07:57 PM

Give the guy a break. He's 15 and getting started.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with 'domestic grade' extensions, especially the surge protected ones. They will be PA tested I expect.

Plus they'll probably be using the same domestic grade electricity in the venue as in the housing estate down the road.

Don't understand the 'mad' smilie, I'm sure.

kilmeedyman
12-01-2008, 08:00 PM
I haven't done them yet! :lol:

Well go back and ask him again. Then good luck with them.

My daughter is doing her GCSE's this May too.

Jiggles
12-01-2008, 08:10 PM
He keeps drumming it to us!!

Andy Westcott
12-01-2008, 10:24 PM
I'll try to offer a simple answer in one post:
Fuses don't wear out with use. However, if a fuse is run at or slightly over its rated current, it will fail eventually due to degradation of the conductor as it could be running near red-hot, depending on how close to the limit the current actually is. Moot point though, as this merely indicates you have the wrong fuse installed.

There is no simple way to measure how heat damaged a fuse is, so forget that.

If a fuse does blow, it usually indicates a fault somewhere, so simply replacing it may simply result in another blown fuse.

You could make a little tester out of a battery, an LED and a bit of wire - this would quickly tell you whether the fuse was OK or not.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-01-2008, 07:06 PM

I use these and always have done. They are pat tested, surge protected on RCDs and taped down out of the way and out of sight of the customer.

What's with the 4 gang colour racism Tony? :D :p

Penfold42
09-05-2008, 02:53 PM
I use these and always have done. They are pat tested, surge protected on RCDs and taped down out of the way and out of sight of the customer.

I've just been asked by a hotel do i have RCD's, told them they are surge protected....she seems OK about that......never run the cables through RCD's before....:o ........as said all leads are surge....but not RCD's.

Does it get bulky at the mains point?...i imagine they are chunky bits so therefore taking up more room.....

...thoughts....

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-05-2008, 03:26 PM
I've just been asked by a hotel do i have RCD's, told them they are surge protected....she seems OK about that......never run the cables through RCD's before....:o ........as said all leads are surge....but not RCD's.

Does it get bulky at the mains point?...i imagine they are chunky bits so therefore taking up more room.....

...thoughts....

Mine are like this and don't take any room at all.

Ajaysdisco
09-05-2008, 06:55 PM
I don’t want to go off subject but an RCD doesn’t stop a surge.
An RCD works by “monitoring” the live and neutral, if there is an imbalance of more than 30mA it will “trip”.
An imbalance will happen if the wire is cut or if there is a problem with the equipment and power is going to “earth”.

A surge protector is a different thing; these are normally incorporated in special extension leads, the work by “absorbing” spikes in the electric supply.

It’s very technical; I spent four years getting to grips with it! :p

Hope it makes some sense

One Vision
09-05-2008, 09:02 PM
It cant be that much of a strange question as there is a tool made for the job

Battery, Bulb and Fuse Tester only £4.99
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223664&doy=9m5&C=SO&U=strat15
http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/300/n11ga.jpg

Also sold on fleebay same price with postage
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Blue-Spot-Battery-Bulb-And-Fuse-Tester-UK-Seller_W0QQitemZ150244243968QQihZ005QQcategoryZ309 17QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Penfold42
10-05-2008, 11:20 AM
An RCD works by “monitoring” the live and neutral, if there is an imbalance of more than 30mA it will “trip”.
An imbalance will happen if the wire is cut or if there is a problem with the equipment and power is going to “earth”.

A surge protector is a different thing; these are normally incorporated in special extension leads, the work by “absorbing” spikes in the electric supply.

Thanks but my head hurt's now......:D

Think i get it.....

Anyone had any problems using RCD's?

Corabar Steve
10-05-2008, 11:28 AM
No, but then I've never cut a cable during a gig :sj:

I use ones similar to the one Darren posted above along with these (http://cpc.farnell.com/PL03295/electrical-lighting-security/product.us0?sku=pro-elec-19784r)

Ajaysdisco
10-05-2008, 12:35 PM
I can’t see the need for using them for mobile discos, if there is a fault with the equipment a fuse will blow.
Normally RCD’s are used for lawnmowers and hedge cutters, personally I never had the need for a lawnmower at a gig! :D

I suppose at the end of the day it’s always better to be safe rather than sorry.

If you want to make things neater you can remove the plug and rewire it into one of these (http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16930/Electrical/RCDs/RCD-Plug).

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-05-2008, 12:38 PM
If you want to make things neater you can remove the plug and rewire it into one of these (http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16930/Electrical/RCDs/RCD-Plug).

Why on earth would you do that? :confused:

Ajaysdisco
10-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Its one less thing to plug in, remember or to lose

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-05-2008, 01:03 PM
But an RCD is small, can be plugged straight in and kept with your other kit. I can't see the point of rewiring anything.

Corabar Steve
10-05-2008, 01:04 PM
I suppose if you have one on the other end of a surge protected 6 way it could come in handy.

Although bare in mind the proximity of a lot of 13 amp sockets to the floor, where would the cables go?

Ajaysdisco
10-05-2008, 01:12 PM
I suppose if you have one on the other end of a surge protected 6 way it could come in handy.

Although bare in mind the proximity of a lot of 13 amp sockets to the floor, where would the cables go?
The cable comes out the bottom, they are normally extended above the socket so if the socket is near the floor it shouldn’t be a problem.

Vibrant Sounds
10-05-2008, 03:01 PM

Hmmm, someone else giving advice that they know nothing about. The lad is correct, and much more likely to pass his exams if he listens to his tutor rather than listening to you.

I quote from page 47 of the IEE code of Practise for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment:

15.14 Plug Fuses

The fuse in the plug is not fitted to protect the appliance, although in practise it often does this. In most countries the plug is unfused. If the appliance needs a fuse to comply with it's standard it must be fitted in the appliance. The fuse in the plug protects the flex against faults and can allow the use of a reduced cross-sectional area flexible cable.

Ajaysdisco
10-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Hmmm, someone else giving advice that they know nothing about. The lad is correct, and much more likely to pass his exams if he listens to his tutor rather than listening to you.

I quote from page 47 of the IEE code of Practise for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment:

15.14 Plug Fuses

The fuse in the plug is not fitted to protect the appliance, although in practise it often does this. In most countries the plug is unfused. If the appliance needs a fuse to comply with it's standard it must be fitted in the appliance. The fuse in the plug protects the flex against faults and can allow the use of a reduced cross-sectional area flexible cable.

:agree:

Jiggles
10-05-2008, 04:42 PM

15.14 Plug Fuses

Thank you for backing up my point! :)

Paul James Promotions
10-05-2008, 05:21 PM
The fuse in the plug protects the flex

But, only if the flex is rated at equal to or above the rating of the ruse ;) :)

A plug with a 13a fuse won't do much to save a cable rated at 5a.

Kernow
10-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Normally RCD’s are used for lawnmowers and hedge cutters, personally I never had the need for a lawnmower at a gig! :D

Then you're clearly not at the cutting edge of the disco business !! :D