PDA

View Full Version : Allen & Heath any good?

One Vision
21-01-2008, 04:56 PM
does anybody use Allen & Heath mixing desks?
As it stands I have seen a few and thought they looked the dogs danglies but have heard bad feedback on the reliability side i.e. usually if we get a mixer in for repair its usually an Allen & Heath.
Allen & Heath are pretty high priced so you would expect at least the reliability side to be on the ball.

I would rather hear from the horses mouth though, the actual people that use them.

DJ James Lake
21-01-2008, 05:04 PM
They are one of the best out there. Allen & Heaths Support is second to none.

I have the Xone 3d cost approx £1500 and cant fault it.

groovy-nights
21-01-2008, 05:12 PM
I have a xone 62 no problems with it

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Great mixers, fantastic faders, but the bigger ones are a bit overkill for a mobile IMO.

They've only just decided to make DJ friendly 19" mixers too.http://www.decks.co.uk/products/mixers/allen_heath/xone_s2

Tom
21-01-2008, 05:15 PM
I dont have one myslef but have used one and they are really nice mixer to use. this was a 32 channel mixer but thats not the point.

If you can afford one then go for it. :)

Dragonfly
21-01-2008, 05:27 PM
a lot better than hellen and health ......

from what I understand Allen and Heath are exceptional mixers I have seen alot of threads on here in the last year or so where people have said how good the build quality is on them and how good the components are .... If you can afford one I think it would be a sound investment .

Kernow
21-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi Karl

Why not arrange a trip down to Penryn (it's near Falmouth) and check 'em out at source. My neighbour works there so would you like me to ask him for info ??

Danno13
21-01-2008, 06:27 PM
The thing is though, the S2 doesn't appear to do much more than the Xone62... in fact it doesn't have the 4 band EQ like the 62. So essentially you're paying for the convenience of having a 4U unit rather than an 8U one!

Oh.. actually they did add USB support, but its useless as there's only one channel so no good for proper PC-DJing :D

DJ James Lake
21-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Compared with most other mixers on the market, they are built the way mixers used to be....to last.

Worth every penny.

The 3d is awesome if you want a fantastic mixer and midi controllers for controlling a laptop. Nothing else like it on the market that comes anywhere close.

Sound quality takes some believing as well, plug in an Allen & Heath after any other mixer and you will think you have a totally new sound system.

Most problems users have had with repairs are when local shops have been used. Allen & Heath have support like no other company I know I would only ever get them to carry out servicing or repairs.

flatliners
21-01-2008, 08:44 PM
alot of top djs use them because one of there mixers works well with ablton live
allen and heath are well built.you could also try rane mixers now they are the dogs

Danno13
21-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Yeah.. but they weren't exactly the first to introduce MIDI control......its all marketing at the end of the day.

I still maintain that they don't produce anything suitable for the mobile DJ. If thet were to make a Xone:62 in rackmount format then i'd change my mind, but instead they made the S2, added USB & removed a feature and then added £300.

It's sound business logic, but perhaps they could widen their market appeal....

DJ James Lake
21-01-2008, 11:59 PM
I still maintain that they don't produce anything suitable for the mobile DJ. If thet were to make a Xone:62 in rackmount format then i'd change my mind, but instead they made the S2, added USB & removed a feature and then added £300.

It's sound business logic, but perhaps they could widen their market appeal....

Thats why they make rackmount kits for the 62 then?

Danno13
22-01-2008, 07:01 AM
Yeah but who has 8U spare in a rack?

DJ James Lake
22-01-2008, 12:33 PM

Well me for one and mine is a tad bigger than 8u.

The 62 was designed for turntabalists or CDJ users same as the Pioneer 500 etc.

There certainly is no reason why these can't be used for mobile use

Yeah if you have a twin cd deck they are a bit of a pain, but thats not the market they were aimed at.

Not everyone uses twin players.

Corabar Steve
22-01-2008, 01:38 PM

How big's your rack?!?!?!?!?!?

I had enough trouble getting a 5U mixer in mine! (sorted now, thanks to Denon:sj:)

One Vision
22-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Hya Kernow sorry mate I missed your post, yeh if you can arrange that would be great stuff thanks bud

Kernow
22-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Hya Kernow sorry mate I missed your post, yeh if you can arrange that would be great stuff thanks bud

No problem mate, hopefully our schedules will overlap sometime at the weekend so I'll have a word on your behalf.

In the meantime why not check out http://www.allen-heath.com/UK/ it's pretty comprehensive.

Cheers

Rob #2 :beer1:

Tom
22-01-2008, 08:25 PM

I do. lol ;) :D

BeerFunk
22-01-2008, 09:10 PM

The 62 was designed for turntabalists or CDJ users same as the Pioneer 500 etc.

There certainly is no reason why these can't be used for mobile use

Yeah if you have a twin cd deck they are a bit of a pain, but thats not the market they were aimed at.

Not everyone uses twin players.
Most mobile DJs do, I'd guess at over 75%.

I do. lol ;) :D
When you're out every weekend lugging equipment around (as I once was, not anymore thank goodness :)), you'll realise why most DJs use compact 4U mixers and 2U CD decks ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2008, 09:12 PM
When you're out every weekend lugging equipment around (as I once was, not anymore thank goodness

You given up mobile work then? :confused:

BeerFunk
22-01-2008, 09:18 PM
You given up mobile work then? :confused:
Oh, no, don't think I ever will! Just toned it down to maybe one booking a month on average, as I found I wasn't enjoying it as much when I was out every weekend (I think I mentioned somethign about it on here a few months ago). I also help out friends, and cover as a backup DJ at a couple of clubs, so I'm still out most weeks.

Anyway, my point was (and talking from experience) - I've been there and done that carrying around massive flightcases with multiple decks and mixers, and other fundamentally unnecessary equipment... you don't mind as much if you only do a gig here and there, but you start to seriously reconsider if you're heaving it about every night! :mad:

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Anyway, my point was (and talking from experience) - I've been there and done that carrying around massive flightcases with multiple decks and mixers, and other fundamentally unnecessary equipment... you don't mind as much if you only do a gig here and there, but you start to seriously reconsider if you're heaving it about every night! :mad:

Hmmm. I have always considered that as part of the job and although I don't love it, it's never really bothered me. (talking from considerably more experience :p :D :D )

Tom
22-01-2008, 09:21 PM
When you're out every weekend lugging equipment around (as I once was, not anymore thank goodness :)), you'll realise why most DJs use compact 4U mixers and 2U CD decks ;)

I understand what you are saying. I have a 5u mixer in my rack. but my rack is a massive one with everything in it, and soon ill have draws in it so i can carry more stuff without taking up more space.

BeerFunk
22-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Hmmm. I have always considered that as part of the job and although I don't love it, it's never really bothered me. (talking from considerably more experience :p :D :D )
So you would happily carry around an 8U mixer over a 4U mixer? I had a big Gator case that had 10U on top, and 6U underneath, and although I only had an amp, decks and mixer in it most of the time, the size coupled with the weight made it very dangerous to move around. In terms of business, think 'risk assessment' - where would we be if we damaged our spines, for example? :eek:

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2008, 09:46 PM
So you would happily carry around an 8U mixer over a 4U mixer? I had a big Gator case that had 10U on top, and 6U underneath, and although I only had an amp, decks and mixer in it most of the time, the size coupled with the weight made it very dangerous to move around. In terms of business, think 'risk assessment' - where would we be if we damaged our spines, for example? :eek:

Oh come on Callum. You're a young man and you've given up mobile DJing every week 'cos the gear is too heavy?

What is the world coming to....

My deck now is probably about 35Kg and the Mackie subs are 40Kg. There are trolleys about if you can't or won't lift things about.

I used to carry about bread crates full of 100s of 12" singles when I was younger and they must have weighed in at over 50Kg.

It's part and parcel fo the job, always has been and always will be.

BeerFunk
22-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Oh come on Callum. You're a young man and you've given up mobile DJing every week 'cos the gear is too heavy?

My deck now is probably about 35Kg and the Mackie subs are 40Kg. There are trolleys about if you can't or won't lift things about.

I used to carry about bread crates full of 100s of 12" singles when I was younger and they must have weighed in at over 50Kg.

That's not what I said, I said I cut down on it because I wasn't enjoying it as much when I was out every weekend doing the same thing, playing the same tracks (re: the 'out of date tunes' (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=10637&page=1) thread). There were varying reasons, moving equipment is only an issue in difficult venues (stairs, narrow corridors/doorways etc).

I didn't want to go off topic (too late), but the mixer 'sizes' got me started :rolleyes:

Dragonfly
22-01-2008, 10:19 PM

Indeed now I have a disability that means I have a decidedly dodgy back and legs one of which hasnt functioned for over 4 months with no sign of improvement , however I have tried to design an effective and quality show using the lightest equipment possible I adapt and change things to suit my changing ability , yes I have help with carrying lifting etc in the form of some great friends and family but .... if I was left in a hole for whatever reason the show has been designed so I can at a real push do it on my own ......indeed I can't walk for 3 days after but I can get through a night.

heavy gear is part of the job as most of the top quality stuff is quite heavy but I don't think I'd carry something about that wasn't needed for a particular function , that said i now have a space in my flightcase with my mixer as the cortex has left the building :eek: :eek: :eek:

I guess my point is that it doesnt need to be heavy to be good.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2008, 10:26 PM
That's not what I said, I said I cut down on it because I wasn't enjoying it as much when I was out every weekend doing the same thing, playing the same tracks

OK, I took your post the wrong way then that said...

Which I thought was the reason you were doing so much mobile stuff.

DJ James Lake
22-01-2008, 11:01 PM
How big's your rack?!?!?!?!?!?

I had enough trouble getting a 5U mixer in mine! (sorted now, thanks to Denon:sj:)

My mixer rack is Road Ready 11u custom case for the Xone 3d and is easily manageable. I use a combination of Denon 3500s in seperate cases or Technics decks.

I'm oldskool and used to the vinyl style of dj'ing, just cant get that from a twin deck.

I would feel extremely frustrated with anything less.

One Vision
22-01-2008, 11:17 PM
The desk type mixers are only a real problem if powerd as they are heavy, but if you get the unpowerd then all your actually looking at size wise for say a 10-14 channel mixer that covers everything is a lightweight case the size of one of the alloy cases bought from B&Q

Corabar Steve
22-01-2008, 11:27 PM
So are you going for an A&H then Karl?

One Vision
23-01-2008, 12:01 AM
now that's a big question Steve lol, am not sure mainly due to the price but am interested in finding out more about them.
I would imagine the problems I have herd of with them would be the powered versions and no doubt due to be being over driven.
We tend to work on the theory that use unpowered but rather use larger amps and run at 8ohms so far less to go wrong and the gear last longer as the gear is working not as hard.
I know everybody has different theories on how to run their setup this is just how we tend to work.

Mark Wild
10-12-2008, 07:22 PM
I just bought this Allen & Heath PA12CP for £400, the guy I bought it from teaches saxophone and bought it in February to use for live gigs, he used it 3 times (so he said). With the flightcase I think I good a good deal, what do you reckon lads? I've always used powered mixers so its a case of old habits. I feel it leaves me ready for anything, due to the many inputs. It weighs 30 kgs flight cased, but i'm a big strapping lad so no worries about that. All part of the game no? :)

DJWilson
10-12-2008, 07:37 PM
my school has the GL2400, very good, great brand IMO