PDA

View Full Version : Going to karaoke

djmonty2
31-01-2008, 10:39 AM
I've been wanting to go into karaoke for a while and have been looking at the laptop way of doing it, thing is just dont know how to do it at all.

what software and hardwear will i need?

Looked at some packages but a bit dear. I have a laptop so just need softwear and whatever hardwear i need????

i've had a look at Swift ELite 4.0 and it seems great, if I were to buy that and get it on my laptop what would I do next e.g getting songs, hardwear, hooking it up to my speakers ect.

Royalblue
02-02-2008, 01:20 PM
I've been wanting to go into karaoke for a while and have been looking at the laptop way of doing it, thing is just dont know how to do it at all.

Looked at some packages but a bit dear. I have a laptop so just need softwear and whatever hardwear i need????

i've had a look at Swift ELite 4.0 and it seems great, if I were to buy that and get it on my laptop what would I do next e.g getting songs, hardwear, hooking it up to my speakers ect.

The problem with laptop karaoke is that it is illegal. Technically even if you already own the original CD+Gs. I run all my disco stuff using PCDJ but the karaoke side of things is done with a Karaoke player and original CD+Gs. The problem with setting up karaoke is that the cost of software is insignificant to the cost of getting discs. Its unlikely you will have problems with trading standards if you can show you have the originals with you. PCDJ have a Karaoke add on which is about £70 but you will need PCDJ software as I think, but I might be wrong. The best way I've found of getting hold of tracks is to keep an eye out for job lots on ebay. I managed to get 200 original discs (second hand and needed a bit of TLC) for about £300 and they were all Sunfly, Sound Choice and EK discs. Just watch for people selling MP3+G files. These are illegal. I once got sold a hard drive full of files but I handed over to trading standards and got my money back

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-02-2008, 01:26 PM
The problem with laptop karaoke is that it is illegal. Technically even if you already own the original CD+Gs.

And as it stands, so is DJing with a laptop, PC or media reader.

The licenses will be with us soon for all. ;)

Royalblue
02-02-2008, 01:31 PM
And as it stands, so is DJing with a laptop, PC or media reader.

The licenses will be with us soon for all. ;)

I think as long as you obtain everything legally there is little to worry about!

Such a confusing world!

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-02-2008, 01:54 PM
I think as long as you obtain everything legally there is little to worry about!

Let's not make assumtions about this and make untrue comments 'cos other people might think they are true.

There is an amnesty at the moment until the MCPS and PPL bring out their licences which will be very soon hopefully.

A1DL
02-02-2008, 02:15 PM

I prefer one of these, long been my favourite hardwear, have a Google and you will see they are also available in a very nice shade of blue too :p

https://images.aiesupply.com/images/db/nor_4229-112-01.jpg

Royalblue
03-02-2008, 01:49 AM
[QUOTE=
There is an amnesty at the moment until the MCPS and PPL bring out their licences which will be very soon hopefully.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that an assumption?

mb3
03-02-2008, 09:58 AM

:quiet: :quiet:
:quiet:

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-02-2008, 02:00 PM

No.

I am a member of the LWP and we have been meeting with the MCPS for a while now, hence the reason for my posts. :)

NoClue
06-02-2008, 04:43 PM
There is an amnesty at the moment until the MCPS and PPL bring out their licences which will be very soon hopefully.

Hi,

New to the forums, only just joined.

We too are looking at going down the Karaoke route and I've been looking for a while for information about licencing and it's really confusing :bang:

PRS, MCPS, DIGITAL DJ ........ :eek:

Are we to assume from the above that as long as the venue have an entertainments licence or whatever is needed for them to have music/video on the premisis, then WE don't need anything at all until MCPS/PPL pull their collective fingers out?

Cheers,
Ross

Silver
09-02-2008, 04:34 PM
You can try this, extremely stable and you can dj with it also ......... http://www.otsav.com/