PDA

View Full Version : Advertising with a wedding shop.

Tom
05-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Today i got a phone call from a local bridal shop requesting my services. They wanted to know if i was intrested, so i said yes. Somehow they got my address??? Anyway

I drove to the shop and waited around for 10 mins, and would you guess.....no show.

I got a call from the folks at home saying that there is some one from the shop at my house. So i drove home and said hello and we got down to buisness.

Basically for a 1.5 inch square space (the smallest one) in an apointment card would cost me £330 plus vat. :eek: .Nowi think that is well over priced. And he had the che**** tell me that was the cheapest he could do it for me.

He did his sales pitch that they would be giving these to everybody who is in the wedding buisness ect. The strange thing was he didnt push me to buy anything. :confused:

Anyway, i told him that its not at the top of my list atm but maby in the future i might look into this. He said ok,he grabed his bag and he went.

Overall he was a nice bloke but the price was way to much for what he was offering.

has anybody been asked for this kind of advertising???

Sam
05-03-2008, 05:16 PM
yes.. often get asked to go into 'wedding brochures' for local venues.. etc.
But these are often more resonable on the pricing and because it is a certain venue there is only 1 or 2 discos listed against your name.. so it makes the advert a lot more reasonable.

If that makes sense :S.

Anyway. to me. that sounds like a lot Tom.
And did he really request your services and then try to sell you advertising? The way you put it makes it sound like they tricked you into a meeting?

ppentertainments
05-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Had a similar call last year from someone claiming to be producing a local reputable hotels wedding guide. Foolishly agreed as had decided to try 2 of these. Turns out they were actually only producing a mag to hand out at a wedding fair held at the hotel. Results - none !!!

I think the best way is dealing direct with companies. I have entered in another hotel wedding guide (dealing direct with the hotel) and have had great results.

When phoning around the average price for a credit card size way around £200 so the price you were quoted does seem excessive

Tom
05-03-2008, 06:45 PM
The way you put it makes it sound like they tricked you into a meeting?

In a way i agree. I dont know where they got my address from. I might give them a call tomorrow and ask where they got my details from.

When phoning around the average price for a credit card size way around £200 so the price you were quoted does seem excessive

Thats what i was thinking when he said the price. My jaw opened (in my mind) and said "thats not that bad". lol

Sam
05-03-2008, 06:52 PM
In a way i agree. I dont know where they got my address from. I might give them a call tomorrow and ask where they got my details from.

Thats what i was thinking when he said the price. My jaw opened (in my mind) and said "thats not that bad". lol

Would be interesting to see..
The main thing you should ask for is there statistics. Why the hell will you be prepared to pay 300+ if they can't prove how many bookings they helped to get.... type thingy.

And if I were you Tom I would have told them where to go lol! To be quite honest I only like advertising opportunities that I find for myself. It gives me time to research it and really want it instead of being pushed into a corner.

the people I have the most are yellow pages. They phoned up and offered em a rather expensive advert. I said I would think about it and can I have details to phone back on in a week or so. They hung up. I pressume that is because if I phoned back.. then that salesperson wouldn't get a commision so they couldn't be assed?

wensleydale
05-03-2008, 07:22 PM
i suspect this is an ad company operating on behalf of the shop- not the same thing as the shop selling the ad space.

i would be wary...

Vectis
05-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Had a similar call about a week ago. From what I can tell they're offering bridal shops free leaflets in return for the ad. revenue, then ringing round local related services flogging off the space at the highest possible rate.

A bit like the 'advertise in the curry shop takeaway menu' guys recently.

I don't do print advertising unless I take the initiative, even then it's very selective.

Penfold42
05-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi Tom.....

Listen to what DJ 'Yoda' tells you........:)