PDA

View Full Version : Def not a karaoke singer......

DJmissbehaving
14-03-2008, 02:10 PM
After spending most of the day on my friends karaoke i have realised that i should definately stick to my day job. Recorded it on my phone and i can probably admit to ruining at least seven songs.....maybe even more than that..
Apologies if anyone was in range and heard me :Laugh:

Kernow
15-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi Pammie

Carrying on the fine tradition of Michelle & Leon ?:rose:

;)

DJmissbehaving
15-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Far from it.....i would go as far to say i am one of the x factor rejects. Saying that, alot of them became famous because of that...hahaha

axeman
15-03-2008, 12:03 PM
i have a similar problem, but wanted to get into karaoke, so spent hours and hours in my den, running the karaoke through my pc, singing song after song till i found a few songs i could get away with (just about).

so now when i perform i know exactly what songs to sing along too, and dont attempt anything else, and peolpe think im a reasonable singer....lol

there are loads of songs that require very little talant or vocal range, its just a case of finding the suitable ones for you.

ppentertainments
15-03-2008, 02:48 PM
A lot about karaoke is your performance and how confident you look. Lets face it there aren't that many really good karaoke singers but there are some bad singers which give a good performance and gets everyone going. I find some rock songs are the easiest but know most people like 60's.
p.s. I think I will come near the top, if not top, of poor singers but hey - i enjoy it and the crowd always know that.

Kernow
15-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Far from it.....i would go as far to say i am one of the x factor rejects. Saying that, alot of them became famous because of that...hahaha

Well Michelle & Leon both made a lot of noise & then just dissapeared, so I reckon you're in their league at the very least :D

Seriously if you're gonna go down the Karaoke route, you will often be required to do a couple of numbers to a)show the equipment works and b)keep the gig going.

pp has good advice, avoid the really challenging stuff (Abba, Bon Jovi etc.)and just become confident with a few of the easier songs.

DJmissbehaving
15-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Does a karaoke DJ always have to sing a song during a gig?? If you were a really rubbish singer and there was no requests coming in would you sing??
I love having a laugh but the thought of people laughing at me is a different story i think.....x

djsteve10
15-03-2008, 06:07 PM
I do karaoke now and again and i dont sing to be honest with you,
For one i can't sing and then for two i am the one providing the karaoke for the punters to sing on.

But if no one wants to sing then its back to the music and some friendly encouragement on the mic to try and get some people to get up and sing.

BeerFunk
15-03-2008, 07:13 PM
This is a classic question - does a the KJ have to sing? I'd say no, but then a lot of karaoke purists (spot the irony :p) will say yes.

If you're filling in with disco, I don't see why you'd have to sing, but then you may have to at least once just to let people see the karaoke running.

One Vision
15-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Rolf Harris - The Court Of King Caractacus now you don't need to be a good singer for that one just quick gobbed :D

http://www.youtube.com/v/U-Lw1bDdwgs&hl=en

ppentertainments
15-03-2008, 11:45 PM
I never do just karaoke. I always say karaoke-disco to protect myself. Have done karaoke where people are up all night and had some where no-one comes up. By doing disco it is always a good excuse if the crowd are drunk and may damage microphones / equipment. I normally do karaoke till about 1030 then disco till finish. Like everything though i 'play it by ear'.

Mister Musicman
16-03-2008, 09:45 AM
I never do just karaoke. I always say karaoke-disco to protect myself. Have done karaoke where people are up all night and had some where no-one comes up. By doing disco it is always a good excuse if the crowd are drunk and may damage microphones / equipment. I normally do karaoke till about 1030 then disco till finish. Like everything though i 'play it by ear'.

I also think PP ents has the correct approach and actually expect some microphone damage so only use the cheapest mikes I can find. As for getting up to start the ball rolling, my usual tactic is to give them a song (not too well sung) before announcing "If you don't want to hear more of that...get up yourself!"

Rob (Mister Musicman) - Purveyor of Leicestershire Cheese :Laugh:
www.mistermusicman.co.uk

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-03-2008, 12:04 PM
If you are purely a KJ then it is imperative that you sing. It's all about entertainment isn't it?

A few years ago, I was presenting karaoke for 500 OU students at Reading Uni. This was for 9 weeks during the summer and every week I started with a 30 mins set myself as people arrived at different times and I felt I couldn't just sit there and do nothing until they were ready to sing.

Again,I will differ from others here, as we use reasonably expensive radio mics and market out services at a higher level. I bought cheap rubbish and they didn't last. If people ruin equipment, they pay for it and this is pointed out in the T&Cs.

I think karaoke/discos are a nightmare, as you always get arguements with people wanting to sing when there's the disco and people wanting to dance when there's karaoke.

ppentertainments
16-03-2008, 12:14 PM
If you are purely a KJ then it is imperative that you sing. It's all about entertainment isn't it?

A few years ago, I was presenting karaoke for 500 OU students at Reading Uni. This was for 9 weeks during the summer and every week I started with a 30 mins set myself as people arrived at different times and I felt I couldn't just sit there and do nothing until they were ready to sing.

Again,I will differ from others here, as we use reasonably expensive radio mics and market out services at a higher level. I bought cheap rubbish and they didn't last. If people ruin equipment, they pay for it and this is pointed out in the T&Cs.

I think karaoke/discos are a nightmare, as you always get arguements with people wanting to sing when there's the disco and people wanting to dance when there's karaoke.

If any microphones are damaged what are the chances of the client paying up ? I have never been in this situation but would think the chances of that happening are very slim. I for one could not afford, or even think worthwhile, to go through procedures to claim the money back. I agree you can market your services higher with better equipment but the risks v income has to be considered IMO

Have never had much trouble with doing karaoke/disco. I encourage everyone to sing early on then if anyone asks to dance inform them that there will be more disco later in the evening. People who want to dance often get up while the karaoke is on anyway.

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-03-2008, 12:19 PM
In my experience people all want to sing towards the end, when they've had a few drinky poos, so I'm not sure that stopping the karaoke at 10:30pm is a great idea? Surely they must have just got going by then?

ppentertainments
16-03-2008, 12:28 PM
In my experience people all want to sing towards the end, when they've had a few drinky poos, so I'm not sure that stopping the karaoke at 10:30pm is a great idea? Surely they must have just got going by then?

Won't neccesarily stop the karaoke but if people have had too many drinky poos it is a good way to prevent any damage I think may occur. I find by about 9 they have had some dutch courage but often by later in the evening have had too much.

DJmissbehaving
16-03-2008, 01:09 PM
What if it was a karaoke/disco and you were the DJ. You had no singers/ requests and you are a very bad singer?? Would you stil sing or just play some music and keep reminding the party that karaoke is on??

I am a very poor singer but i love a good laugh but feel i would probably ruin the gig if i was to sing.....

axeman
16-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi pam. there will be songs in your karaoke catalogue that you can get away with singing, it's just a case of finding them. i dunno what would suit your voice, so you should try practicing around the house first,

if like you say you are not a great singer then steer clear of songs sung originally by great singers ie karen carpenter, whitney, leona etc

even the worst singer in the world could chant out a version of
"always look on the bright side of life" or "oh so quiet by bjork"
"money (thats what i want) - flying lizards" theres loads where the original singers were not great to start with...lol, just think of all the punky / new wave type songs.

ppentertainments
16-03-2008, 02:28 PM
What if it was a karaoke/disco and you were the DJ. You had no singers/ requests and you are a very bad singer?? Would you stil sing or just play some music and keep reminding the party that karaoke is on??

I am a very poor singer but i love a good laugh but feel i would probably ruin the gig if i was to sing.....

Would depend on the crowd. In the past I have found a lot of younger ones (mainly female but not being sexist) request karaoke but really just want disco. I think karaoke has a but of a buzz to it.

As far as being a poor singer as axeman says there are some easy to sing songs and as i mentioned earlier a lot is about the fun not serious singing. I am terrible but involve the crowd, get them up dancing etc which helps. My personal opinion is to look confident.

Tom
16-03-2008, 03:13 PM
As someone has already said if you are a karaoke dj then you should be able to sing.

Bit off topic but when i was at college i was taught how to sing correctly like standing up straight, opening your mouth and projecting your voice. Even though i know how to sing i still choose not to. :lol:

I guess if the money was ok and the buisness was there then i guess i would think about doing it but i dont have the confidence in myself to sing infront of people full stop. lol

DJmissbehaving
16-03-2008, 04:06 PM
As someone has already said if you are a karaoke dj then you should be able to sing.

Bit off topic but when i was at college i was taught how to sing correctly like standing up straight, opening your mouth and projecting your voice. Even though i know how to sing i still choose not to. :lol:

I guess if the money was ok and the buisness was there then i guess i would think about doing it but i dont have the confidence in myself to sing infront of people full stop. lol

If you are a karaoke do you have to know how to sing though?? This is the point i am tryin to get at.

I think it is good for a karaoke DJ to sing as this allows the karaoke to get started and gets the crowd involved but i dont think its a fundamental rule of a DJ karaoke. Just my personal opinion. Maybe if i could sing i would think differently....hahaha

Tom
16-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Maby it could be worth taking up a few lessons???

DJmissbehaving
16-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Maby it could be worth taking up a few lessons???

Are you kidding???

THink i will give that a miss. Noone could teach me how to sing. I just have one of they voices. If i ever had to i will stick to the low easy songs. i.e Rotterdam-Beautiful south, Bonnie Tyler- I need a hero.....Ruining them very badly during it....

I am prone to doing the odd bit of drunk karaoke, that way i have an excuse for being rubbish haha....:zip:

ppentertainments
16-03-2008, 04:43 PM
I also think it is important not to be too good at singing. Sounds silly but have done karaoke's where a really good singer has been on but puts everyone else off from trying. You have to remember a karaoke is for people to enjoy themselves regardless of singing ability.

DJmissbehaving
16-03-2008, 04:46 PM
I also think it is important not to be too good at singing. Sounds silly but have done karaoke's where a really good singer has been on but puts everyone else off from trying. You have to remember a karaoke is for people to enjoy themselves regardless of singing ability.

:agree: Very good and true point.....

scottydj2
25-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Hi,

It would be interesting to compile some lists:

The easy tracks to sing (for us KJs who can't sing) :(
e.g - Wonderwall, Da Do Ron Ron etc

and

The *really* hard ones only for the pro's:
Killing me softly

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Scott

DazzyD
25-03-2008, 06:06 AM

Completely agree with that, Chris.

As a singer, I can sing (some!) songs but when I'm KJ'ing I always go for the crowd pleasers (I'm Gonna Be (500 miles), Amarillo, Hey Hey We're The Monkees, Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life, etc) as I feel this helps the party atmosphere along and doesn't put the punters off.

If I'm not working, then I go for something a little different (True, Through The Barricades (both Spandau Ballet), Something Inside So Strong (Labi Siffre), Lean On Me (Bill Withers), Dark End Of The Street (Commitments), Something (Beatles), My Girl (Temptations) etc).

So, as you can see, my choices for work and pleasure are completely different.

Scotty, that's a good idea as it will give KJs a starting point for which songs to try. Everyone's voice is different and suited to different songs tho so it's a case of finding what's best for the individual. I believe that everyone can sing if they choose the right song (look at Shane McGowen from the Pogues!).

Easy songs - See above for the ones I do for work!

Hard(er) songs - Most stuff by the beatles!

axeman
25-03-2008, 01:39 PM
songs i sing regularly (and i cant sing very well at all)

the boxtops - the letter
elvis costello - olivers army
elvis - the wonder of you
rem - losing my religion

and as a duo (with one of the barmaids ussually) b52's - love shack

DJmissbehaving
25-03-2008, 02:42 PM
songs i sing regularly (and i cant sing very well at all)

the boxtops - the letter
elvis costello - olivers army
elvis - the wonder of you
rem - losing my religion

and as a duo (with one of the barmaids ussually) b52's - love shack

I have to admit to only recognising the last two songs....i would probably know them if i heard them but cant say i know of them....

Like the idea of the duet with the barstaff. Not very often you would get barstaff up for things like that....

DazzyD
25-03-2008, 09:24 PM
I have to admit to only recognising the last two songs....i would probably know them if i heard them but cant say i know of them....

That's very honest of you, Pamela, but now I feel really old (at 32 that's not a great feeling!). The Letter by The Boxtops is a great song from the 60s. At your next gig, put it on for the soundcheck and I'm sure you'll recognise it. It's a classic that has been used on several TV adverts (but I've had a drink tonight and no names spring to mind right now!)

As for Elvis Costello's Olivers Army, this was the first record I bought (or rather my mum bought for me cos I was always singing along when it came on the radio). I still have it today! :)

Like the idea of the duet with the barstaff. Not very often you would get barstaff up for things like that....

You've obviously not KJ'd in Durham or Tyneside before. I do a few pubs and clubs up here and the bar staff love singing. I've seen times when a venue has been quiet and me and the bar staff have just had a good sing song between ourselves. Mind you, I think they just like being the centre of attention at times! ;)

DJmissbehaving
25-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Well i work in a pub and restaurant part-time and i love the atmosphere and having a laugh when i am working.....obviously doing my job aswell.....but i have to admit that the people in kilmarnock are very boring and afraid to show their true colours by letting go a bit. No one knows how to enjoy there self up here.....I dont travel into the town anymore and i actually stay across the road from it but its so bad i wouldnt waste my money even considering it.....

Dimension Videotheque
09-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I actually find Karaoke hosts who can sing very well are a put off, especially to the audience, it's the 'I ain't following that' attitude until the 15 pints of lager kicks in. I was put off doing karaoke many moons ago until I found out not being able to sing gives confindence in those wanting to take part or building up the courage. People generally think 'well if he is crap, i'm going to give it a go'

Besides, I can't see the missus putting up with me practising songs at home, it'll be worse than losing the dish washer if she walks out on me

Quadrophenia
12-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi to all.
I'v really enjoyed this topic.I could go on for hours and hours on this one,LOL all a very valid points.

Back ground. Just started as KJ.
Assistant KJ for 5 Years
Karaoke Singer 8 Years ish
So i do have varied experieces i have been to many karaoke gigs Germany,Gibraltar,fuerteventura,Englad,Wales,Londo n,

anything from 10 people to about 200. I have entered 2 Karaoke competions and been resident Judge(Yes Simon Cowell Watch Out!) At a Karaoke Competion.
So over one hundred gigs. And sung at most from 1 song to 5 at each gig.

I Hate doing the same song to often so try to vary it as much as possible,
Singers i Cover, The Who,Red hot chili Pepers,Paul Weller,Led Zep,Charlie Rich,Black Sabeth,John Denver,Beautiful South,The Jam,R.E.M,Slade,Queen,Lou Reed,Dire Staits,Phil Collins.I do anything i get stitched up for.Rock, metal, Punk, Ballads, Dance, I really don't care.The thing is I am not the best singer in the world but I have a go and have fun.Some times i will do a song well next time i do it bad (so what).BTW I am the loony that runs around the venue with wireless mic over chairs and tables air guitaring as i go :mad: and never broken a mic yet:) . Iv dressed as Ziggy stardust, Freddy Mercury, James Hetfield, and many others lol.

So I might or might not sing at a gig I might do well I Might not But I wil try to have fun and be entertaining.LOL :D :D :D

nigelwright7557
10-06-2008, 11:21 PM
After spending most of the day on my friends karaoke i have realised that i should definately stick to my day job. Recorded it on my phone and i can probably admit to ruining at least seven songs.....maybe even more than that..
Apologies if anyone was in range and heard me :Laugh:

This is one reason I wont do karaoke !
As a musician I just couldnt cope with listening to poor singing most of the night.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people on "Britains got talent" and at karaoke think they can sing when they definitely cant.
I think some people just cant really hear themselves.

This is why many pro singers use earphones while singing so they can hear themselves properly.

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-06-2008, 11:25 PM
This is why many pro singers use earphones while singing so they can hear themselves properly.

I thought that was for listening to the band or backing track and that they have monitors for that?

Tom
10-06-2008, 11:33 PM
This is one reason I think some people just cant really hear themselves.

What they really need are the Re-ACTIVE-ators (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTyYDwf2Fg&feature=related). :D