PDA

View Full Version : Mass Karaoke

Dj Diddy Davies
18-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Hi Folks,

Anyone tried mass karaoke?

What i'm talking about is trying to get a large part of the audience involved in a sort of sing a long. I've done a few events where the audience would be too shy to get up individually or as a couple, but would sing enmass to tracks.

I'm booked to do a 5 nighter over New Year with a club for about 80 people, and the theme is the roaring 40's so i'm looking into the idea of a sort of sing a long themed night. I can get some war time karaoke discs, but not sure about displaying words etc. as obviously not all going to be able to see a monitor.

Any ideas?

:beer1: Diddy.

Tom
18-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Maby use a projector on a large wall if possible???

axeman
18-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Ive done a similar thing before, i got a summer long booking to entertain foreign kids over on exchange visits, every thursday night for 8 weeks, as the weeks went by i found that kids sometimes like to sing in big groups, and it seemed there was more behind the mics than in front...lol, (there's a pic on my web-site) so i turned the moniter around to face the crowd, this year ive bought a epson projector off fle-ebay.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Yocan get a decent enough projector for around £250 now and that will be very effective. Just make sure you have the room if you are front projecting or the right screen if rear projecting.

ppentertainments
18-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Have used projector for sing-alongs many times. get a lot of bookings now at a local golf club specifically asking for this, and a few 70th birthdays. I use a front face projector but think a rear face would be more effective - but also more expensive.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Have used projector for sing-alongs many times. get a lot of bookings now at a local golf club specifically asking for this, and a few 70th birthdays. I use a front face projector but think a rear face would be more effective - but also more expensive.

It's the screens rather than the projectors. Most modern projectors will project both ways.

ppentertainments
18-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Slightly off subject but can anyone reccomend a screen that allows rear projection.

Vectis
19-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Slightly off subject but can anyone reccomend a screen that allows rear projection.

Cheap (but very cheerful) - google DRH Screens. I use two sizes of their pull-down jobs (around £100) with the £59 Maplins lighting gantry/tripods. Been going strong for about 2 years. You'll need to do a little metalwork to mount screen to gantry; I used a couple of standard clamps.

Expensive (but very good) - google DaTex from DaLite. When you've picked yourself up off the floor, go back to DRH. :p :p

KaraokeDJ
07-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi Folks,

Anyone tried mass karaoke?

What i'm talking about is trying to get a large part of the audience involved in a sort of sing a long.

Yes and it works a treat everytime! Often had 20 or 30 people singing the last few songs of the night. It helps to get the shy ones involved.

I often also so a Guys v Girls session too. Get a bunch of the ladies up and throw on a few surprise sings, followed by the guys... That works too.

MrWeetabix
22-05-2008, 01:25 PM
You could consider getting s singer in for the early part of the night, or all. May work well. Have him/her sing a few tracks, with additional mics for extra singers, or you could even leave some wireless mics out and about in the room, pick up and sing when you want. :D

JAMdisco
17-07-2008, 09:11 AM
or you could even leave some wireless mics out and about in the room, pick up and sing when you want. :D

or, pick up and walk out with it when you want :eek:

Even though it's useless without the receiver, it's amazing what some people will steal when they're drunk! Bushes, shrubs, trees, fence panels, traffic cones...etc. etc...

Sarahjovi
17-07-2008, 11:26 AM
We did karaoke at a Doctors Surgery Christmas Party, it was full of Poshly dressed Dr's and thier spouses who all insisted on not singing, it was the receptionist idea and she was keen to sing. However as the evening went on more and more of them stood infront of the TV facing the room and joined in, in the end most of them were singing every song, we didn't need the mics. At the end we were due to finish at 11pm and they were chanting one more song and they paid us to carry on for another hour! It was mass karaoke, and they thoroughly enjoyed it!

Sarah:D

KaraokeDJ
17-07-2008, 11:38 AM
It was mass karaoke, and they thoroughly enjoyed it!

Fantastic when it happens isn't it? The first hour or so is often hard work but once they get a few drinks in them the guests usually realise - hey, I wanna have a go at that singing mallarky!!!

Just like last night - Started at 8, but it might as well been disco until 10 as I only had one singer (other than me). But later on they wanted more more more...

jimboylan
17-07-2008, 12:17 PM
I thought mass karaoke was singing hymns at church on sunday :p

Jim