PDA

View Full Version : advice on system please

Key2
22-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Guys

I want to add karaoke as a 'part' of my roadshow. I'm not looking to do karaokes on their own, just as a 30 mins 'extra' for birthday parties etc. If I say no more than £100 for the equipment (not including discs), which machine should I go for, and why? As an example, I have seen the Kam Pro 5000 brand new for £85 delivered. any advice appreciated.

John

One Vision
22-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Hya John would £100 include a screen to view the lyrics and mics or just a CD+g player?

Key2
22-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Hya John would £100 include a screen to view the lyrics and mics or just a CD+g player?

Hi Karl

I've got a spare portable tv which I could use, I have one corded mic and a pair of cordless mics. I also have 2 spare dvd players at home, if they could be used (sunfly K box etc.) I run my roadshow from 2 laptops, both of which could be used as monitors. So the £100 would be for the machine only.

John

One Vision
22-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Hya John have a look at this thread this system seems to have some good reviews.
http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=10545

Key2
23-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Hya John have a look at this thread this system seems to have some good reviews.
http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=10545

Thanx mate.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I can't see the point of having a budget of £100 for equipment when you'll need to spend a lot more than that on discs!

One Vision
23-03-2008, 12:24 PM
He just means for a cd+g player Daz

ppentertainments
23-03-2008, 12:28 PM
I can't see the point of having a budget of £100 for equipment when you'll need to spend a lot more than that on discs!

Have to agree. The price of a karaoke machine is quite insignificant when you bear in mind the costs of karaoke discs needed.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-03-2008, 12:37 PM
He just means for a cd+g player Daz

I know that, but as pp says...

Have to agree. The price of a karaoke machine is quite insignificant when you bear in mind the costs of karaoke discs needed.

So what is the point in scrimping on the gear when the price of the CD+gs is going to be a lot more.

One Vision
23-03-2008, 12:55 PM
I agree mate but how many dedicated KJs use the one in the link and are perfectly happy.
Personally if it was me I would go for something like this
http://www.pandldisco.co.uk/jvc%20player

Or even a Numark KMX-02 Karaoke Mix Station
http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/media/quality,85/brand,sameday/fit,330by330/kmx02_side_CMYK_300-e90e08507f7ebead8d4b2426af6ec6ac.jpg

ppentertainments
23-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Must admit the KMX-02 is on my shopping list as is nice and tidy for 'occasional karaoke' But at £269 is way over the £100 budget mentioned.

One Vision
23-03-2008, 01:14 PM
I agree also mate as it stands your only just venturing in to the world of karaoke especially as its for occasional work and not full time.
Karaoke discs do cost allot but can also be sold for good money if it doesn't work out.
As pointed out I would go for what I said or similar quality but that would be for regular work and not as an addition so makes sense to buy better quality but for occasional use I don't think its a problem buying some cheaper gear and if you find in the future its paying off for you particular show then invest a bit more in to upgrading the player.

One Vision
23-03-2008, 01:26 PM
John have a nosy at this one see what you think, slightly over your price though but only by £25

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21kMqDYYOlL._AA280_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEO500-Professional-Karaoke-Player-Control/dp/B000LSJP84/ref=pd_sbs_ce_title_2

ppentertainments
23-03-2008, 01:28 PM
I agree also mate as it stands your only just venturing in to the world of karaoke especially as its for occasional work and not full time.
Karaoke discs do cost allot but can also be sold for good money if it doesn't work out.
As pointed out I would go for what I said or similar quality but that would be for regular work and not as an addition so makes sense to buy better quality but for occasional use I don't think its a problem buying some cheaper gear and if you find in the future its paying off for you particular show then invest a bit more in to upgrading the player.

Exactly, as I said the kmx02 would be ideal as can be used as normal dj mixer / cd players as well as karaoke and to be honest once the initial purchase of karaoke discs has been met you do not need to invest in all the latest tunes as you do in disco's. I find with karaoke, their are a lot of older songs which never date and are requested a lot. Newer music rarely gets requested - will probably be shot down in flames for saying that !!!:eek: :eek:

One Vision
23-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Or even this one VOCOPRO DKP 10G CDG player
http://www.singtotheworld.com/index.php?task=catalog&action=search&searchstocktype=hardware&searchcat=50

Key2
23-03-2008, 02:48 PM
I put £100 as a budget because every time someone asks a question on what gear to buy for their roadshow, there's always replies saying "can't comment unless I know how much your budget is". Since karaoke will be a small part of our roadshow, I don't want to spend a fortune on a machine that ends up being un-used for 48 weeks a year, or whatever. BUT...if we decided to make it a regular thing, then I will look at something like the RSQ E500 being sold by, amongst others, East Midlands karaoke, then adding tracks as required.

ppentertainments
23-03-2008, 02:52 PM
I put £100 as a budget because every time someone asks a question on what gear to buy for their roadshow, there's always replies saying "can't comment unless I know how much your budget is". Since karaoke will be a small part of our roadshow, I don't want to spend a fortune on a machine that ends up being un-used for 48 weeks a year, or whatever. BUT...if we decided to make it a regular thing, then I will look at something like the RSQ E500 being sold by, amongst others, East Midlands karaoke, then adding tracks as required.

Can't comment on the quality but looks like a reasonable offer for the RSQ E500, to start off with. To be honest I think I took a couple of years to cover my karaoke costs as it rarely gets used but now I have it not worth getting rid of.

Jays karaoke
23-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I agree for £100 your not going to get a great player anyhow, the amount you spend on disks will run into many hundreds, in my case many thousands of pounds so why set a tight budget for a player. The karaoke player of the moment seems to be the Bluelaser, i think they are about £140 ish. Another thing, although you are thinking of adding karaoke for an extra people will still expect a decent selection of songs so a couple of dozen karaoke discs will not be enough, i would think hard before you venture into something you are not clued up on as supplying only an average karaoke to someone exoecting more could damage your reputation, even if your a good dj cos all they will remember is the naff karaoke with no song choice. thats only my opinion though so you go for it.

jay

Key2
23-03-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm doing a girls 13th birthday party and although she wants our usual disco roadshow, she has asked for 30 mins of karaoke in the middle. On my booking form I have asked her to choose 10 songs. When I see what she has chosen I will either buy the appropriate compilations or have a disc done 'burn to order'. Thought it would be interesting to get a dedicated machine, rather than just using the facility on my Ots AV program on my two laptops. Seems silly to me to think about spending a lot of money buying loads of discs when I know what my specific play-list will be. Our roadshow is pretty busy at week-ends, and I have a residency on tuesday nights. If I like doing the karaoke then I will invest money into it. I'm not being tight but, on the other hand, I haven't been successfully self-employed for fourteen years by wasting money. Thanks to all for your comments. They were all appreciated.

John

DazzyD
24-03-2008, 02:15 AM
I can see where you're coming from, john. Just dipping your toe in the water so to speak.

If your mixer allows for mic inputs with echo/reverb effects you could get away with using a DVD player such as the roadstar DVD2221K.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roadstar-DVD2221K-Player-Karaoke-Function/dp/B000BNTI9U

If you do choose this player, I urge you to throw away the included mics as they are awful. I wouldn't even let my granny use them at the family xmas karaoke. Don't try and plug any other mics in cos the unit just doesn't like it. Simply use it to play the CD+Gs and let your mixer do the mic work.

Or you could just buy a CD+G decoder to connect to your CD players. This is what we do with a VocoPro decoder.