PDA

View Full Version : Starting Karaoke. Monitor

Richard Veal
03-04-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm getting ready to embrace karaoke.
I think I have all i need, Just need a stand for my portable TV (nicked from the bedroom) (anyone selling an old one?)

Anyway the question is:

Do you need a monitor speaker. If you do - what do you put through it?
By that i mean do you put the music through, or the preformers vocal, or both.

If I do need one what would you recommend self powered wedge etc.

Many thanks:beer1:

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Iv'e never bothered with monitors unless it was a big function or a very well paying gig where they specified they wanted one or two.

I used to use a couple of wedge shape Celestion speakers and would put through the vocal and music.

Royalblue
04-04-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm getting ready to embrace karaoke.
I think I have all i need, Just need a stand for my portable TV (nicked from the bedroom) (anyone selling an old one?)

Anyway the question is:

Do you need a monitor speaker. If you do - what do you put through it?
By that i mean do you put the music through, or the preformers vocal, or both.

If I do need one what would you recommend self powered wedge etc.

Many thanks:beer1:

Just use your normal PA. For me its just an add on and the people who do it are usually trolleyed anyway

axeman
04-04-2008, 12:31 AM
no monitor necc. my speakers are on tri-pods and ussualy i dont have to, but now and then i just turn the speakers direction towards the singer a little avoiding feedback but just so as they can hear how bad they are...lol

UltraBeat Entertainment
04-04-2008, 09:09 AM
What type of stand are you looking for? For a TFT monitor or CFT TV?

DazzyD
04-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Before I started doing the karaokes I was involved with live bands so I was used to using wedge monitors. When I started the karaoke up, I tried using the monitors but quickly realised that karaoke singers aren't used to using them so I stopped. Hearing your voice coming at you face on is a rather unnerving experience the first time!

As for a monitor stand, check out this one.

It can be found at :

http://www.images2.co.uk/cgi-bin/Images.cgi?rm=search&query=TD336001&SEARCH.x=18&SEARCH.y=9&SEARCH=SEARCH

Its ideal for your singers and costs less than £40.

KaraokeDJ
07-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Iv'e never bothered with monitors unless it was a big function or a very well paying gig where they specified they wanted one or two.

Same here. I do have a seperate speaker set that I've used about 2 or 3 times but for 99% of gigs I don't use them. Depends on the size of the venue and how far apart my main speakers are.

KaraokeDJ
07-05-2008, 09:10 AM
but now and then i just turn the speakers direction towards the singer a little avoiding feedback but just so as they can hear how bad they are...lol

That's interesting. I have occasionally turned the speakers away from the singer to 'avoid' feedback... Have I got it wrong?

DazzyD
08-05-2008, 07:06 AM
You shouldn't get feedback if the singer is directly facing the speaker. It seems to happen mostly when the speaker is right over the singers shoulder.