PDA

View Full Version : Denon (main) Cortex (backup)

Shaun
23-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Denon (main) Cortex (backup)

Does anyone else use the above configuration.

I bought the cortex the other day to use as backup for my Denon. I presumed that I'd be able to store 2 database files on the HDD (denon database and cortex database), it appears it cant be done though :(. Once I added the cortex database the HDD is no longer recognised when switched back to the Denon.

Looks like I'm going to have to purchase yet another external HDD specifically for the cortex. :bang:

I knew I should've bought another Denon.

Vectis
23-04-2008, 03:26 PM
I would've expected a second HDD to have been part of the backup strategy :confused:

Eliminate another point of failure and all that...

Excalibur
23-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Bear in mind that I'm a numpty when computers are involved, but surely the hard drive is more likely to throw a wobbly than the controller?:confused: Surely a second separate HD is the preferred option, rather than worst case scenario?

Edit: What do you know, seems I was right! :eek: Vectis typed faster than me, and I think he agrees with me. :confused:

Shaun
23-04-2008, 03:36 PM
You're both right. I do have a back up HDD, but I (wrongly) presumed I could use any of the hard drives with any of the HDD controllers, rather than having to have an independent HDD for each unit. Does that make sense? :O

In my thinking, if anything happened to the denon it would just be a case of taking the HDD usb from the denon and sticking it in the cortex. Maybe I just need to go back to bed....it's been a looong day. :D

Vectis
23-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Ah! Gotcha. Interchangeability.

Because I use a laptop for background music, it acts as my backup for the main set. So my HDDs are interchangeable (although I usually carry FIVE)

1. Big fat 500GB disk with EVERYTHING on it, updated quarterly ... in the van
2. Fairly fat 300GB disk with my archive on it ... bolted into the flightcase, connected to the d2 and updated annually
3. 160GB self-powered drive with my "Master Playlist" on it - plugs into d2.
4. Copy of #3 plugs into Laptop.
5. 80GB self-powered drive with all the Now albums and a handful of pre-80's classics as an absolute backstop in case all else fails!
6. 2GB memory stick with any newly downloaded stuff I want to trial before committing to the archive.

#3, #4 and #5 are never carried in the same bag, so if I were to "lose" one, I'd be OK.

The closest I've come to disaster was one day last summer when I updated #3 and #4 with some new tunes and then went out to a wedding. I forgot to do the 'Safe Eject' on one of the drives and connected to the d2 all it would see was directories, no files :eek:

So that night I worked from #3 connected to the laptop with the occasional tune from #2 played on the d2. Mighty stressful I can tell you.

Excalibur
23-04-2008, 03:49 PM
You're both right. I do have a back up HDD, but I (wrongly) presumed I could use any of the hard drives with any of the HDD controllers, rather than having to have an independent HDD for each unit. Does that make sense? :O

In my thinking, if anything happened to the denon it would just be a case of taking the HDD usb from the denon and sticking it in the cortex. Maybe I just need to go back to bed....it's been a looong day. :D

I see what you mean, but being a DJ of very little brain, and also one who likes to have discrete playout systems, if the Denon went down, wouldn't you simply use the Cortex part, especially if the reason for the Denon malfunction was a corrupted HD? :confused: All the more reason for separating them totally I'd say. ( Then again, what do I know? :confused: :) )

Edit: Vectis, I'm sure your system works admirably. Sadly I don't have a clue what you're on about! Is there a Dummies Guide available? :confused: :o :o :o :o

Vectis
23-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Edit: Vectis, I'm sure your system works admirably. Sadly I don't have a clue what you're on about! Is there a Dummies Guide available? :confused: :o :o :o :o

OK I have a number of disks each with different amounts of music on them and they connect to any of my playout devices.

And that's before we get into video... :eek:

I can't wait for an affordable, portable, USB-powered 2TB disk to come along then all my problems will be solved.

Shaun
23-04-2008, 04:00 PM
I see what you mean, but being a DJ of very little brain, and also one who likes to have discrete playout systems, if the Denon went down, wouldn't you simply use the Cortex part, especially if the reason for the Denon malfunction was a corrupted HD? :confused: All the more reason for separating them totally I'd say. ( Then again, what do I know? :confused: :) )

Being able to interchange the HDD's would've be preferable, and would mean only taking 2 hard drives to each gig (main and backup), as they would both work with any HDD controller. It looks like I'll need a minimum of 4 HDD's if I want full back up for each of my controllers.

Corabar Steve
23-04-2008, 04:01 PM

You should've also used the search facility :sj:

I asked if you could use the same HD on D2 or Cortex as my Denon when I was looking for back up. Glad I asked & glad I've got 2 Denons.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Stop being so bloody tight - how much is a 500Gb HDD - £60? :sj:

Shaun
23-04-2008, 04:03 PM
You should've also used the search facility :sj:

I asked if you could use the same HD on D2 or Cortex as my Denon when I was looking for back up. Glad I asked & glad I've got 2 Denons.

:o :o :o Oh well. Cortex may appear on DJ Bids soon. :D

Shaun
23-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Stop being so bloody tight

I can't. It's a Scottish thing!

Vectis
23-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Stop being so bloody tight - how much is a 500Gb HDD - £60? :sj:

Yeah but you don't want to be dragging those around. I presume we're talking the WD Essentials etc. at that price point? Hmmm. They're OK for static use in the home but I wouldn't put them on the road.

Penfold42
23-04-2008, 04:17 PM

I bought the cortex the other day to use as backup for my Denon. I presumed that I'd be able to store 2 database files on the HDD (denon database and cortex database), it appears it cant be done though :(. Once I added the cortex database the HDD is no longer recognised when switched back to the Denon.

Looks like I'm going to have to purchase yet another external HDD specifically for the cortex. :bang:

Yes and yes.......
But i had already bought another 2 HDD's so buying the Cortex went hand in hand.

I do remember seeing Batman make a temp file from one of his HDD on the Cortex when i was over there the other week (one that he uses on one of his laptops) .....not sure if you can make a temp file and them plug back into the Denon after....i've not tryed it....but it sounds like you have......:(

The added bonus - i have is a laptop with Denon manager so if the HDD from the Denon packs up i still have another HDD to load while my 3rd HDD plays on the laptop........:daft: :daft: .....it get's like that. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah but you don't want to be dragging those around. I presume we're talking the WD Essentials etc. at that price point? Hmmm. They're OK for static use in the home but I wouldn't put them on the road.

There are plenty of drives around that price and I or any of my guys who use them have never had any problems.

Vectis
23-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Fair do's.

Must be the 25 years in IT that stops me depending on non-ruggedised kit for mobile use :p

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Have you used HDDs on the road for 25 years then?

Vectis
23-04-2008, 04:35 PM
No - I've used HDDs for 25 years starting with the old Winchesters but on the road probably only for about 12/13 years. Supercalc spreadsheet with list of tracks on it :p

Actually, before that about 17/18 years ago I used a ZX Spectrum with a Microdrive to play sound reactive visuals through a big old TV set. Does that count?

Penfold42
23-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Surely it how you treat your gear at the end of the night......throw it around and your asking for trouble.......pack it away in the right storage and it should see you out......:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Take a poll. See how many people use standard drives on the road and have had problems and how many people use ruggedised (is that a real word!?) drives.

Vectis
23-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Per the OED, "Ruggedised: designed or improved to be hard-wearing".

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/ruggedized?view=uk

Excalibur
23-04-2008, 05:06 PM
A really interesting thread on the pros and cons of hard drives and controllers, and we end up back in semantics!:bang: :bang: :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-04-2008, 05:07 PM
You live and learn!

rob1963
23-04-2008, 05:16 PM

Or a Numark

:sofa:

Vectis
23-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Or a Numark

:sofa:

Yay! Up the d2 club! :beerchug:

CRAZY K
23-04-2008, 05:20 PM

Absolutely no need -- you would normally have 2 Hard drives?

Dedicate one to the Denon and one to the Cortex.

OK you have to change the whole system over but its very unlikely to happen
and just have something handy to play in the meantime.

Even with a Laptop as back up I had the same problem.

CRAZY K

Shakermaker Promotions
23-04-2008, 05:30 PM
I currently use a WD 160gig passport drive. You know what, I never even considered a 2nd HD as backup as I have the CD players there and I am currently sorting through my CD's and putting the most popular ones into just the one case (bit hard as I currently have 6 x 200 folders).. This thread has prompted me to go and get another one tomorrow as I want to cover every scenario and have back up. As someone else said, it's not the unit that will be faulty, it's more than likely going to be the HD itself.

One question... When I get the other HD tomorrow, is it just a simple case of opening them both up on the laptop, selecting all folders and copying and pasting onto the new HD? Will this be ok?

Excalibur
23-04-2008, 05:31 PM
You live and learn!

Every day! A day without learning is a day wasted. :D

Tom
23-04-2008, 06:50 PM
This has been an intresting thread for me to read as I'm still deciding either to buy a Cortex or American DJ SDJ1.

From what I can see so far there is to many risks with using a HD as people are buying so many backups. For me I use a Denon and have one HD for my music. If the external HD fails then I will use the hard drive in the Denon as backup. But if this goes then I will use another backup what ever it may be.

Corabar Steve
23-04-2008, 07:09 PM
I must admit I'm a bit perplexed as to why anyone would want 2 different players (apart from the cost of buying 2 HD2500s) surely it makes sense to have identical back up to what you use as your main play out (especially if you do like I do & use both all the time anyway)

Shaun
23-04-2008, 07:41 PM
I must admit I'm a bit perplexed as to why anyone would want 2 different players (apart from the cost of buying 2 HD2500s)

Cost was the main factor. At 199 quid the cortex seemed the perfect solution for a cost effective backup system. That said though, I'm now considering a second Denon.

I'll test the cortex out at the weekend before I make up my mind.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Cost was the main factor. At 199 quid the cortex seemed the perfect solution for a cost effective backup system. That said though, I'm now considering a second Denon.

Don't forget to speak to me before you make a decision Shaun. ;)

CRAZY K
23-04-2008, 08:40 PM
I must admit I'm a bit perplexed as to why anyone would want 2 different players (apart from the cost of buying 2 HD2500s) surely it makes sense to have identical back up to what you use as your main play out (especially if you do like I do & use both all the time anyway)

True, I have 2 Cortex HDC 1000s:D

For anyone who hasnt bought yet --£199 each is excellent value---if they suit your style.

CRAZY K

CRAZY K
23-04-2008, 08:43 PM
This has been an intresting thread for me to read as I'm still deciding either to buy a Cortex or American DJ SDJ1.

From what I can see so far there is to many risks with using a HD as people are buying so many backups. For me I use a Denon and have one HD for my music. If the external HD fails then I will use the hard drive in the Denon as backup. But if this goes then I will use another backup what ever it may be.

Dont you carry mike, amp, mixer and CD back up anyway---so Digital back up is just standard approach.

CRAZY K

Tom
23-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Dont you carry mike, amp, mixer and CD back up anyway---so Digital back up is just standard approach.

CRAZY K

Nope. I fully trust my equipment. I have cd draws but they are connected to the denon hd so if that goes then I loose the cd draws.

Shaun
23-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Nope. I fully trust my equipment.

Even the most stable of equipment can fail. It's mechanical after all. I carry backup for EVERYTHING except lighting. I even carry backups for my backups when it comes to amplifiers mixers etc.

Tom
23-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Even the most stable of equipment can fail. It's mechanical after all. I carry backup for EVERYTHING except lighting. I even carry backups for my backups when it comes to amplifiers mixers etc.

I understand that but I simply don't have the room in my car to take extra equipment. When I upgrade my transport then I will look in to this.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I understand that but I simply don't have the room in my car to take extra equipment. When I upgrade my transport then I will look in to this.

You could fit a small 2 channel mixer in any vehicle Tom.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-04-2008, 10:15 PM
I carry backup for EVERYTHING except lighting. .

Pah, amateur. :D

Tom
23-04-2008, 10:17 PM
You could fit a small 2 channel mixer in any vehicle Tom.

I guess so. No excuse really.:(

Shaun
23-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Pah, amateur. :D

I carry spare bulbs and a soldering iron though. :P :D

Penfold42
23-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Nope. I fully trust my equipment. I have cd draws but they are connected to the denon hd so if that goes then I loose the cd draws.

:eek: :eek: :eek: ...would seriously re-think this.....after all what's a reputation.....:)

Shaun
23-04-2008, 10:21 PM
I guess so. No excuse really.:(

At least you're looking into other possibilities now. That's what I love about these type of forums, taking on new ideas to improve things. The downside of these forums is the decrease in bank balance with buying new kit. :d

CRAZY K
23-04-2008, 11:13 PM
I carry spare bulbs and a soldering iron though. :P :D

Now you know Daz calls them lamps

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CRAZY K

CRAZY K
23-04-2008, 11:17 PM

INVEST IN A REMOVABLE ROOF BOX

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

Best investment I have made for years:)

CRAZY K

yourdj
24-04-2008, 03:50 PM
I still have not used mine as i have not had the time or patience to work out the mac issue :bang: (If anyone has any news of new software for macs then please let me know :p

(the software does not work on macs and a mac booted ipod does not work either)

One question? Do you create playlists or just use search from your memory. How useful is the hard dirve. Basically can i dump all my main tracks (prob about 2,000) on to it and spend a day organising them to playlists.

Sorry for my naivety have not used it since i bought it (too busy), but going to get to grips with that and my lighting controller this weekend :D .

Would the Denon stall at the NADJ show be helpfull :confused:

Tom
24-04-2008, 04:29 PM
If possible why not go round a friends house who has windows and ask if you can borrow his computer for a few hours (depending on how much music you have) to upload all the music to the HD2500.

If not then why not just use an external hard drive with mp3's instead of using the built in hard drive. Just make sure everything is id3 tagged then you can start using it. :)

yourdj
24-04-2008, 04:59 PM
If possible why not go round a friends house who has windows and ask if you can borrow his computer for a few hours (depending on how much music you have) to upload all the music to the HD2500.

If not then why not just use an external hard drive with mp3's instead of using the built in hard drive. Just make sure everything is id3 tagged then you can start using it. :)

Yes i am going to try that as my girlfriend has a laptop, but what happens when i get new music?

My external hard drive works on it, but how can you manage playlists and easily navigate the songs like on an ipod. Im not one of these people who has their whole collection in their head due to the variety of gigs i do different things are required all the time and i'm a bit thick at remembering stuff like that, i need it there in front of me.

"i really need to get the thing out and play around don't I"?

Just hoping that a miracle has happened and denon have come up with something as it was hinted on there forum some time back. Its all down to Apple licensing costs i think.

I KNOW THERE IS A WAY ROUND IT :mad:

Thanks for the help :)