PDA

View Full Version : NADJ Show review

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Come on then, what did you all think?

Did you go? Why didn't you say hello?

I had a great day. I enjoyed doing the radio interview with James and Dan, Johnny and Adam, even if I couldn't quite hear what was happening.

I thought the LWP/MCPS forum Q&A was excellent and bought out some good points. I was the 'roving reporter' with the mic..;)

It is great to work with the MCPS and I have talked to them about doing a Q&A session on here, which they have agreed to, so I will start a separate thread later for that.

Cutmaster Swift was interesting, though it was slightly long for my liking. I used to be into scratching, cutting and mixing in a big way, so it was interesting to see how far it has come on.

I had a 15 minute play with the new Pioneer MEP7000 which I don't think is as good and certainly not as intuative as the Denon DH2500. I also didn't like the platters and the fact they kept losing the point in the Mp3 when I was scratching. There was someone filming me while I was doing that, so I hope it doesn't suddenly arriveon some forum somewhere.... Jamie was watching me press wrong buttons and laughing his head off...

The mirrorballs and Robe lighting downstairs were outstanding. When you see high end lighting like this, you realise how big a difference there really is between this and cheapy lighting that most of us use.

Clive@CRS was doing some seriously cheap gear in auctions right at the end and I was seriously tempted to buy an active EV system that he had on offer for a very good price!

A couple of photos.

Cutmaster Swift in action

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa260/daz2410/27042008278-1.jpg

Dave, Tony, small Tony, Jamie, Paul (Nice eyes!:eek: ) and me.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa260/daz2410/27042008279.jpg

The radio team of James, Danno, Adam Forgie and Johnnie.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa260/daz2410/27042008281.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa260/daz2410/27042008283.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa260/daz2410/27042008284.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa260/daz2410/27042008285.jpg

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 03:47 PM
For some strange reason, it won't let me make some of the piccys smaller. I'll try again later.

Penfold42
28-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Good day out, plenty going on......nice to met a few faces....my lad loved it!

LWP/MCPS forum Q&A - Intresting.....although i think there is a lot more ground still to cover.....judging by the questions...:)

Cutmaster Swift was interesting - up to a point......then it went flat for me anyway.

Clive@CRS - nice crisps.....;) :D ....although the points are on a multi-pack....:D - he was doing some serious business......but i had to behave...:(

Other bits - Showing Batman the "Dump" button on the Denon.....:D :D :D :D
It would have been nicer to see more stall's / seller's there....IMO
...Oh and i joined the NADJ......:cool: ...and voted.....:D :D :D :D

Corabar Steve
28-04-2008, 04:29 PM
I spent too much.

& apparently look like my avatar

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 04:31 PM
I spent too much.

You did? :p

Lee
28-04-2008, 04:34 PM
i enjoyed it its always good to see and play with new products and meet new people

Corabar Steve
28-04-2008, 04:48 PM

I did indeed.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 04:52 PM
I did indeed.

Not Angela then with Corabar money? :confused:

Corabar Steve
28-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Says Mr S J Jones on the card.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 05:11 PM
So Corabar bought it then?

It's a simple question Steve...

Tom
28-04-2008, 05:42 PM
I thought it was a good day out. Met some new faces as well as some other from another meet. :)

I was really intrested in Cutmaster Swift. Was cool to see people like him do what they do best. :)

That's about it really. :)

Corabar Steve
28-04-2008, 05:49 PM
So Corabar bought it then?

It's a simple question Steve...
Well, yes. It's still money I spent, which is why I said I spent too much.

Angela didn't hand over a penny all day.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Well, yes. It's still money I spent, which is why I said I spent too much.

Angela didn't hand over a penny all day.

You know exactly what I was asking, whether you or the company paid for the items. Why not just give a straight answer for a change?

Spirits High
28-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Was good to meet folks, and no I don't normally have eyes like the pic :eek:

thought there would be a few more traders but then again the ones that were there got enough of my money:D

Highlight for me was on the way back in Tones car and to do with the Baywatch theme being done by "Suncream" :eek: :eek: and it wasn't me or Dave that mentioned.....or Milky Way :p nearly had to call for a medic as my sides nearly split from laughter:lol:

Corabar Steve
28-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Was there ever any doubt that the company bought the items concerned?

I make all company purchases apart from those made by cheque.

You're reading far too much into this, all I said I spent too much. I never said who's money it was.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Was there ever any doubt that the company bought the items concerned?

You're reading far too much into this, all I said I spent too much. I never said who's money it was.

Which is why a simple answer would have sufficed.

I quite often ask a simple question to which I get ridiculous answers avoiding the question completely.

Corabar Steve
28-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Which is why a simple answer would have sufficed.

I quite often ask a simple question to which I get ridiculous answers avoiding the question completely.

I spent too much.

& apparently look like my avatar

I did indeed.

I thought I had

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 06:10 PM
I was asking if you personally had bought the gear or Corabar and you know exactly what I was asking Steve, so let's leave it there shall we and get back on topic.

NADJ show - what did you think?

Dragonfly
28-04-2008, 06:14 PM
great to see everyone again .... loads of laughs ....... no denon stickers now that did upset me!!!

nice to see some of the products first hand that get talked about on here. and the positive was .... i didn't really see anything that made me think "ooohh i must have one of those"

Adam_F
28-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Have to agree with others, had a good day. Didn't see much of the show at all due to running around trying to get some footage with Johnny, and then to get some close ups on the seminars (Cutmaster Swift & the hearing one).

Also good to get out on the evening with a few of you and have a few beers (and at a £1 a bottle were a bargain!) Sure the video's and pics of the night will show up somewhere LoL

CRAZY K
28-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Couldnt make it as my wife is recovering from a cataract operation.

Not a Caractacus operation Rolf ;)

BUT did look at some on the web--

Ill join the debate on Mechanical Transfer issues as im not personally comfortable with people who keep on insisting that by using music which you have paid for already means we have to "pay twice" if its transferred and used for "commercial use"

Did anyone put forward what I thought was the main thinking--a flat charge for using music of any type--legally owned and subsequently copied, transferred etc.

Maybe I missed that?

I liked Brian Pengellys Yellow Pages sketch--and sales points.

Mind you --there has to be an enquirer with half a brain listening--not always the case.

Well done the tech team for covering the event--many congratulations.

Yes Daz I noticed you there :rolleyes: well done keeping the show on the road :D

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Also good to get out on the evening with a few of you and have a few beers (and at a £1 a bottle were a bargain!)

Until you tasted it...:whistle:

I liked Brian Pengellys Yellow Pages sketch--and sales points.

Derek Pengelley. :)

Adam_F
28-04-2008, 06:58 PM

Very true LoL

That made us start on the spirits :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Very true LoL

That made us start on the spirits then :D

I assume Mr Essex behaved? :p

djsteve10
28-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Didn't go myself as home DIY called but i watched and listened to it all day through the website and i was overally impressed with everything. Very good day. I'm definatley going to get myself down there next year!

Danno13
28-04-2008, 07:06 PM
I assume Mr Essex behaved?

I did for the bits I can remember :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Didn't go myself as home DIY called but i watched and listened to it all day through the website and i was overally impressed with everything. Very good day. I'm definatley going to get myself down there next year!

Did you hear the forum benefits bit?

Dragonfly
28-04-2008, 07:09 PM
I assume Mr Essex behaved? :p

I never saw David there?? .... rock on!! :D :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 07:11 PM
You or Tony were slightly longer than I expected with that answer :sj:

Shaun
28-04-2008, 07:16 PM
I missed the show. I missed the stream. :(

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 07:20 PM
I missed the show. I missed the stream. :(

Shame.

There were scantily clad women and live performances from legendary DJs. :D

Jiggles
28-04-2008, 07:24 PM
I cant beleave it! The reverse rewind compo that was going on i couldnt get the song but i have just relised what it was!!!!! ARGH!!!!

Penfold42
28-04-2008, 07:28 PM
You or Tony were slightly longer than I expected with that answer :sj:

Moi.......:eek: ...Not me Boss!.....i'm a pillar in the community now....:rolleyes: :D

"Sunblock"....you know what i mean.........and don't forget Tasha!!:D :D

There were scantily clad women and live performances from legendary DJs. :D
:confused: ....but i didn't play....:D

On the whole a very good day..........well done everyone involved.....:approve:

Jiggles
28-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Love the inter fourm rivalry :D Darren...

Shaun
28-04-2008, 07:35 PM
There were scantily clad women :D

PICTURES ???

You know my email . :beer1:

Penfold42
28-04-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm ready to mod the next post in case anyone has ideas.....:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Love the inter fourm rivalry :D Darren...

I'm glad someone heard that - Ian and I had a great laugh doing that. In fact we did it twice as something wasn't working the first time. Shame really as it was funnier the first time too. :D

Jiggles
28-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Ever thought about working on chat shows as a mic operator as well :p

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Ever thought about working on chat shows as a mic operator as well :p

What do mean as a mic operator? Switching it on and off and running round like I was for the LWP forum?

Jiggles
28-04-2008, 07:44 PM
For Shaun :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/ShaunF/February.jpg

What do mean as a mic operator? Switching it on and off and running round like I was for the LWP forum?

Yep master if the DJ flops then you can become one of them :D

Penfold42
28-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Did anyone see the LED "Happy Birthday"......and what did you think......

Me....not impressed.....

CRAZY K
28-04-2008, 08:16 PM
:D

Derek Pengelley. :)

He probably cant spell either of my names either:D :D :D

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
28-04-2008, 08:16 PM
yeah saw that ..... not really much different to a moving message board imo??? poor mans animated lazer maybe?

djsteve10
28-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Did you hear the forum benefits bit?

I missed that bit, but i was watching and listening from the MWPS bit from there on... Loved Derek's seminar, he does something similar for our local NADJ meetings down here,
I wouldn't mind going to Vegas to see what all the fuss is about over there but can find better things to spend over £1000 on!

Tom
28-04-2008, 08:51 PM

Me....not impressed.....

I think it's ok for what it is but not for me thanks.

Penfold42
28-04-2008, 09:04 PM
I also got the impression that the throw out would be small as well....IMO.

Dragonfly
28-04-2008, 09:08 PM
mmmm not sure on that the throw on the impossibled is ok ??? but then that does have that huge lens on it i suppose ....

im guessing its designed to say put on top of a rig and project onto a back wall type effect maybe 6-8ft away ??? certainly wasnt that impressive.

Dragonfly
28-04-2008, 09:20 PM
hold up ......... found this .......... listen and watch from 1 minute 9 seconds ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLjKYBfMdHM

it shows the effect tony is talking about but not at sundays show.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 09:24 PM
I know the light was at the show, but let's not forget the title of the thread guys....

Dragonfly
28-04-2008, 09:33 PM
we are talking about things at the show ???? just thought the clip might help remind people what it was if they saw it and can't remember...

dont really see the difference between dicussing one of the light exhibits at the show and the content of say a seminar ??

but my apologies i shall try to stay more generalised in my dicussion of what i saw .....

from an access point of view .... thought the show was very well laid out and the floor plan organised very well indeed.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 09:36 PM
dont really see the difference between dicussing one of the light exhibits at the show and the content of say a seminar ??

Because I guarantee in a couple of posts time people will be talking about different lighting effects Dave and that's not what this thread is about.

Tom
28-04-2008, 10:06 PM
In the loud room it was nice to see a few different brands that I have not heard before.

My brother (roadie) told me on the way back that everything went quite well and found it easy to talk to everyone there, which is good as he has a stamma aswell. :(

Penfold42
28-04-2008, 10:17 PM
I know the light was at the show, but let's not forget the title of the thread guys....

My fault :sorry: ...and i thought i was doing so well......:o

Checking in could have run smother......problems with a machine i believe.
Raffle prize's were really good.

and yes Robe lighting was good.....even though i did offer him a (what i thought) a good price.......he wasn't having any of it.....! :D

pdarnett
28-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Which was the loud room???:) :) :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah, it wasn't the same without some jobsworth walking round with a sound metre :sj:

jamesh
29-04-2008, 12:08 AM
i had one :D:D:D

Well was a great day and a great night. Didn't really get to see any of the upstairs bit but thought the seminars were great and it was good to catch up with everyone too.

Also a big thanks goes out to Dan, Johnny and Adam F for all the hard work they put into the NADJ Live show - was great to work (and drink) with the 3 of you again...

Not seem many comments so far on the big announcement regarding the launch of the NADJ Youth Development Program and the Scholarship... would have thought that would have created some interest but who knows... I also know around that time the stream crashed so perhaps no everyone knows about it yet... if so dont worry we will be posting loads of info on it very soon...

Oh and if anyone missed any of the seminars...i've set up the seminars to stream one after the other.... So if you didnt get chance to watch them live at the show.. you can catch up now.... It's not edited or anything right now and the camera work isn't the best but at least for those that missed it they can view/listen.

So if you want to watch the seminars and interviews that we did in the seminar room visit http://www.nadj.org.uk/show and click on recordings...

It's starts with the first seminar and goes through so if you don't want to watch any seminar just drag/move the little circle timeline marker ALL THE WAY to the right as when it gets to the end of the first seminar video it will auto load the next seminar.

We are working on cutting up the seminars and videos and having separate links and will polish up the recordings over this week or 2 but just wanted to get something up for you in the mean time!

CRS1.com
29-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Come on then, what did you all think?
-
Clive@CRS was doing some seriously cheap gear in auctions right at the end and I was seriously tempted to buy an active EV system that he had on offer for a very good price!

I absolutely loved every second of it - apart from the :Censored: who can always get everything cheaper through a mate!!! :zip:

It was a fantastic show and well run too. Well done NADJ for all the hard work and it certainly paid off!

Well done also to you all who came through the door to support the show. You came from far and wide, we heard nearly every accent in the british isles and beyond!

-

Seriously Darren, I wanted you to buy it, but only if you were sure....
I do not condone auction fever buying, especially when it is a "serious" amount of money.

I was actually holding back and making sure you were comfortable.

Oh well, it will be here when you want it... maybe even at a good price, but not quite that good! :D

Clive@CRS - nice crisps.....;) :D ....although the points are on a multi-pack....:D - he was doing some serious business......but i had to behave...:(

Sorry I'm confused and I don't understand...... The Crisps and Drinks were all free, so what how I bought them??:confused:

And yes we did have a great day - Thanks again to everyone who came and supported us!

Especially......
I spent too much.

:D Thank You Steve, I do appreciate your business you know!

Says Mr S J Jones on the card.
Oh yes, I can vouch for that as I saw it so often!

Oh :Censored: , I didn't know there were cheques available as well....

Not as good a salesman as I could have been :doh:

Me....not impressed.....

I actually watched ADJ set it up.
They were trying to throw the beams up on the ceiling. At first it looked great but due to all the spurious light from my stand (and all the others in the room when they got going) meant it looked a little lost.

It actually looked better over my stand (on the sloping part of the ceiling), but they didn't really want to put "CRS1 is great" on it (shame), so they decided to point it on the wall behind them. Admittedly it looked a little small but very clean!

It is only £149 (retail inc. VAT) but I was so impressed I ordered a few.

Paul James Promotions
29-04-2008, 12:39 AM
What was the PA they were using downstairs? Wasn't too impressed with it, just wondered what it was...

kilmeedyman
29-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Oh dear - which PA system did you like best upstairs?

pdarnett
29-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Yeah, it wasn't the same without some jobsworth walking round with a sound metre :sj:

Jobsworth indeed !!

(and its meter not metre unless we're measuring sound in length now !)

Paul James Promotions
29-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Oh dear - which PA system did you like best upstairs?

Sorry if that came across a bit harsh, just an opinion of course.

Heard the Bose used for announcments, sounded good. Other that that, the system to the left of the Prolight stand was distorting when they did a demo.

Didn't get to hear the Shermann kit unfortunately.

Paul James Promotions
29-04-2008, 09:40 AM

Me....not impressed.....

Quite liked that myself, although would have been a lot better if they had set it to project onto the ceiling to show its ability over distance.

Penfold42
29-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Sorry I'm confused and I don't understand...... The Crisps and Drinks were all free, so what how I bought them??:confused:
Going...
:offtopic:
Sorry it was a poor attempt at a joke......:o walkers are doing a promotion ......but the tokens are on the mulit-pack not the single pack.......and my lad say's thank you for the drink and the crisps....:)

Back on topic...

Good to have met you BTW.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Didn't get to hear the Shermann kit unfortunately.

You did....that's what they were using for the PA downstairs...:eek:

What was the PA they were using downstairs? Wasn't too impressed with it, just wondered what it was...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Paul James Promotions
29-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Right, thought there was a Shermann stand upstairs?...

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Right, thought there was a Shermann stand upstairs?...

I'm not sure Jamie.

I thought it was funny though what you posted...:D

Paul James Promotions
29-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Yes, when I said I hadn't heard Shermann, I meant upstairs (pretty sure they had a stand). Didn't know what the PA was downstairs, hence why I asked.

CRAZY K
29-04-2008, 11:24 AM
You did....that's what they were using for the PA downstairs...:eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Perhaps they are better at making Tanks---

Alright ill get my coat:D :D :D

CRAZY K

Shaun
29-04-2008, 11:41 AM
So if you want to watch the seminars and interviews that we did in the seminar room visit http://www.nadj.org.uk/show and click on recordings...

Great stuff, I missed it first time round. Thanks to all that were involved in the streaming and recording. :approve:

Adam_F
29-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Great stuff, I missed it first time round. Thanks to all that were involved in the streaming and recording. :approve:

Its good to see them on there. I watched them again last night, and didn't realise how much I hadn't heard (or took in), and was I filming them LoL

Glad people are finding them useful.

Danno13
29-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Photos now on the website - http://www.nadj.org.uk/show/index.asp?page=gallery

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Photos now on the website - http://www.nadj.org.uk/show/index.asp?page=gallery

Not moaning but....if you click on a photo to enlarge it, it takes ages to reload all the rest of the photos again. Is there a way round this Dan?

Danno13
29-04-2008, 05:35 PM
I've been trying to sort that, I wrote the script for my own website and it doesn't do it on there, but this is the second site I've used it again on and it suffers with this issue and I can't work out why!

kilmeedyman
29-04-2008, 07:07 PM
How about opening the large pic in a new window?

Danno13
29-04-2008, 07:09 PM
I've just made the whole gallery open in a new window, which I think solves it, for some reason it wouldn't cache the frame, despite trying various ways of forcing it.

EDIT: And further to that, I've changed it to your idea Phil, thanks for the suggestion.

Mission
29-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Well done to James, Dan, Adam & the other guys. With the amount of PC's and Audio equipment being used they could have opened their own stall with that much on display :D

The LWP/MCPS was very interesting and could have gone on for more like 3 hours.

Cutmaster Swift was great to watch from my point of view as I have never seen that done live before.

All in all I think the show worked very well.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-05-2008, 07:15 PM
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa260/daz2410/pict0242.jpg

And in case you didn't go to the MCPS seminar, here's a piccy!

I posted this 'cos I'm smiling!

Jiggles
18-05-2008, 07:30 PM
OMG Darren thats a sight you hardly ever see :D