PDA

View Full Version : DVD music for discos

Impactdisco
30-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I am going down the route of adding DVD to my disco.

I have purchased a Promo Only DVD and am looking at Mixmash DVDs as well. Those of you that are using DVDs on your disco, do you use conventional DVDs as well, like the NOW compilations or Greatest Hit collections as well?

I am going to buy a laptop so that I can add visuals and messaging as well, so should I use the original dvds, or rip them to MPG to play via the computer?

If I play the original DVDs via the laptop, which is the best way to do it, so that I only get full screen when it's playing via the projector?

Help!

Thanks

h8ytr
30-04-2008, 10:21 AM
yes, check amazon for some really cheap greatest hits DVDs of bands like take that, sugababes, queen, abba, etc.

Best to rip the DVDs if you are using laptop.

Richard Veal
30-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Dvd's of the shelf are not licenced for public preformance where as promo only etc are.

Wouldn't suggest playing dvd straight from laptop is a good idea. if your just starting out with the idea i would suggest just a couple of run of the mill dvd players from your local supermarket.

If you find a market to support the idea then i would thin about more permanent equipment & possible computer use.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-04-2008, 05:45 PM
You can buy a licence from VPL to enable you to play video. I don't think anyone was suggesting playing DVDs from laptop, just ripping them to a suitable format to be able to use them with software on a laptop.

Candybeatdiscos
30-04-2008, 06:09 PM
You can buy a licence from VPL to enable you to play video. I don't think anyone was suggesting playing DVDs from laptop, just ripping them to a suitable format to be able to use them with software on a laptop.

Ok so will we be starting with LWP on this as well? I mean your licensed to use the dvd, but it doesn't state that you can change the format...

So........(Opens can of worms)

djsteve10
30-04-2008, 06:37 PM
I use Promo Only DVD's.. i have the Mix Mash ones but i have found they get dmaged easily and they are on DVD-R discs and that they jump alot too... The ones that did that have been replaced but i always buy Promo Only now as they are very good quality and are at a good price too.

My advice is if you are starting out on video just get the classics on DVD for now and build the collection up as you go along as you can always itneract music into a DVD disco and use visuals on the screens when you are playing normal music.

Richard Veal
30-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Ok so will we be starting with LWP on this as well? I mean your licensed to use the dvd, but it doesn't state that you can change the format...

So........(Opens can of worms)

I've already mentioned it in the appropriate thread

Richard Veal
30-04-2008, 06:54 PM
I don't think anyone was suggesting playing DVDs from laptop

If I play the original DVDs via the laptop, which is the best way to do it

Yes he did :ner:

If you are going to use a laptop, in my experience they really struggle to produce full screen at that resolution, As others have said you will ( again in my opinion) need to rip the dvd into a smaller more managable file. This will stop any stuttering in playback and potential pauses when searching for other tracks. But like i say i really would start simple and test the market first.

If i told you that in 1991 when i jumped to video i started out with a phillips cdi player (anyone remember them - still got mine) and 2 x 25" tvs you'll understand what i mean

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-04-2008, 07:46 PM

I took it to mean that he wanted to rip the DVD and then use them on a laptop.

Impactdisco
30-04-2008, 10:55 PM
I took it to mean that he wanted to rip the DVD and then use them on a laptop.

Actually Solitaire is correct. That was what I meant. However, I may have not explained myself properly so it could have been taken both ways.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Actually Solitaire is correct.

Nothing unusual there then....:DazYoda: :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/ShaunF/DazYoda.gif

jamesh
01-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Dvd's of the shelf are not licenced for public preformance where as promo only etc are.

Wouldn't suggest playing dvd straight from laptop is a good idea. if your just starting out with the idea i would suggest just a couple of run of the mill dvd players from your local supermarket.

If you find a market to support the idea then i would thin about more permanent equipment & possible computer use.

Sorry Richard I disagree here. I used to run dvd's from a laptop (ripped onto the harddrive at the same size/quality as the origional!) and never had any issues with it... I now use a OODJ as my main playout source and that handles the videos fine too...

The advantage of using a laptop/desktop over standard dvd players is that you can adjust the speed/tempo and mix them where as standard players you cant!

If you are going to use a laptop, in my experience they really struggle to produce full screen at that resolution, As others have said you will ( again in my opinion) need to rip the dvd into a smaller more managable file. This will stop any stuttering in playback and potential pauses when searching for other tracks. But like i say i really would start simple and test the market first.

If i told you that in 1991 when i jumped to video i started out with a phillips cdi player (anyone remember them - still got mine) and 2 x 25" tvs you'll understand what i mean

I'd agree with the test the water and start small... just not over what you say about the quality and struggling to produce full screen!!!

And it will be interesting to see how much more expensive the licence will be by the time you add video and karaoke format shift into the big pie!!!

Richard Veal
01-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Actually Solitaire is correct. That was what I meant. However, I may have not explained myself properly so it could have been taken both ways.

Then I appologise Mr Solitare :sorry:

Sorry Richard I disagree here. I used to run dvd's from a laptop (ripped onto the harddrive at the same size/quality as the origional!) and never had any issues with it... I now use a OODJ as my main playout source and that handles the videos fine too...

Your experience has obviously differed to mine, I found laptop gave the problems i stated. However i am no expert on these machines and accept that a more powerfull machine correctly set up will be as you say "FINE"

But i wont be going that way personally, you know how it is when you have been let down too many times - you vow never to return.