PDA

View Full Version : D2 (which HD)

One Vision
05-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Hya folks am on the hunt for a decent hard drive that's good for the D2.

My mate uses the freecom toughdrive 250gb which has been superb so far, trouble is I dont really like the short USB lead that comes out of the main body, I have fears of the wires breaking inside eventually?
Also its quite slow at formatting and takes quite a while to do a full library update.
http://www.aria.co.uk/dynres/cHJvZHVjdF9pbWFnZS53aWR0aD0yMDA=/bWFpbmltYWdlcy9IREktVS1GQy1URFAtMjUuanBn.jpg

I am looking at 120-160gb max that's all but obviously something half decent.
I recently purchased one of fleebay, a 120gb with a samsung HD in, crappy case but what I expected to be a reasonable HD.
Formatted in fat32 uploaded all the files and did a library build excluding the profiles and the D2 wouldn't even recognize the drive so was a little cheesed at that, it was perfect on the PC but not on the D2, although I just sold the HD alone back on fleebay for £4 less than it cost me so not sa bad. :rolleyes:

So what drive do you use that works well on the D2?

Vectis
05-05-2008, 06:42 PM

The Freecom Toughdrives :D

I use three of the 160GB'ers and they're great. The short lead isn't a problem - I use an extension from one of the rear d2 USB slots and just plug the drive into the end of the long lead.

Used them now for about 18 months without any issues.

spin mobile disco
05-05-2008, 06:49 PM
I use 3 i made myself using laptop drives and drive cadies from pc world. Also have 2 iomega 160gb drives but they are slower when used in fat32 as they were designed for ntfs.

Tom
05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
I use a freecom tough drive, the 160gb version with my Denon. Works a treat. When I bought mine it came with a free usb extension lead, which was handy.

One Vision
05-05-2008, 08:17 PM
I guess its a toughdrive then lol, I agree they are cracking drives

Tom
05-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Good choice. :D

rob1963
05-05-2008, 11:08 PM

I'll be using an 80gb ipod classic...although they make a 160gb one.

I've had no issues during my tests so far, although I guess this isn't the advice you're looking for, as most people seem to have a problem with using an ipod as a hard drive, although I have no idea why...so I'll let others answer this one.

:)

djqacy
06-05-2008, 06:12 AM
I m using a Packard Dell store & save 120GB (Seagate inside) for a year now with no problems at all.

Dragonfly
06-05-2008, 07:20 AM
I'll be using an 80gb ipod classic...although they make a 160gb one.

I've had no issues during my tests so far, although I guess this isn't the advice you're looking for, as most people seem to have a problem with using an ipod as a hard drive, although I have no idea why...so I'll let others answer this one.

:)

i've got exactly the same one Rob .. even got the cable to connect it directly to the mixer :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

although i use a freecom for main use its tough and rugged and neither of mine have let me down 400gb and a 160gb , although i have noticed that the 400 runs alot warmer than the 160 for some reason??

One Vision
06-05-2008, 01:58 PM
i've got exactly the same one Rob .. even got the cable to connect it directly to the mixer :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

although i use a freecom for main use its tough and rugged and neither of mine have let me down 400gb and a 160gb , although i have noticed that the 400 runs allot warmer than the 160 for some reason??

Yeh I guess ill stick with the freecom, better the devil you know.
Isn't 400gb a bit overkill 160gb is loads plenty even 80gb if using a couple?
At the moment I have roughly 7000 tracks either at 256 or 320 and have only used 42,2gb and that's including the library database