PDA

View Full Version : Recommended microphones

KaraokeDJ
07-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Good morning all.
I'm thinking of buying some new microphones for karaoke and with so many to choose from, I thought I'd ask for some recommendations.

The problems I want to eliminate with my next set of mics are:

The howl you sometimes get if two mics are too close together.
Pickup well enough for 'quiet' voices but not suck in loads of background noises.
Not create loads of feedback.

I don't want to spend silly money but want a decent sound quality. Just the other night I picked mics up off the floor several times and that would really p*** me off if I'd spend a lot on them.

Please can you, along with recommending 'brands and models' also suggest what specification I should look for and what to avoid. Thanks.

Thanks for any advice.

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-05-2008, 08:20 AM
As has been posted recently, the better and more dynamic the mic, the more prone to feedback it is.

Better positioning is what you need or a feedback destroyer, but then all that does is eliminate certain frequencies.

I have gone the other rounte completely and bought UHF PG58 radio mics for karaoke. I can highly recommend the leaded PG58s though which can be bought for between £30-£40 each.

KaraokeDJ
07-05-2008, 08:28 AM
As has been posted recently, the better and more dynamic the mic, the more prone to feedback it is.

Thanks for the reply. Has there been a thread on this subject? I did a quick search but didn't find much except for about feedback. Perhaps I should go back through that thread but if there are other threads, please can you point me to them.

Cheers.

Spirits High
07-05-2008, 08:32 AM
I use a pair of VHF Kam radio mics, getting on a bit now but for Karaoke under the circumstances you've mentioned I find them ok.

UltraBeat Entertainment
07-05-2008, 08:44 AM
I also use a pair of wireless KAM microphones which I've been using for the past year or so. great mic's but often receive interference from other sources so lose a channel. I have been thinking about down grading to a pair of cheap mic's for pubs as they always get treated badly.

I think if it's for pubs/clubs i would go for the cheapest microphones you can get but if its for private parties/gigs go for the more expensive and better quality

Paul James Promotions
07-05-2008, 08:46 AM
I use the Sennheiser 835s. After about 6 years on the road, they are battered, but still going strong.

KaraokeDJ
07-05-2008, 08:47 AM
the better and more dynamic the mic, the more prone to feedback it is

What is the alternative to being 'too dynamic'?

I just realised the brainlessness of that question!!! Me the dummy. Obviously the alternative to being 'too dynamic' would be 'less dynamic' but what is the terminolgy I should look for?

I use the Sennheiser 835s. After about 6 years on the road, they are battered, but still going strong.

I think I may have one of them at home (can't quite remember the model number). Is it quite heavy? I do recall it has a lovely warm sound as I've used it for recording but when I had let someone use it I got comments about it being heavy.

Must admit, I do like the sound of a Sennheiser mic... But obviously they aren't all the same.

Paul James Promotions
07-05-2008, 09:05 AM
The wireless units are heavier than the SM58 wireless for sure. Better build quality? :P :D

For the wired ones, not much difference in weight.

Boogie Boy
07-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Sorry folks, but saying a better microphone is more prone to feedback is totally wrong, IMO. A better microphone should have a flatter frequency response, than a cheap and cheerful one and therefore less prone to feedback.

The problem is more likely to be (a) a mis-match between the output of the wireless receiver and the input of the mixer, or (b) your speakers are not particularly flat.

If you find that you only have to take your mixer channel input up to say 9, 10 or 11 0'clock before feedback occurs, then (a) is probably the case. There's a simple solution. Buy an in line attenuator that'll knock down the output of the receiver to match the mixer input's level. Alternatively, make sure the microphone's output isn't the problem. Some wireless system microphones could be a little 'hot' for the receiver's input stage. Maybe this can be tweaked by a good engineer.

If that isn't the case, either buy a good feedback destroyer, or try and EQ the problem out. For instance, it may be a good idea to dampen the middle frequencies, 'cos that's where most feedback normally is. Also, if you have a weak singer...don't play back the backing track quite so loudly.

Another rule of thumb is to have adjacent microphones at least 1 metre apart, so that there's less chance of them 'starting each other off'.

KaraokeDJ
07-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks for that "Boogie Boy". You've clarified a few good points which, in addition to previous posts, suggest it's probably not a need to buy new microphones but tweak the audio - saving me some hard earned cash!

Thanks.

ppentertainments
07-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Agree !!!
Can take me ages sometimes to get speakers positioned correctly and settings adjusted.
A feedback eliminator was mentioned by Daz which is a good idea but you may find it not suitable for karaoke. They eliminate certain frequencies but can eliminate a lot of frequencies used by singers. I must admit to only having used one twice so futher research could be needed.

CRAZY K
07-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks for that "Boogie Boy". You've clarified a few good points which, in addition to previous posts, suggest it's probably not a need to buy new microphones but tweak the audio - saving me some hard earned cash!

Thanks.

Depends how much eq you have to play with.

If your struggling with sound in venues I would say you need minimum three band on your microphone mixer channel i.e. bass, middle and treble.

Its true that if your not careful you eq out clarity--

CRAZY K

DazzyD
08-05-2008, 06:16 AM
I have gone the other rounte completely and bought UHF PG58 radio mics for karaoke. I can highly recommend the leaded PG58s though which can be bought for between £30-£40 each.

The Wireless UHF58s may be a little expensive for some just starting out in karaoke but the leaded versions are decent mics. I actually use the lesser PG48s and they've done me well so far.

I use a pair of VHF Kam radio mics, getting on a bit now but for Karaoke under the circumstances you've mentioned I find them ok.

Not a bad choice but VHF are prone to dropping the signal occasionally. It would be a better choice, when choosing wireless, to go for the UHF versions.

I use a Sennheiser and have done since I started. I do find, however, that they don't like to be anywhere near an SM58 (or maybe it's the other way round) and cause feedback. Nothing that can't be fixed by a few mixer tweaks though.

KaraokeDJ
08-05-2008, 07:45 AM
I use a Sennheiser and have done since I started. I do find, however, that they don't like to be anywhere near an SM58 (or maybe it's the other way round) and cause feedback. Nothing that can't be fixed by a few mixer tweaks though.

What 'tweaks' can eliminate the problem we get from mics too close together?
I know it's hard to put a specific number on the levels as every situation is different, but if you can point out some suggestions it would be appreciated as I think its a problem experienced by most of us from time to time.

Thanks.

Sarahjovi
08-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi,

I use a pair of Kam 1940 UHF Wireless Mics, great sound and 16 channels. I don't tend to get any feed back, just a case of positioning your speakers far enough away from the singer, also use of the Gain control on your mixer etc.,
These have been dropped a couple of times and so far have survived, although I panic everytime and let the punter know! (Why do they have to throw them up in the air, juggle etc with them!)

For the drunks and dodgy looking punters I have 2 cheap Newmark WM200 wired mics which cost me approx £20 (the pair) off of ebay, these sound remarkably good for the cheapness.

Microphones are a minefield, a local Karaoke I go to had a prosound wireless set from Maplin, cost approx £99, but sound really awful.

Of course the Shure mics are the best, but this is Karaoke, and you don't really have to spend £500 on mics!

Cheers

Sarah:D

UltraBeat Entertainment
08-05-2008, 10:39 AM
It dosen't matter how good the microphones are it's not going to help many of my local karaoke singers:D :D :D

DazzyD
08-05-2008, 05:04 PM
What 'tweaks' can eliminate the problem we get from mics too close together?
I know it's hard to put a specific number on the levels as every situation is different, but if you can point out some suggestions it would be appreciated as I think its a problem experienced by most of us from time to time.

Thanks.

I find the easiest tweak is to reduce the reverb/echo level. This doesn't cure the problem completely but it does help.

Also, lowering the mic gains slightly can give positive results.

Like you say every situation is different as the acoustics in every venue is different. It's just a case of trying it out when soundchecking and setting your levels then but be prepared to tweak them during the show.

KaraokeDJ
09-05-2008, 06:54 AM
I find the easiest tweak is to reduce the reverb/echo level. This doesn't cure the problem completely but it does help.

Also, lowering the mic gains slightly can give positive results.

Thanks again. I hadn't actually thought of the reverb. I don't use a lot but will certainly give it a tweak tonight. With the gains, I have got into the habit of leaving them relatively low and letting the amp do the work which I find is better than forcing more from the mics.

MrWeetabix
21-05-2008, 05:23 PM
You guys will probably laugh at me for this, but here we go...

I have been doing weekly Karaoke every week for two and a half years now, I've had the good, the bad and the ugly, and thats just the punters!

Generally, the mics are abused, dropped (spun round and not caught most of the time) spat on, juggled, etc etc. Generally ruined! To this end I thought it pointless spending heaps of money on quality equipment for the local beer-tards to wreck.

They get Crage c-325 wireless mics now, hardly top of the range, but more than adequet for what I need them for. £25 a pair, delivered. for that price, mics are disposable in my eyes and I don't cry as much when they get destroyed!:cry: They're not actually that bad really. They can be a little hard to work with at times for the quiet singers, but a little education in how to hold the mic and such like tends to sort that out. Its generally not a problem when we've got the Sid Vicious wannabe singing, or rather screaming "God Save The Queen" down the mic! Hi / Mid / Lo on your mic input is essential though, although each mic has its own variable volume, which is handy for duets.

I do keep a quality radio mic with me though, as I do have some exceptional talent performing in some of my venues, so I don't mind pushing the boat out a little for them, as they are probably the people who keep me going through the normal dross. :D

Totally Plucked
27-11-2008, 05:14 AM
Behringer triple pack, good mics for the money.

DJMaxG
04-01-2009, 06:19 AM
The Kam Dual ones (yellow/blue) with desktop receiver.

£120 = twin handheld mics

£170 = twin handheld + Belt Pack Accessories

KaraokeDJ
04-01-2009, 08:29 AM
The Kam Dual ones (yellow/blue) with desktop receiver.
£120 = twin handheld mics
They are a decent set (UHF), rugged enough for karaoke, batteries last a good length of time, sounds ok, very little feedback, what more can you ask for in that price range. I'm impressed.

OllieJames
04-01-2009, 08:38 AM
I've got a few different mics, i use a Shure Wireless 58BETA, but i also have shed loads of SM58s (mum's in a band ;)).

I think your best bet is something like the SM58, as they are like bullet proof. A couple of the SM58s we have are from something like 30 years ago? My grandad used to tour with them, and they still work perfectly after years & years of use.

Then again, they're around £70 a time. Darrens idea is good about the PG58s, and they are cheaper.

Having said that, i personally find for live work, my favourite mic i have used is the Sennheiser SKM 545 G2. Lovely warm, rounded sound, you also get some studio clarity to the sound too.

Excalibur
04-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Heavens, what a subject. Twinspin and I used the Behringer triple pack recently, and they worked well enough, and I'd have to say since we set up on the run, and didn't have the luxury of a full soundcheck that we didn't get great sound, but they worked fine. After an afternoon of unknotting leads, I'd have loved cordless. Except that many of our singers wanted to go walkies, which is dangerous. :eek: At least with a cable we could reel them back in. :D As a best compromise between quality and cost, I'd say Senheiser825 or 835/ Shure PG48.

So much depends on how well or badly your punters treat them. :confused:

KaraokeDJ
04-01-2009, 09:16 AM
... many of our singers wanted to go walkies, which is dangerous. :eek: At least with a cable we could reel them back in. :D

Oh yes, there's always one who thinks he/she can disappear into the crowd with the microphone and that is a time you wish you had them on a lead!

mark karaoke
10-05-2009, 01:31 PM
totally agree with totally plucked ---- the behringer triple pack is really good value and sound cannot be faulted for the money

Shakermaker Promotions
10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I use SM58's and recently bought a couple of PG58's and I really like them.

Jiggles
10-05-2009, 02:48 PM
WE have 8 PG58s at the school and there ok. The 30 year old dented and battered SM58 is a corker! :D

Shakermaker Promotions
10-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Both of my SM58's are bruised and battered. I know it only costs around £10.00 for a new head shield but they aren't that bad.

Funny thing is...and this isn't bragging (sorry if it appears to be), I was told a long time ago by a P.A. guy who was doing the sound for a gig we were doing at The Astoria in London with The Pogues that SM58's are better when they have been through the mill a bit or slapped about.

charlie
11-05-2009, 06:41 PM
hi martin,

I have used SM58s for ever until i used one of these at a club.

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/microphones/numark/wm200

It sounds so clear and at £18 is a steal! Also with them being so cheap make them ideal for punters dropping them all over the place.

I know use this one over my SM58 now!

Hope this helps

DJMaxG
15-05-2009, 03:23 AM
hi martin,

I have used SM58s for ever until i used one of these at a club.
It sounds so clear and at £18 is a steal! Also with them being so cheap make them ideal for punters dropping them all over the place.

I know use this one over my SM58 now!

Hope this helps

£18 isn't really a steal, when some of the high quality microphones can cost £50 and upwards. :)

When I saw this Numark Mic, I thought it was very good value for money, as it looks just like an expensive one, but by branding it Numark, the price has instantly dropped.

Mark Wild
15-05-2009, 11:31 AM
£18 isn't really a steal, when some of the high quality microphones can cost £50 and upwards. :)

When I saw this Numark Mic, I thought it was very good value for money, as it looks just like an expensive one, but by branding it Numark, the price has instantly dropped.

What you on mate? :shrug:

Sarahjovi
15-05-2009, 11:49 AM
I've got a couple of these Numark Mic's and agree the sound is very good for the price, however they tend to go wrong after a while (buzzing over the PA). I use mine at home, to save me getting out my Kam 1940's

Sarah