PDA

View Full Version : help, Amp dramas!!!

Spirits High
07-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Guys,

Just testing out my rig before the gig this friday and I can't get any sound:eek:

I bought a new DA1000 off Clive at NADJ and thought best to test fire it before just arriving and cracking on.

Scenario is kit Denon hd2500 with dnx900 mixer no problem playing out on these as i've got it going through the "unbalanced" red & white into a powered speaker.

Problem is when I go out of the balanced outputs on mixer xlr to xlr input on the amp, speakons out to the speakers and no sound!

Is there any way to test an amp? The correct led sequence comes on when starting up but no sound.

Is there anything I might have missed?

Any ideas would be great.

Tom
07-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Is there a signal going in to the amp from the mixer???

Maby check all the leads you have???

Spirits High
07-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Is there a signal going in to the amp from the mixer???

Maby check all the leads you have???

undid them acouple of times and refitted but nothing

wensleydale
07-05-2008, 06:59 PM
hasnt the da1000 got a couple of different inputs?
try the jack?
alternatively can you try a mic - xlr on one channel? not ideal but would let you see if you get anything out of it.

other option is eliminate the mixer- ie run that into something else- hi fi amp or similar to see if its working.

Spirits High
07-05-2008, 07:03 PM
hasnt the da1000 got a couple of different inputs?
try the jack?
alternatively can you try a mic - xlr on one channel? not ideal but would let you see if you get anything out of it.

other option is eliminate the mixer- ie run that into something else- hi fi amp or similar to see if its working.

Rich

Tried the mic thing and..............................nothing!!

I take it we can conclude from that the amps fubard?

Penfold42
07-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Silly question really.....but has it tripped and the fuse is still OK....:)
Are the switches in the right place.....

Silly questions i know.....but i've done worse.....:)

If you need an amp for Friday your more than welcome to use one on mine...

ppentertainments
07-05-2008, 07:34 PM

Also you do have the volume turned up on the amp. Sounds daft but I have done it before.

Penfold42
07-05-2008, 07:36 PM
:lol:...glad I'm not the only one.....:D :D :D
Channels at 12 o'clock.....

How we doing bud??

Spirits High
07-05-2008, 07:37 PM

Tone , am getting the blue light on the front which tells you it's getting power etc so I rekon the fuse etc is ok. Tried flicking switches etc but no joy.

just a bit miffed as it means getting it back to Clive and sorting it out.

Thanks for the offer, but if I can't get it going i'll use my active set up. Just fancied using the smaller set up this weekend ;)

Spirits High
07-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Also you do have the volume turned up on the amp. Sounds daft but I have done it before.

Yep, checked that ;)

Penfold42
07-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the offer, but if I can't get it going i'll use my active set up. Just fancied using the smaller set up this weekend ;)

:cool: .....no problem....you shall just have to wait another day to try the mighty "Warrior" amp.......:p :D

Blues good......but should there not be another light on??? that pulses with the signal.......???

Do you have another 2 lights on....

Spirits High
07-05-2008, 07:45 PM
:cool: .....no problem....you shall just have to wait another day to try the mighty "Warrior" amp.......:p :D

Blues good......but should there not be another light on??? that pulses with the signal.......???

Do you have another 2 lights on....

Nope just a blue light I know the set ups working as I can play it through a powered speaker

Penfold42
07-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Sounds like a lemon.....:( ...forgive the pun...:D

Spirits High
07-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Sounds like a lemon.....:( ...forgive the pun...:D

Clive, where are you??? Expect a call in the morning:(

CRAZY K
07-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi Paul, never used a slave amp only a powered mixer arrangement in more recent years.

I would think if you plug the speakers in and turn on the amp --with volume on max you should get a hum or a hiss through the speakers if its working?

Regards

Alan

CRAZY K

Penfold42
07-05-2008, 08:29 PM
How very odd.....sorry geezer.....:(

Spirits High
07-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi Paul, never used a slave amp only a powered mixer arrangement in more recent years.

I would think if you plug the speakers in and turn on the amp --with volume on max you should get a hum or a hiss through the speakers if its working?

Regards

Alan

CRAZY K

Alan, I usually use my active set up so don't have this problem normally, but thought fridays venue may be drowned with the "big boys"" so wanted to try out the passives.

Been through and checked and double checked but nothing not even a hum or buzz.

Even had Tony on the phone doing a walk through talk through :D :D

Think i'll end up going down the local shop near where I work and get them to test it.

Paul James Promotions
07-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Are all 3 pins in each XLR connected?

spin mobile disco
07-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Have you checked the master fader or trim controls on the mixer. Also try the booth output on mixer to try for a signal. Can you hear through headphones?

Spirits High
07-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Are all 3 pins in each XLR connected?

As far as I know they are, all nice and tight connections

Have you checked the master fader or trim controls on the mixer. Also try the booth output on mixer to try for a signal. Can you hear through headphones?

Master fader on mixer ok,

Have tried booth output.....but nothing

Can hear "cue" through the headphones but nothing else, it works when I play out through a powered speaker but not through the amp.

Am well confused like

CRAZY K
07-05-2008, 09:30 PM
As far as I know they are, all nice and tight connections

Master fader on mixer ok,

Have tried booth output.....but nothing

Can hear "cue" through the headphones but nothing else, it works when I play out through a powered speaker but not through the amp.

Am well confused like

Talk it through with Clive in the morning:D

CRAZY K

Spirits High
07-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Talk it through with Clive in the morning:D

CRAZY K

I will!!

Excalibur
08-05-2008, 06:33 AM
Do you use a CD playout system? Connect CD player direct to the amp inputs, a home one is ideal for this. If no noise then suspect problems with the amp. Sorry I didnt see this last night, I was " busy" . :D ( Only another three years of ripping if I'm lucky, and then two years of concerted editing

Spirits High
08-05-2008, 04:46 PM
UPDATE TIME

Well you'll be pleased to know I now have an amp that works :D

Not the one I had last night I might hasten to add, I spoke to clive this morning and said he'd never had an "out of box" failure before (first time for everything;) )

I suggested i'd take it along to my local dealer here in Liverpool (where i am during the week) for them to test it which I did.

Thankfully in a way there was no output from the amp when put onto one of their systems. I say thankfully as I now know it wasn't anything I was doing wrong :D

So further investigations were called for, off came the lid and the culprit was found to be 2 of the internal fuses were blown :eek:

Quick call to Clive, Clive had chat to Dave (pro-light and sound), I left shop with new amp after Clive and Dave had sorted it.

Nice to see a good bit of customer service by two dealers getting their heads together.

End result i've got my amp and will be gigging it tomorrow at the wedding ;)

Penfold42
08-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Well done paul.........now try placing you hair back on your head! :D

Spirits High
08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Well done paul.........now try placing you hair back on your head! :D

You're not wrong Tone,

Thought I was going to lugging those really light active speakers around that I know you loved carrying at christmas :D :D