PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive problem's

Penfold42
11-05-2008, 06:19 PM
OK just been trying to configure my hard drives...i have 1 Freecom 250 and 2 Maxtors 500.

The Freecom will work on the Denon, Cortex and laptop.
The Maxtor's will only work on the laptop....it will not work with the Denon or Cortex.......

Do i need to do something with the Maxtror hard drive's??....all the latest firmware i have installed on each hard drive so they can read across .........

Any thoughts.....:o

Thank you.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Is the drive formatted Fat32 or NTFS Tony?

I know the Denon only uses one format - can't remember which one at this current moment though...

Jiggles
11-05-2008, 06:28 PM
FAT Will allow the device to write to the hard drive while NTFS will be read only. Som players only FAT. Some like both.

Penfold42
11-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Is the drive formatted Fat32 or NTFS Tony?

I know the Denon only uses one format - can't remember which one at this current moment though...

FAT Will allow the device to write to the hard drive while NTFS will be read only. Som players only FAT. Some like both.

NTFS......oh balls....does that mean i've bought the wrong hard drives.....:o

Dragonfly
11-05-2008, 06:34 PM
why on earth did you get maxtor Tone when the Freecoms work so well for you ? ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

is there not a way to reformat it to the configuration you need??? it will mean i think that you will need to transfer all your music again but saves you shelling out for another hard drive ... if it is possible.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Just checked, your drive will need to be Fat32. NTFS doesn't work with he Denon.

djgordyp
11-05-2008, 06:40 PM
You can use your laptop to reformat them in either fat32 or ntfs

Penfold42
11-05-2008, 06:41 PM
why on earth did you get maxtor Tone when the Freecoms work so well for you ? ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

is there not a way to reformat it to the configuration you need??? it will mean i think that you will need to transfer all your music again but saves you shelling out for another hard drive ... if it is possible.

Just checked, your drive will need to be Fat32. NTFS doesn't work with he Denon.

OK cheers guys...:(

I'll keep one for the laptop.......and buy another Freecom........

I take it ....if i keep the main music on my Maxtor.....it should read across on the other hard drives as FAT files then.....so the main one for the laptop should hold all the music files .....or am i wrong??

Edit..

You can use your laptop to reformat them in either fat32 or ntfs
How?

djgordyp
11-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Errr can't remember :confused: :confused:

Seriously, Right click on the drive and you should have the option to format it. The next box that opens should give you the option to change the file system. If it says NTFS then click on the down arrow to select FAT32. I would leave everyting else as it is unless you want to give the drive a name.
That's how it is on XP anyway.

Excalibur
11-05-2008, 06:59 PM
NTFS......oh balls....does that mean i've bought the wrong hard drives.....:o

A pc should allow you to format the HD in the way you wish. My problem is the reverse, I'd like to go NTFS to FAT, and in the Cortex forum ( and somewhere else) there's a link to a free programme to do it. Yours is the easy way, but don't ask me how! (Actually it's got to be how Callum showed me. ;) )

Edit: Post above sounds pretty close, you won't need to buy another HD.

Tom
11-05-2008, 07:02 PM
I thought when you format a HD you get a choice of either FAT16/32 or NTFS?

djgordyp
11-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Not on my pc anyway. Just NTFS or FAT32

Penfold42
11-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Errr can't remember :confused: :confused:

Seriously, Right click on the drive and you should have the option to format it. The next box that opens should give you the option to change the file system. If it says NTFS then click on the down arrow to select FAT32. I would leave everyting else as it is unless you want to give the drive a name.
That's how it is on XP anyway.

Did that not a chance.......NTFS and that's it......:(

Ah well nevermind....might be cheeky and take them back......:D

Excalibur
11-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Did that not a chance.......NTFS and that's it......:(

Ah well nevermind....might be cheeky and take them back......:D

Ask Callum! ;)
Anyway, as one of my tutors in this digital lark, how come I'm giving you advice? :confused:

Edit: Oops, my mistake. Look on the Cortex forum, you're trying to go the same way as me. (NTFS to FAT? )

Here's the post

http://www.cortex-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=816

Jiggles
11-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Hmm this thread has got me thinking! I dont think you will be seeing me for a while!

DazzyD
11-05-2008, 07:24 PM
I thought when you format a HD you get a choice of either FAT16/32 or NTFS?

When you buy an external drive nowadays, they are pre-formatted - usually to the FAT32 filing system because (I think it's this way round) FAT32 offers true plug and play capability whereas with NTFS, you need to choose "Safely Remove Hardware" before unplugging. Something to do with NTFS continually writing to a drive - even when you've just read the drive it updates it drive records by writing to it. I'm no expert but I was reading this just a few days ago. The expert (in PC Advisor) said that NTFS is not much good for portable drives due to the way the filing system works. NTFS records the owner of a file which may prevent it being accessed from another PC/device other than that it was originally created on.

I have two Maxtor Basics 500GB drives. The first one was a breeze in setting up. Got it partitioned in to two drives pretty easily. The new one, although just updated from the older model (ie - it's in a new, smaller sleek-black case) refuses to be partioned and I've no idea why. I've been told a few suggestions but I might just leave it as one big drive for music and leave the admin files on the PC.

Excalibur
11-05-2008, 07:36 PM
When you buy an external drive nowadays, they are pre-formatted - usually to the FAT32 filing system because (I think it's this way round) FAT32 offers true plug and play capability whereas with NTFS, you need to choose "Safely Remove Hardware" before unplugging. Something to do with NTFS continually writing to a drive - even when you've just read the drive it updates it drive records by writing to it. I'm no expert but I was reading this just a few days ago. The expert (in PC Advisor) said that NTFS is not much good for portable drives due to the way the filing system works. NTFS records the owner of a file which may prevent it being accessed from another PC/device other than that it was originally created on.

I have two Maxtor Basics 500GB drives. The first one was a breeze in setting up. Got it partitioned in to two drives pretty easily. The new one, although just updated from the older model (ie - it's in a new, smaller sleek-black case) refuses to be partioned and I've no idea why. I've been told a few suggestions but I might just leave it as one big drive for music and leave the admin files on the PC.

Oh crap! Guess what I've just bought? :(

Penfold42
11-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Oh crap! Guess what I've just bought? :(

Peter these are the one's i've got.....double...:( :(

Jiggles
11-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Youse should be ok. Hes wanting to make one hard drive into two. IE the PC sees two hard drives but phisicaly there is only one.

Excalibur
11-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Peter these are the one's i've got.....double...:( :(

And I bet I know where you got'em! ;) I won't tell if you don't. :D :D

rob1963
11-05-2008, 08:29 PM
FAT Will allow the device to write to the hard drive

I certainly will, but I'd rather you just call me Rob!

:D

DazzyD
11-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Youse should be ok. Hes wanting to make one hard drive into two. IE the PC sees two hard drives but phisicaly there is only one.

That's my little dilemma at the moment. I was trying to get the point over that NTFS drives probably won't work with an audio controller due to the fact that they'd need to able to 1) write to the drive to update the file details whenever a file is accessed and 2) have created the files on there in the first place to be able to read them. With FAT32, owner (the computer/user that created the file) details aren't recorded with the file so this is not a problem.

Anyhow, I can't see what you just can't reformat the drive as a FAT32 drive. Are you using Vista? If so, you need to be using a user account with Administrator privileges to have any write access to the drive at all. If User Account Control (UAC) is on this may cause you problems (or least a seemingly endless string of warning messages!).

I certainly will, but I'd rather you just call me Rob!

He! He! He!

Wait a minute. FAT32? I'm 32 and I'm not what you'd call skinny. I wonder if they're referring to me?!? :eek: :eek:

Jiggles
11-05-2008, 10:58 PM
You can reformat a hard drive into any format you wish.

Jiggles
12-05-2008, 07:59 AM
ARGH! My D2 wont see my hard drive. I think is due to the fact that its a enclosure. hmm.

Vectis
12-05-2008, 08:03 AM
d2 accepts NTFS or FAT32. It just won't write to NTFS.

That's a good thing in my experience. No corruption here :cool:

All library processing on the PC. Just how it should be.

If you want a FAT32 partition bigger than 32GB you'll need special tools if you're trying to build it with XP or earlier (not sure about Vista). Also remember that FAT32 partitions won't allow you to create individual files of more than 4GB in size. Not a problem for music but if you're intending ripping DVDs etc. this might be an issue.

Corabar Steve
12-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Go onto Maxtor's site & use the formatting tools they have there for their own drives. They're a doddle!

(Look at that, I used there, their & they're in one paragraph (& correctly) Some members should take note of this & learn the difference)

d2 accepts NTFS or FAT32. It just won't write to NTFS.

That's a good thing in my experience. No corruption here :cool:

& if you want to save memo points etc...?

Penfold42
12-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Oh pants.....gonna send hem back.....:(

Corabar Steve
12-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Can you not just use the Maxtor tools?

Dragonfly
12-05-2008, 03:39 PM
here .... i think ...

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/

Corabar Steve
12-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Maxblast. That's the fella!

CRAZY K
12-05-2008, 04:16 PM
here .... i think ...

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/

I started to read some of these posts went cross eyed and gave up then asked myself this question--

Why am I so lucky?

All I wanted was simple Digital Music

I bought 3 Seagate HDDs and 2 Cortex HDC 1000s.

I plug the HDDs into the Cortex machines and they all work perfectly without prompting. I dont use cue points (should that matter)

I update on the Cortex machine rather than a PC ( personal choice) and that works fine.

My Cortex machines and HDDs have never been a problem.

I really should buy a Lottery ticket:D :D :D

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
12-05-2008, 04:22 PM
I started to read some of these posts went cross eyed and gave up then asked myself this question--

Why am I so lucky?

All I wanted was simple Digital Music

I bought 3 Seagate HDDs and 2 Cortex HDC 1000s.

I plug the HDDs into the Cortex machines and they all work perfectly without prompting. I dont use cue points (should that matter)

I update on the Cortex machine rather than a PC ( personal choice) and that works fine.

My Cortex machines and HDDs have never been a problem.

I really should buy a Lottery ticket:D :D :D

CRAZY K

just out of interest Alan which numbers would you have ?? :D :D :D :D :D

DazzyD
12-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the link!

Just downloaded MaxBlast5 from the given link. I'll give it a go but I'm gonna need to back up the drive first as I have put some new stuff on over the weekend.

It's gonna be a busy night (again!).

CRAZY K
12-05-2008, 05:46 PM
just out of interest Alan which numbers would you have ?? :D :D :D :D :D

5, 7, 13, 29, 40, 45

Numbers of houses I have owned and Birthdays

Very scientific.

SEND ME 10 PER CENT WHEN YOU WIN

:D :D :D

Alan
CRAZY K

Excalibur
12-05-2008, 10:47 PM
d2 accepts NTFS or FAT32. It just won't write to NTFS. That's a good thing in my experience. No corruption here :cool:

All library processing on the PC. Just how it should be.

If you want a FAT32 partition bigger than 32GB you'll need special tools if you're trying to build it with XP or earlier (not sure about Vista). Also remember that FAT32 partitions won't allow you to create individual files of more than 4GB in size. Not a problem for music but if you're intending ripping DVDs etc. this might be an issue.

Apparently so does the Cortex. Haven't decided whether to turn the Master drive ( the one that stays at home) to FAT, but may easily do so with the travelling one.

Tom
12-05-2008, 10:51 PM
If you rack mount everything and have the hd fitted in the box then it should not be a problem???

Corabar Steve
13-05-2008, 07:02 AM
If you rack mount everything and have the hd fitted in the box then it should not be a problem???

Eh?http://planetsmilies.net/vicious-smiley-1819.gif (http://planetsmilies.net):confused:

Penfold42
13-05-2008, 08:05 AM
No good even on me PC at home..........:(

What out shop...here i come...:mad:

Corabar Steve
13-05-2008, 08:09 AM
What out shop...here i come...:mad:

Maybe they should watch out too :sj:

Penfold42
13-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Maybe they should watch out too :sj:

Is vrye ctchagin tdoya............:D

Jiggles
13-05-2008, 09:13 AM
www.aria.co.uk :D brilliant.

One Vision
13-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Now proper fed up just bought the Maxter basic HD and that frigging thing dont work on the D2.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380025401527&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=025

I think the problem lies within the internals on how it receives the power and data?
On the Maxtor and the other one I bought they both have a double usb lead with one being data/power and the other power only but the lead is an actual y-type lead, both perfect on the PC but arent recognized by the media players.

I do have an ide external powered hd but is large and the power supply causes too many noises through the speakers when loading a track or searching etc. so thats ney good.

Its really annoying me know as I know the toughdrives work well but just dont like the lead that comes out of them, I know other members are using them and I have also been using one with my mates show for quite a while now but just not confident in the short flimsy lead so is putting me off getting one :mad:

Krazy whats the Seagate drive you have? I am assuming it has a single standard USB lead which is the reason why it works?

Tom
13-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Have you tried using a powered hub??? I use one on my Denon for the extra power.

One Vision
13-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Have you tried using a powered hub??? I use one on my Denon for the extra power.

Hya mate yeh I have a powered hub wired in the flight box, I have set this side of things up the same as I did for my mate just excluding the toughdrive.
If I have to go for the toughdrive I will as the hard drive side of things is perfect, just not confident in the short lead that comes out of it but if needs must I will get one.

Tom
13-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Ahh ok. Didn't know that. The tough drive is really. But if you are worried about the lead just buy a usb extention lead and lay the drive down. I would take some pics but my lights are stacked up on the rack box. :(

Vectis
13-05-2008, 04:34 PM
I've used three of the toughdrives for about 18 months now, 2/3 gigs per week, transferred from laptop bag to d2/laptop and then back again, then at some point during the week they get updated with the latest downloads.

No problem whatsover with the 'funny little leads' - just use the extensions that are provided in the box. :bang:

Penfold42
13-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Another question.....if you please...:)

If the hard drive is NTFS and you rip music to it......if you take another copy of that rip and place it on a FAT32 hard drive......will it be able to read it without any hiccups???

Thanks.

Just curious....

Vectis
13-05-2008, 10:41 PM
NTFS and FAT describe the way in which the surface of the disk(s) is(are) divided into logical units for the purposes of storing data.

You can copy files from one disk to another without any issues.

Everything you need to know (and 101 reasons to trust NTFS over FAT) here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS) and here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table) ;)

Penfold42
13-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Thank you......got some bed time reading now......:p

So why (as i've been doing some swotting up myself) are we using playout systems with FAT32 when they are not so rock on?

Vectis
13-05-2008, 10:59 PM
'cos the coding's easier? :o

Luckily my choice of player supports both :p

Penfold42
14-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Thank you...

:moon:

Dragonfly
14-05-2008, 08:21 AM

just the expensive option that doesn't cover all the bases then :D :D :D :D :D

Penfold42
14-05-2008, 08:25 AM
just the expensive option that doesn't cover all the bases then :D :D :D :D :D

DAVE.......

Shut up......

One Vision
14-05-2008, 12:25 PM
I've used three of the toughdrives for about 18 months now, 2/3 gigs per week, transferred from laptop bag to d2/laptop and then back again, then at some point during the week they get updated with the latest downloads.

No problem whatsover with the 'funny little leads' - just use the extensions that are provided in the box. :bang:

You hurt your head keep banging it like that :D
Like I mentioned in one of me posts that yes other members like them and so do I and have also used them with no issues, however I have noticed on my mates that were the led bulb is thats enclosed within the lead its started to go slightly brown i.e. slightly scorched the rubber housing.
This may not actually be a problem but the wires also run alongside within the same wire casing so there is a good chance of the wires eventually becoming brittle and breaking, again it may never do that but regardless of how good and reliable the actual drive is and has the anti shock system etc. the lead itself is still a weak spot that am not overly confident in and at the end of the day I'm just trying to eliminate as many "POTENTIAL" problems as possible.

Am looking for a harddrive really that is as good as the toughdrive but has a more universal usb lead so if the lead plays up I have a spare lead in the box to change it, unfortunately though if this was to happen with the toughdrive then other than removing the internal drive from its enclosure and putting in a new caddy which would then lose its toughdrive name as its the caddy that makes it tough then its no use as its a fixed lead.