PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - Speakers!

MrWeetabix
21-05-2008, 05:03 PM
After bad experiences with cheap (I'll admit it) Skytec speakers (curses their name), I am now thinking of a solid investment. Most of my work is venue-based, but I have small shows I send out as needed. Looking to upgrade the speakers to more reliable ones. I have seen the pictures of some of the kit you guys have and I am very impressed, but I am no way in the big leagues. Mainly small pubs, functions doing occasional events, quiz's, one-off DJs etc.

500w is ample for what I need, but I;d like to hear user's opinions on preamp speakers over passive ones. I have heard both good and bad reports, but I'd like to have experience comment on this guys :D. Cheers in advance...

Tom
21-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Is that 500 watts per side or total. Maby for 300 per side and if you need subs then get those at a later date?

A1DL
21-05-2008, 05:18 PM
After bad experiences with cheap (I'll admit it) Skytec speakers (curses their name), I am now thinking of a solid investment. Most of my work is venue-based, but I have small shows I send out as needed. Looking to upgrade the speakers to more reliable ones. I have seen the pictures of some of the kit you guys have and I am very impressed, but I am no way in the big leagues. Mainly small pubs, functions doing occasional events, quiz's, one-off DJs etc.

500w is ample for what I need, but I;d like to hear user's opinions on preamp speakers over passive ones. I have heard both good and bad reports, but I'd like to have experience comment on this guys :D. Cheers in advance...

Craig - watts means nothing, it's efficiency that is relevant.

Penfold42
21-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Craig - watts means nothing, it's efficiency that is relevant.

:agree:.....that's why i use my Warriors......:p :D

Spirits High
21-05-2008, 07:28 PM
:agree:.....that's why i use my Warriors......:p :D

Warriors........come out to play... (now which film was that from?)

Or Tone, I spose we could say....you passive , me active (in a Tarzan styley) and cheetah is still having his tea party in Nottingham hospital :D :D

pagan_flame
21-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Come join the Mackie active / Class D passive club!

Tom
21-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Come join the Mackie active...

Can I join this club aswell please???

MrWeetabix
21-05-2008, 07:54 PM
most I have ever needed to use is a 500w amp, the venues I have needed them for havent warrented anything bigger

I have a pair of 300w rated warriors...blew the top end on them. Axeman doing a repair this week. :beerchug: :D

I was thinking preamp speakers would be easier in terms of storage and installation, but like I said, I've had mixed feedback from people who have used them in the past...

Sapphire Disco
21-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I use Studiomaster VX15s which I am very happy with if you could get a pair cheaply they are good, but if I had to get a new set of speakers there is no doubt I would go for RCF when I was on holiday they had them out doors uncovered day & night sounded great.

flatliners
21-05-2008, 09:36 PM
for size and weight has to be the rcf 310a but then again we could all recomend speakers on here but its a personal thing

CRAZY K
21-05-2008, 09:51 PM
If you want reliable hard wearing speakers that are suitable for Disco/PA /Band use I been very pleased with my passive Peavey speakers.

Never let me down.

Theres probably a few people that dont like them--but I dont take any notice of them:D :D :D

I have been very pleased with them--they do a job for me.

CRAZY K

One Vision
21-05-2008, 11:06 PM
If you want reliable hard wearing speakers that are suitable for Disco/PA /Band use I been very pleased with my passive Peavey speakers.

Never let me down.

Theres probably a few people that dont like them--but I dont take any notice of them:D :D :D

I have been very pleased with them--they do a job for me.

CRAZY K

:thumbsup:

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-05-2008, 11:36 PM
if I had to get a new set of speakers there is no doubt I would go for RCF

:thumbsup: :D

Boogie Boy
23-05-2008, 07:55 AM
most I have ever needed to use is a 500w amp, the venues I have needed them for havent warrented anything bigger

I have a pair of 300w rated warriors...blew the top end on them. Axeman doing a repair this week. :beerchug: :D

I was thinking preamp speakers would be easier in terms of storage and installation, but like I said, I've had mixed feedback from people who have used them in the past...

How come you 'blow' so many speakers? If I were you, I'd take a look at mixer/amp levels and make sure they're matched as well as buying some new speakers.

Active speakers win hands down in my book (so long as you don't overload the input with distorted fuzz at too high a level).

JAMdisco
23-05-2008, 08:11 AM
I think my signature says it all, I recently up (some would say down) graded to Class-D speakers and I'm extremely happy with them. Got 2 subs, 2 mids, 2 tops and an amp all for £650. I now have multiple set up options and IMO they sound amazing.

DJS
23-05-2008, 12:18 PM
TBH, im really suprised with my new Tapco (Mackie) 69' series speakers, as even though they were at the top of my budget, they sound great and have plenty of power available. The build quality is fantastic too, and better than a lot of speakers at the same price.
Not only do you get the same compression driver with thermal protection that they use in their priciest speaker in the 69' range, but you also get a Mackie designed vented woofer.

I would definately reccommend them.
Scott.

Tony Scott
23-05-2008, 03:33 PM
:zip: which is not my style I know! :D. Just like to say I'd agree with Tony A1DL, it's all about the sensitivity!

nigelwright7557
26-05-2008, 03:38 PM
for size and weight has to be the rcf 310a but then again we could all recomend speakers on here but its a personal thing

I agree totally.
I would get myself to a good dealer and have a listen to what they have.