PDA

View Full Version : Help required

Excalibur
27-05-2008, 06:17 PM
So what else is new? :D As some of you may have realised, I'm attempting to go digital, and an update thread on that is imminent. As of now the biggest question is how do I get all these modern records without leaving the house? I think there's a Chuck Berry remix called " My Ting A Ling" ? :confused: ;)
Seriously, how do I download MP3's and where from? What should I ensure I do? Thanks as always for your help.

Edit: I know it may not be hip or street cred, but Woolies have the top 10 chart tracks at 59p. Does anyone use them?

Andy Westcott
27-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Go digital?
Why on earth would you want to do that?

You won't be getting the regular CD box workout;
Your gear will rattle around due to too much empty space in the vehicle;
How will you amuse youself during a gig?
Hmmm...

Seriously though, watch the download bitrate. I want to raise the profile of what I'm about to say, but need to prove it first:
There are suppliers (1 that I know of) who are offering music at two bitrates - 192 & 320. Seems OK, but in fact the 320 bitrate music seems simply a re-encode of the 192 stuff, meaning the quality is no higher. A ripoff in anyone's language.

Incidentally I noticed this when preparing a spectral analysis of the tracks concerned, and both examples cut off sharply at 16 kilohertz, including the 320 bitrate track. If we are being conned like this, it needs to be stopped.

Excalibur
27-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Most sites seem to offer mainly WMA files. Can I legally convert these to MP3, and if so how?

apbroncos
27-05-2008, 10:53 PM
I am lucky have 5 children who know how to down load etc etc, they seem to use a site that they can share music files on either mp3s or wma. Will ask them what they use and if they know of any tips etc. Will try to post a reply on Wednesday.

rob1963
27-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Most sites seem to offer mainly WMA files. Can I legally convert these to MP3, and if so how?

Yes...but you will need a digital DJ licence to be able to do that!

:D :D :D

JAMdisco
28-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Yes...but you will need a digital DJ licence to be able to do that!

:D :D :D

Really? I thought the 'dub licence' was all still 'up in the air' or am I getting this mixed up with something else.:confused:

The sooner we get fixed laws on what digital DJ's need to be 'legal', the better.

Back on topic...

I use Napster for most of my downloads. They come in at 79p each although the bitrate is only 192. I think this is good enough - I certainly can't tell the difference.

Corabar Steve
28-05-2008, 07:20 AM
Really? I thought the 'dub licence' was all still 'up in the air' or am I getting this mixed up with something else.:confused:

It is, that was just Rob being Rob.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-05-2008, 08:15 AM
I am lucky have 5 children who know how to down load etc etc, they seem to use a site that they can share music files on either mp3s or wma. Will ask them what they use and if they know of any tips etc. Will try to post a reply on Wednesday.

I hope these aren't copyrighted files they are 'sharing', 'cos that would be less than legal.

djsteve10
28-05-2008, 11:08 AM

Take it these are illegal files then,
I use itunes personally myself and just re-rip as Mp3 and have done with it, Lets face it music is the most important parts of our jobs so lets keep it legitimate and not kill the industry.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Take it these are illegal files then,
I use itunes personally myself and just re-rip as Mp3 and have done with it, Lets face it music is the most important parts of our jobs so lets keep it legitament and not kill the industry.

Fair point, apart from the fact that re-ripping is currently illegal without the proposed licence! :eek: :D

djsteve10
28-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Fair point, apart from the fact that re-ripping is currently illegal without the proposed licence! :eek: :D

Your telling me, the licensing is abit up in the air at the moment,
I just find Itunes very easy to use, good selection of content and also the prices are very fair.

jfk
28-05-2008, 03:26 PM
is napster legal at 9.99mer month it should be any ideas ?

Andy Westcott
28-05-2008, 03:38 PM
I've not used them, but www.play.com are offering fully legal mp3 downloads without the DRM burden.

Perhaps a little short on selection at the moment, but potentially an indicator that a change is in the air. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I've not used them, but www.play.com are offering fully legal mp3 downloads without the DRM burden.

And a few of them are also 320 kbps too.

Excalibur
28-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Anyone want a nearly new Cortex? Stuff this for a game of soldiers, I'm putting the CD's back in the boxes as we speak! :eek: :eek: :bang:

Daryll
28-05-2008, 08:11 PM
I download most of mine from

http://www.7digital.com/

more tracks and albums everyday.

Daryll

ppentertainments
28-05-2008, 08:20 PM
I download most of mine from

http://www.7digital.com/

more tracks and albums everyday.

Daryll

Same here ! They have a lot of up to date tracks. I use it to download popular ones until the next now cd comes out. I still like to buy the cd - it feels as if I am getting something for my money:D :D :D

Excalibur
28-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the serious replies chaps, as implied on the cunning plan thread, there is a work round. I've put the WMA tracks on a flash drive, and yes, Media Monkey plays them no probs. This means that I can play these from the Laptop, so crisis averted I hope. ;) :D

Same here ! They have a lot of up to date tracks. I use it to download popular ones until the next now cd comes out. I still like to buy the cd - it feels as if I am getting something for my money:D :D :D

Me too. I want something tangible!