PDA

View Full Version : Making Folders using Cortex HDC 1000

DJ Frankie
12-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Hi Folks

I have all my MP3's pretty much ready to go on the Cortex but was wondering if anyone knows how I make folders to store certain songs i.e Party, Background Music, 70's etc etc, do I design them in the Cortex DB or in Media Monkey?
Being an Ots user this is all new to me. :rolleyes:

Frankie

Excalibur
12-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi Folks

I have all my MP3's pretty much ready to go on the Cortex but was wondering if anyone knows how I make folders to store certain songs i.e Party, Background Music, 70's etc etc, do I design them in the Cortex DB or in Media Monkey?
Being an Ots user this is all new to me. :rolleyes:

Frankie

Ready to go!? Blimey you were quick, you must have less CD's than Rob!!:D
I'm not going to answer this, as it's the point where my newly acquired knowledge runs out. Crazy, Vectis, Propeller or other Technocrats will educate us both I hope.
All I'm doing is ripping CD's into Media Monkey, this creates a library, which the Cortex can read, but you have to create a Database( in the Cortex Manager Software). this has to be done on your PC if you're using a NTFS HD.

DJ Frankie
12-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Ready to go!? Blimey you were quick, you must have less CD's than Rob!!

I was lucky really as I ripped all my music to Ots over a year ago now and the clever software that Ots is lets you rip it from Ots files to MP3's and bingo it only took me a week to convert over 7000 tracks and Cortex recognise them.....

I have been using Media Monkey to sort out my Tagging, I never realised how badly named my music was... :eek:

Excalibur
12-06-2008, 10:33 PM
I was lucky really as I ripped all my music to Ots over a year ago now and the clever software that Ots is lets you rip it from Ots files to MP3's and bingo it only took me a week to convert over 7000 tracks and Cortex recognise them.....

I have been using Media Monkey to sort out my Tagging, I never realised how badly named my music was... :eek:

Seems like I've been ripping forever! ;) :D When I get the chance, I'll do a little reorganising, and renaming (hopefully) I'm hoping for a bit of guidance in that area.

mike8863
16-06-2008, 07:17 PM
so if i have downloaded some cd's to it unes for my i pod, does this mean the cortex won't recognise these, because they weren't done through media monkey or does the cortex recognise i tunes libraries??
Mike

Excalibur
16-06-2008, 07:51 PM
so if i have downloaded some cd's to it unes for my i pod, does this mean the cortex won't recognise these, because they weren't done through media monkey or does the cortex recognise i tunes libraries??
Mike

Don't quote me, but as long as they're MP3's you should be OK.

Read page 21 of the Cortex manual. It says you can use Itunes playlists.

Taken from same:

iPodPlaylist Support
Although there is no facility to create playlists on the HDC-1000 unit, you
can load iPod playlists that are created using iTunes® .
Once a playlist has been constructed using iTunes®, it can be loaded from
the main Search Options screen.
>Search by Genres
S e a r c h b y Albums
S e a r c h b y St r i n g
> i P o d P l a y l i s ts
Fig 3.2 - iPod Playlist option from the Search Menu

mike8863
16-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Don't quote me, but as long as they're MP3's you should be OK.

Read page 21 of the Cortex manual. It says you can use Itunes playlists.

Taken from same:

iPodPlaylist Support
Although there is no facility to create playlists on the HDC-1000 unit, you
can load iPod playlists that are created using iTunes® .
Once a playlist has been constructed using iTunes®, it can be loaded from
the main Search Options screen.
>Search by Genres
S e a r c h b y Albums
S e a r c h b y St r i n g
> i P o d P l a y l i s ts
Fig 3.2 - iPod Playlist option from the Search Menu

thats great thhanks, i haven't taken delivery of said cortex yet, away to turkey for a fortnight on saturday, then back to it and start in ernest to rip all my cd's. get ready for a pm on my return........:beer1: :beer1:

Excalibur
16-06-2008, 09:18 PM
thats great thhanks, i haven't taken delivery of said cortex yet, away to turkey for a fortnight on saturday, then back to it and start in ernest to rip all my cd's. get ready for a pm on my return........:beer1: :beer1:

Two points Mike. First, you can read the book already here, so you'll have a headstart.
http://www.cortex-pro.com/hdc_1000.php?t=4

Brochure
http://www.cortex-pro.com/hdc_1000.php?t=5

Second, forget Turkey, use the two weeks profitably, and START RIPPING NOW! ;) :D :D :D

mike8863
17-06-2008, 10:38 AM
You're a star thanks for the info, it'll give me something to read on the beach.......!!!!

DJ INDIE
15-09-2008, 11:02 PM
ive just received my cortex and like frankie am wondering if there is any way of grouping certain songs together in user made files - ie background - party - etc - but of my choice, not by tagged info, has anyone any ideas if this can be done?

i know you cant create playlists - by this i assume playlists are from all genres/artists etc into lots of different sets (unless you have an ipod, which i dont) but being able to group the files manually (and not in a playlist - just easier to separate from the others) would help a lot, keeping all my favourites in their relative folders etc.

also, say for background music etc what do people find is the best settings to avoid 'dead air' or large gaps in between songs when on continuous play - is there an easy (lazy!) way, or do you have to fade/mix in every track?

any help greatly received.

PS - mightily impressed with it so far - thanks for the buying advice in the other threads.

DJ Frankie
16-09-2008, 06:47 AM
DJ Indie

It is recomended that you have no more than 1000 tracks in one folder at any time.
I have basically made a folder for each album onto my external drive which seems to be fine with the Cortex. Once you have ripped your files, go into the Cortex Database software and design your own files i.e Party, 70's etc.
Have a look at the Cortex forum and you tube, there are plenty of help files out there.

Dragonfly
16-09-2008, 08:41 AM
when i used a hdc 1000 i created playlists for background music , themes nights etc using cortex manager dead easy to do.

CRAZY K
16-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Ready to go!? Blimey you were quick, you must have less CD's than Rob!!:D
I'm not going to answer this, as it's the point where my newly acquired knowledge runs out. Crazy, Vectis, Propeller or other Technocrats will educate us both I hope.
All I'm doing is ripping CD's into Media Monkey, this creates a library, which the Cortex can read, but you have to create a Database( in the Cortex Manager Software). this has to be done on your PC if you're using a NTFS HD.

Sadly I cant give advice.

I dont have folders at all--just work off client playlists and a some paper lists I always carry with all time floorfillers on them.

My background music for Weddings (not a lot of that) is still on faithful old Mini disc---if it aint broke etc.

Im sure the links on this thread will be enough to set you up.

CRAZY K

Creature
16-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Here you go - You will need a keyboard for the cortex.

Download the Cortez Manager from http://www.cortex-pro.com/hdc_1000.php?t=3

and install it to your pc or laptop (which ever you connect your external harddrive to.

Open up the cortex manager and click on create database
(follow the instructions)

Whern the database in completed in the left window
you will see a small drive icon (were your mp3s are)

click on ple plus icon and then right click once on the playlist link and select add playlist.

Right click once the new link and select rename

Clict click on the new playlist link once

on the right window select your harddrive were files are and left click once (and hold) then drag the icon to the center window.

you may have to click the mouse buttons several times for it to start.

It will then add all your mp3s into the playlist.

When you fire up the cortex do not selct the playlist just type in the artist or song title - you should find it is almost instant.

if you have over 10.000 mps3 you may want to split them up into artists this makes it quicker and easier.

i have renamed the titles all my mp3s to :-

10cc - Dreadlock Holiday 1978

this then saves time and searches - if ya fire accross ya email will email ya a song accross so you can see how its done.

you can split the playlists down into years.generes ar what ever you want.

hope it helps

DJ INDIE
16-09-2008, 11:51 PM
cheers fellas, I'll get to work on the cortex this week and hopefully sort.

much appreciated.