PDA

View Full Version : Surprising Wedding

theoloyla
29-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Did a Wedding reception on Friday at one of my regular venues where the hotel had booked me and despite various attempts I had had no contact with the bride and groom. We arrived and set up. The party arrived. The groom was .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........in a wheelchair! :eek: OMG! Various other members of the audience appeared to be deaf!:eek: :confused:
I introduced myself to the couple. It transpired that the groom, who was in his early 50's, had a massive stroke a couple of years ago. They had just returned from Las Vegas where Elvis had married them. Not surprisingly they elected not to do a first dance but said they wanted an informal evening. The groom wrote out a list of about 30 songs which he liked. About half were slowies and several were a bit obscure or unusual but I managed to find a few that I could play. There were quite a few young children and they were mostly on the floor being danced with by adults. Eventually, completely unannounced the groom was wheeled to the floor and with the help of a walking stick and his bride managed to stagger into a dance. I cut short the song I was playing and got a round of applause for them and played "From This Moment" as he had saod his favourite artiste was Shania.
It definately brought a lump to the throat and was a very emotional moment. Inevitably I also played lots of Elvis! All in all the evening went well although my first impression had been WTF do I do with this lot?:confused: :eek: Just goes to show you how good and versatile we are and how lucky we are.

Kernow
29-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Well done Theo :thumbs_up:
It's never easy when the unexpected turns up and I salute your professionalism in making the evening a sucess

(Just as well you cued the right Shania track.....don't think 'That Don't Impress Me Much" would have gone down too well ?) ;)

theoloyla
29-06-2008, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE=Kernow;249453

(Just as well you cued the right Shania track.....don't think 'That Don't Impress Me Much" would have gone down too well ?) ;)[/QUOTE]

It did later!:rolleyes:

Kernow
29-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Exactly my point......timing is crucial !!:)

Again well done :beer1:

theoloyla
29-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Exactly my point......timing is crucial !!:)

Again well done :beer1:

Ha ha ha! :) I'm having a couple of dry martini and vodkas at this minute!:beer1: (stirred not shaken)

DazzyD
29-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Just goes to show you how good and versatile we are and how lucky we are.

Just goes to show how good you are, Theo!

I think a few DJs would have panicked in that situation. Some would have even kept on playing dance!

Well done, Good Sir!

theoloyla
29-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Just goes to show how good you are, Theo!

I think a few DJs would have panicked in that situation. Some would have even kept on playing dance!

Well done, Good Sir!
I dont know about that. I was certainly panicking. I thought why didnt the hotel who booked me (who I have an excellent relationship with) let me know the groom was wheelchair bound. I did nip outside for a fag and a think when I discovered!

nigelwright7557
29-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Did a Wedding reception on Friday at one of my regular venues where the hotel had booked me and despite various attempts I had had no contact with the bride and groom. We arrived and set up. The party arrived. The groom was .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........in a wheelchair! :eek: OMG! Various other members of the audience appeared to be deaf!:eek: :confused:
I introduced myself to the couple. It transpired that the groom, who was in his early 50's, had a massive stroke a couple of years ago. They had just returned from Las Vegas where Elvis had married them. Not surprisingly they elected not to do a first dance but said they wanted an informal evening. The groom wrote out a list of about 30 songs which he liked. About half were slowies and several were a bit obscure or unusual but I managed to find a few that I could play. There were quite a few young children and they were mostly on the floor being danced with by adults. Eventually, completely unannounced the groom was wheeled to the floor and with the help of a walking stick and his bride managed to stagger into a dance. I cut short the song I was playing and got a round of applause for them and played "From This Moment" as he had saod his favourite artiste was Shania.
It definately brought a lump to the throat and was a very emotional moment. Inevitably I also played lots of Elvis! All in all the evening went well although my first impression had been WTF do I do with this lot?:confused: :eek: Just goes to show you how good and versatile we are and how lucky we are.

I think the outcome of most discos is down to the audience.

Get a terrible crowd and no one will dance or ask for requests.

Get a good crowd and its a full on party all night which of course is what it is meant to be.

I find kids tend to make or break most discos.
I had one disco where the kids were trying there best to wreck my gear and I spent half the night telling them to leave the equipment alone which of course just made them do it all the more. A total switch off and a plea to the parents made no difference !

Last night I did a 60th birthday party and all the kids were on the dance floor just dancing most of the night. The kids were really well behaved.
The audience kept asking for requests and I played 99% of what was asked for. It was great, what being a DJ is all about.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-06-2008, 08:49 PM

Maybe the DJ might have something to do with it too. ;)

nigelwright7557
29-06-2008, 08:53 PM

I have been DJing 32 years so know what usually gets people up and dancing.

But I still have good and bad nights.
So for me its "usually" down to the crowd.

You do get good and bad audiences..........

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-06-2008, 08:56 PM
I have been DJing 32 years so know what usually gets people up and dancing.

But I still have good and bad nights.
So for me its "usually" down to the crowd.

You do get good and bad audiences..........

Yes, but to say that it's just down to the audience is not true.

Excalibur
29-06-2008, 09:02 PM
The audience kept asking for requests and I played 99% of what was asked for. It was great, what being a DJ is all about.

In an uncharacteristically serious post, Nigel and Darren are actually both right. ( And wrong, if you like! )
A good crowd do all the work for you, and give you the greatest satisfaction possible. A difficult one can often make you wonder if the game's worth it. :(
As Darren says though, there are DJ's prepared to do their utmost to entertain an audience by hook or by crook. I heard recently of one DJ who got up alongside the singer who was unsure of the words to a song requested of him, and did a storming rendition of "Mack the Knife". :eek: :D

Edit: I've got to start typing faster!! :bang:

nigelwright7557
29-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Yes, but to say that it's just down to the audience is not true.

I did say "usually"
And I was talking about my circumstances not a novice DJ's.

I am pretty sure a poor DJ could ruin any night !

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-06-2008, 09:19 PM

Agreed.:)

I heard recently of one DJ who got up alongside the singer who was unsure of the words to a song requested of him, and did a storming rendition of "Mack the Knife". :eek: :D

I'm not sure I used the word 'storming' to you.:p

Excalibur
29-06-2008, 09:21 PM
I did say "usually"
And I was talking about my circumstances not a novice DJ's.

Actually : " I think the outcome of most discos is down to the audience" was your exact phrase, but that's close enough for Rock'n'Roll. ;) :D :D :D

Oh yes I can!! :D :D :D :D

Edit.

I'm not sure I used the word 'storming' to you.:p

I was bigging you up! ( As they apparently say! ) :D :D :D :D