PDA

View Full Version : Things people say at gigs

DK Karaoke
11-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Hi All,

Do you get people making funny statements or saying something funny at your gigs?

I had one a little while ago, it was a birthday party disco karaoke, and the client was up singing, who seemed to be a good singer at first hearing. However, when she had finished, she came over and commented 'Your backing track was out of tune':what:

I couldn't stop laughing about it afterwards, it never occurred to them that it was them who was out of tune.

Another one, was just recently, we did this karaoke for a big American firm, and the big wig was singing, who was good, after they realised the mic was for singing :)

They were holding the mic about 10 foot away from their mouth (exaggeration I know, but nearly), so they came over and said your Mic's not working. I said to them, 'Try putting the Mic to your mouth' Everyone fell around the place laughing, not at what I said but at the timing and the fact that the person I said it to must have been the boss, obviously whom they didn't like.

UltraBeat Entertainment
11-07-2008, 01:40 PM
I always love the "Nobody going to dance to this cr*p, play this..." at which point they turn around, see a full dance floor, go red in the cheeks and disappear with their tail between their legs.:D :D :D

Not to do with karaoke but still funny:)

ppentertainments
11-07-2008, 11:52 PM
"your mics not working"
"i know, because i have turned it off until you stop hitting the top"

"can you play that neil diamond (or other artist) one that i always sing"

"have you got the karaoke with you" - when having only booked a DISCO

"i don't like singing with a microphone"

"i don't want people to look at me when singing"

" that was the wrong version"

Paul James Promotions
12-07-2008, 12:09 PM
There is another (good) topic on this subject, but my favourite and worth another mention...

"Excuse me mate, how much is it to have a go?"

dmckaraoke
12-07-2008, 03:56 PM
There is another (good) topic on this subject, but my favourite and worth another mention...

Jamie Ive heard that one before too.

Question was there a day you used have to pay to get on the Karaoke...

DJmissbehaving
13-07-2008, 12:38 AM
I always love the "Nobody going to dance to this cr*p, play this..." at which point they turn around, see a full dance floor, go red in the cheeks and disappear with their tail between their legs.:D :D :D

Yes i have had that similar line except mine went....." Can you play something decent"
I replied," What do you want me to play??"
They reply," I dont know anything"......

leighinstoke
13-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Happened to me on Friday as I'd just reached the end of a really good Motown and Northern Soul set.....girl stood in front of me and said "Can you play something modern?", as the opening bars of Macarena (a cheesey request!) started. She then screamed and vanished into the dancing lines.

Funny thing was, I'd played modern all night and only broke away into Motown and Northern on request of the clients as the party was for their son's graduation who asked for modern.....pretty....much.....all....night.

Oh well.

Leigh....

Ace DJ
13-07-2008, 03:12 PM
And why is it they always come up and start talking when it is in the last few seconds of a track and your waiting to press play into the next song and they demand to talk to you. You know the one that goes diddy dum diddy dum it was in the charts a few years ago by er!!!! or was it er!!!! Your crap if you don't know that one
Ace

DK Karaoke
14-07-2008, 09:31 PM

Ya, I've had something similar. Had people offer to pay me £10.00 just to get on next. I said no, don't take bribes, but I put them on anyway.

DK Karaoke
14-07-2008, 09:33 PM
And why is it they always come up and start talking when it is in the last few seconds of a track and your waiting to press play into the next song and they demand to talk to you. You know the one that goes diddy dum diddy dum it was in the charts a few years ago by er!!!! or was it er!!!! Your crap if you don't know that one
Ace

Had this one also. Very annoying, when they keep bugging you especially when you have a big Que to get through.

DK Karaoke
14-07-2008, 09:40 PM

Had something similar, it was an 18th Disco, and we were playing the latest dance tracks for the time as requested in advance by the client, with requests slotted in as requested. The brother of the birthday girl, kept coming over, saying, can you play something to 'dance to' :eek: its an 18th.

He was really getting on my T'''''''s, :mad: so in the end, I said to him, if you don't go away and let me do my job, I am shutting down, and I mean 'Now'. He went away, and about 3/4 hour later, he came up to me and said "its really cooking this Disco, great". :cool: I said good, now leave me alone, or else.

UltraBeat Entertainment
15-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Had something similar, it was an 18th Disco, and we were playing the latest dance tracks for the time as requested in advance by the client, with requests slotted in as requested. The brother of the birthday girl, kept coming over, saying, can you play something to 'dance to' :eek: its an 18th.

He was really getting on my T'''''''s, :mad: so in the end, I said to him, if you don't go away and let me do my job, I am shutting down, and I mean 'Now'. He went away, and about 3/4 hour later, he came up to me and said "its really cooking this Disco, great". :cool: I said good, now leave me alone, or else.

Good to see you've got patience with the clients and guests:D :D :D

KaraokeDJ
16-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Not sure if the original question about things people say was refering to Karaoke or DIsco - obviously we all have silly remarks at discos - usually 'guests from hell' (we all see them now and then... However, I'm gonna sway back in the karaoke direction...

Had a couple come in to the venue I do a couple of nights a week and there was no doubt they could both sing. He commented after a couple of lines - 'sounds a bit dry' - so I acted dumb, "what do you mean?" - 'needs more reverd' he said, "huh? it's been the same all night and it's sounded fine - sorry mate but I'm not a sound engineer, I'm a DJ" was my response. It was obvious they knew how to and could sing, very well.

Next time he got up to sing, I had just sang. He looked at me and asked if his mic could be as loud as mine - I said "they're all set at the same level".

I do find the ones who clearly "can" sing are the worst. And NO I will not stand there tweaking the sound for every singer. Karaoke is for fun!!!

I often hear the "that's not the right version" and "it's going too fast" (usually cos they missed the start and try catching up with the lyrics).

But, gott be the most annoying: we all hand out books with thousands of songs in, yet people insist on coming up and saying "have you got..."