PDA

View Full Version : Neutrik Speakon embarrassment...

PropellerHeadCase
24-07-2008, 10:40 AM
OK, so, for some reason, leads confuse me, I think in part because several times people who should know better have confused male/female when it comes to XLRs (I always thought the 3-pin plug was the female because of the sheeth that takes the (male) plug... still don't know), and I've only recently had to know my 2-pole from my 4-pole speakons, problem is, I don't...

Is NL4 always 4-pole, or does it depend on how it's been wired? More importantly will a cable that's wired as 4-pole still work as 2-pole? What happens when an amp output is 4-pole but a speaker input is 2-pole?

CRAZY K
24-07-2008, 10:56 AM
OK, so, for some reason, leads confuse me, I think in part because several times people who should know better have confused male/female when it comes to XLRs (I always thought the 3-pin plug was the female because of the sheeth that takes the (male) plug... still don't know), and I've only recently had to know my 2-pole from my 4-pole speakons, problem is, I don't...

Is NL4 always 4-pole, or does it depend on how it's been wired? More importantly will a cable that's wired as 4-pole still work as 2-pole? What happens when an amp output is 4-pole but a speaker input is 2-pole?

I dont know the answer Al, but as you pride yourself on correct English---and thats something to admire---I do know SHEATH is spelt like this

heres some fun--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheath

CRAZY K

A1DL
24-07-2008, 10:59 AM

NL4 is a four pole connector, it can be used with 2-core cable (usually wired to 1+/1-)

If the output on an amplifier is sending a signal to 1+ and 2+, and the speaker is only wired to 1+/1-, you will only get part of the bi-amped signal reproduced.

PropellerHeadCase
24-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Yep, that's sbout what I thought, problem is not all hardware is entirely clear on which it is. Generally 4-pole is for speakers that have a through, yes?

Thanks, Alan, fingers-faster-than-brain-itis.

A1DL
24-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Generally 4-pole is for speakers that have a through, yes?

NL4 can be used for a through, however its' most common use is to connect bi-amped boxes.

You may also from time to time come across an NL8 connector - it looks like an NL4 only larger, for use with 8-core cable, i.e. four separate feeds.

The advantage of these is the ability to run a single cable to your stacks, also used on mid-highs when running tri-amped.

nigelwright7557
04-08-2008, 09:11 PM

There might be some info at:
http://www.neutrik.com

I make up my own cables so I can make my own rules up for which pin does what. I havent got past NL2 yet !

JAMdisco
06-08-2008, 07:06 AM
I make up my own cables so I can make my own rules up for which pin does what. I havent got past NL2 yet !

But surely wouldn't it be better to use the standard wiring configuration (UK of course) :)

nigelwright7557
06-08-2008, 08:18 AM
But surely wouldn't it be better to use the standard wiring configuration (UK of course) :)

Of course, if you can find the correct wiring config.

JAMdisco
06-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Of course, if you can find the correct wiring config.

There's loads of wiring configs on the net - just Google them and ye shall find. :D