PDA

View Full Version : Gig logs?

One Vision
09-08-2008, 01:06 PM
How about a specific forum/category for members gig logs?
Have seen quite a few on you tube and are really fascinating to watch and read.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-08-2008, 01:11 PM
How about a specific forum/category for members gig logs?
Have seen quite a few on you tube and are really fascinating to watch and read.

Explain what you mean in a bit more detail please.

One Vision
09-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Well like a bit of a diary of the gig. some do like a video diary of each gig.
Ill see if I can find a good example

Have a nosy at this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB_FDlYKEME

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Well like a bit of a diary of the gig. some do like a video diary of each gig.
Ill see if I can find a good example

I see. I'm not sure why you'd want a separate bit of the forum for this though?

BTW, please don't use Ellaskins as an example...

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Too late...

One Vision
09-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Ellaskins lol yes he is a character.
I spose by having its own area it means you dont have to sift through un-related content to view the gig logs, same principle as having an area just for members photos etc.

Practice and enjoy, he he

This is quite a good one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oog9HvGB33o&NR=1

501damian501
09-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Ellaskins is he crazy lmao

DazzyD
10-08-2008, 01:11 PM
If M&Ms is his best friend then he should get out more! :D :D :D

DJWilson
10-08-2008, 01:31 PM
I just watched the latest gig log from Brain in America it was funny to watch but at the time of recording I bet he didnt think the same, a few people let him down and he was all in a rush doing about 3 gigs I think, he was really :Censored: off.

Corabar Steve
10-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Am I the only one who thinks they are a totally pointless exercise, done by people who think they're more important than they really are?

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Am I the only one who thinks they are a totally pointless exercise, done by people who think they're more important than they really are?

No, you're not the only one.

CRAZY K
10-08-2008, 03:37 PM

Not only that--what a complete BORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who wants to waste hours listening to DJs drone on about their gigs
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx

Thats heavy snoring!

CRAZY K

Corabar Steve
10-08-2008, 03:48 PM
I thought snoring was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

soundtracker
10-08-2008, 03:50 PM
totally agree Snoresville city!

CRAZY K
10-08-2008, 04:37 PM
I thought snoring was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You havent heard me snoring:eek:

CRAZY K

One Vision
10-08-2008, 04:45 PM
I can see were your coming from fellas, they would be better done more aimed towards the actual gig than the presenting DJ.
It does give an insight to other DJs gigs if done right

Cj_The_Dj
13-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Ellaskins is he crazy lmao

good old mr machinc

Corabar Steve
14-08-2008, 07:41 AM
I've thought about this for a while & looked at some of them over the last few days. I've come to the conclusion that most of them are posted by people trying to look big in front of the young & impressionable

flatliners
15-08-2008, 11:01 AM
why dont some of you people ellaskins he does a lot of videos that give people alot of help and he has a colum in dj mag and lighting and sound manufactures give him stuff to test before it is realised he seems like a nice chap and bet hes a great dj too

One Vision
15-08-2008, 02:03 PM
I personally like watching them, beats the dribble on TV.
Am sure lots of others like them too.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Yeah, there's nothing I like more than getting in from a gig and then watching someone elses....

One Vision
15-08-2008, 04:57 PM
I think your completely missing the point of these vids??
Its about keeping an open mind and seeing how other people do things, who knows you may learn something?

You could say the same about forums?

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Its about keeping an open mind and seeing how other people do things, who knows you may learn something?

Missing the point?

Yes, that's completely correct. I am a narrowminded person who doesn't want to learn anything or share ideas. That's why I run this forum.

Let me put it this way.

I do not want to sit watching some muppet describing his job to me for 10 minutes in great detail.

I speak to people on the phone and in real life. I meet with people and go to shows as well as having conversations with my own DJs. I have 25 years experience of this.

I am not interested in gig logs. If I was, then I'd go out with other DJs, not sit watching them on a video. I learn everyday. In fat with what I learned, I doubled my turnover in 2 years and I can assure you I didn't do that by watching someone's gig log.

Get my point now?

One Vision
15-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Whatever Darren, like I said you could say exactly the same about forums.
Why sit around on the PC for hours when you can be out there learning in the real world, the point is people that may not have the same experience as you have, may just learn a thing or two, if not then just enjoy the fun of it.
I was a joiner for over 15 years but didn't stop me enjoying watching the New Yankee workshop on sky.

I give up

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-08-2008, 05:47 PM
the point is people that may not have the same experience as you have

And?

What has that got to do with my opinion on why I don't like them?

If people want to watch them, and they think they can learn something, then fine. It is my opinion that they are a waste of time for me and I don't want to sit watching someone elses gig.

One Vision
15-08-2008, 06:06 PM
It was purely a suggestion to have the feature so members could post on the forum in a specific place, the last time I looked this was the "Forum Suggestions" area.
You dont want it on the forum, thats fine but why the hell do I keep having to go through arrogant, attacking posts all the time?
All I have done is made a suggestion for a new forum.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-08-2008, 06:24 PM
You dont want it on the forum, thats fine but why the hell do I keep having to go through arrogant, attacking posts all the time?

Where am I attacking you or being arrogant? I am allowed my opinion as everyone else is.

Corabar Steve
16-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Where am I attacking you or being arrogant? I am allowed my opinion as everyone else is.

I have to agree, all I've seen have been differences in opinion. Nothing more nothing less. As is the nature of a forum, people have differing viewpoints.

What I have noticed on numerous occasions is that (not singling anyone out) certain members seem to think that because somebody is an owner, a moderator, or an admin on this site, that they shouldn't have any views on the content of the threads. Just because we work here doesn't mean we can't voice our opinions.

One Vision
16-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I don't know how your coming to that conclusion on this thread Steve.
I don't mind who is giving the advise, opinions and even criticism as long as its constructive and not a forced opinion.

Although you have posted this as (not singling anyone out) the fact you have posted it on this thread indicates your pointing the finger at me, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Corabar Steve
16-08-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't know how your coming to that conclusion on this thread Steve..Simple, I re-read the thread, & as stated, I saw nothing more than an exchange of differing viewpoints.

Although you have posted this as (not singling anyone out) the fact you have posted it on this thread indicates your pointing the finger at me, which couldn't be further from the truth.

That is the precise reason that I did post
not singling anyone out, purely because it was posting on this thread. However there was a reason for that, I was replying to Darren's post in this thread & I hadn't seen the thread that is a sticky in "Forum Rules"

I could quite easily have posted this
What I have noticed on numerous occasions is that (not singling anyone out) certain members seem to think that because somebody is an owner, a moderator, or an admin on this site, that they shouldn't have any views on the content of the threads. Just because we work here doesn't mean we can't voice our opinions. in a number of threads in direct response to the posters who seem to be of that opinion. However that would have been singling out the poster on the thread concerned. I was worried that it would look like I was singling you out hence
not singling anyone outApologies if I have hurt your feelings, it was unintentional.

One Vision
16-08-2008, 04:24 PM
That's not a problem Steve, Like I have said it doesn't matter who is the poster to me, as long as constructive and not forced, all opinions I personaly accept.
I know what your saying though does happen as I have seen it were its a case of; how can you be right when I am right kind of Approach.
I like to think I don't come across like that in posts as I don't intend to be in any shape or form, as I don't like to receive it my self.
Unfortunately forums are NOT the best place to express feelings/opinions on something as we post without expression so can very easily be taken completely out of context to how its actually intended.

But just going to the reason for this thread I just thought it may have been of interest to some members, so I purely put a bit of a case together in why I thought it may be an idea for a new forum area, but hey if its not an ideal idea that's fine I have no problem with that, not all suggestions are ideal are even wanted.

DJMaxG
14-04-2009, 08:07 AM
It was purely a suggestion to have the feature so members could post on the forum in a specific place, the last time I looked this was the "Forum Suggestions" area.
All I have done is made a suggestion for a new forum.

I agree with new ideas totally, I personally enjoy watching the Giglogs.

Missing the point?

Yes, that's completely correct. I am a narrowminded person who doesn't want to learn anything or share ideas. That's why I run this forum.

Let me put it this way.

I do not want to sit watching some muppet describing his job to me for 10 minutes in great detail.

I speak to people on the phone and in real life. I meet with people and go to shows as well as having conversations with my own DJs. I have 25 years experience of this.

I am not interested in gig logs. If I was, then I'd go out with other DJs, not sit watching them on a video. I learn everyday. In fat with what I learned, I doubled my turnover in 2 years and I can assure you I didn't do that by watching someone's gig log.

Get my point now?

That Opinion is fine, however Giglogs are filmed by real people.

That's not a problem Steve, Like I have said it doesn't matter who is the poster to me, as long as constructive and not forced, all opinions I personaly accept.
I know what your saying though does happen as I have seen it were its a case of; how can you be right when I am right kind of Approach.
I like to think I don't come across like that in posts as I don't intend to be in any shape or form, as I don't like to receive it my self.
Unfortunately forums are NOT the best place to express feelings/opinions on something as we post without expression so can very easily be taken completely out of context to how its actually intended.

But just going to the reason for this thread I just thought it may have been of interest to some members, so I purely put a bit of a case together in why I thought it may be an idea for a new forum area, but hey if its not an ideal idea that's fine I have no problem with that, not all suggestions are ideal are even wanted.

You get my vote onevision

CRAZY K
14-04-2009, 08:34 AM
I agree with new ideas totally, I personally enjoy watching the Giglogs.

That Opinion is fine, however Giglogs are filmed by real people.

You get my vote onevision

The only aspect of any interest would be details of the actual venue---

i.e. good, bad, sound limiters, access, stairs etc.which wont appear on a vid.

You can post any CURRENT gig details on good gig/bad gig which exists already.

CRAZY K

visualdjmax
14-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Right then another heated discussion! Ellaskins does make me laugh and fairplay to him. He has now got quite a few major DJ suppliers going to him to make videos on there products. He has come from no where and no has a massive following!!! He is mad but that's what makes him interesting as he does not take himself too seriously and says himself that he doesn't have all of the answers. I have met him a couple of times and worked with him and he is a nutter. In my opinion GIG Logs work for a number of reasons. If done correctly they are cool for sending to clients. Especially in the world of video clients really don't understand what I do so the video supports that. The gig logs and sharing gig logs works in the exactly same way as forums as they share opinions and ways of doing things albeit in some cases not the right way by again just an opinion.

It's not a big deal it's just another thread chaps and not the end of the world.

Bearing that in mind have a look at my gig logs. I think that I might of set the cat amongst the pigeons now. I can just see the comments!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love MAX xx

YouTube - 15/01/2009 Rivermead Centre, Reading

YouTube - Masked Ball 30/01/2009 Dunboyne Castle, Dublin

Mark Wild
14-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Right then another heated discussion! Ellaskins does make me laugh and fairplay to him. He has now got quite a few major DJ suppliers going to him to make videos on there products. He has come from no where and no has a massive following!!! He is mad but that's what makes him interesting as he does not take himself too seriously and says himself that he doesn't have all of the answers. I have met him a couple of times and worked with him and he is a nutter. In my opinion GIG Logs work for a number of reasons. If done correctly they are cool for sending to clients. Especially in the world of video clients really don't understand what I do so the video supports that. The gig logs and sharing gig logs works in the exactly same way as forums as they share opinions and ways of doing things albeit in some cases not the right way by again just an opinion.

It's not a big deal it's just another thread chaps and not the end of the world.

Bearing that in mind have a look at my gig logs. I think that I might of set the cat amongst the pigeons now. I can just see the comments!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love MAX xx

YouTube - 15/01/2009 Rivermead Centre, Reading (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIGHQPbC6rk)

YouTube - Masked Ball 30/01/2009 Dunboyne Castle, Dublin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrcD_DQdlko)

Of course you are of this opinion Max as gig logs for the most part are videos and you have a video camera glued to your forehead. I see threads and I can see you posting a video on it from a mile off. I've seen a few gig logs of that bald bloke who wears fingerless gloves while he's DJ'ing and a few of yours, but see no need for there to be a specific area on the forum for them. ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-04-2009, 10:09 AM
The thing is Max, your gig logs are bound to be more interesting as they are big and involve a lot of gear and a lot of rigging. The average gig log involves some bloke, a transit, a pair of speakers and a couple of led lights. Nothing interesting involved in that....

visualdjmax
14-04-2009, 10:14 AM
The thing is Max, your gig logs are bound to be more interesting as they are big and involve a lot of gear and a lot of rigging. The average gig log involves some bloke, a transit, a pair of speakers and a couple of led lights. Nothing interesting involved in that....

Fairplay Darren, and quite reserved mate, may I say!!!

visualdjmax
14-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Of course you are of this opinion Max as gig logs for the most part are videos and you have a video camera glued to your forehead. I see threads and I can see you posting a video on it from a mile off. I've seen a few gig logs of that bald bloke who wears fingerless gloves while he's DJ'ing and a few of yours, but see no need for there to be a specific area on the forum for them. ;)

Not really on my forehead, mainly on a tripod. Fingerless gloves are for market traders! Love the posting a video from a mile off comment. Is it that obvious?

Cheers MAX

Mark Wild
14-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Love the posting a video from a mile off comment. Is it that obvious?

Cheers MAX

Just playing mate, it's not that obvious. I have to agree with Daz though, the bloke in the fingerless gloves doing a gig log and you doing a gig log are vastly different. They don't call you Visual Max for nothing huh ! lol :beer1:

visualdjmax
14-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Just playing mate, it's not that obvious. I have to agree with Daz though, the bloke in the fingerless gloves doing a gig log and you doing a gig log are vastly different. They don't call you Visual Max for nothing huh ! lol :beer1:

Cheers mate no offence taken! MAX

DJMaxG
16-05-2009, 10:43 PM

They are the people who are posting the videos, If you did the same, you would not think or consider them to be more important.

why dont some of you people ellaskins he does a lot of videos that give people alot of help and he has a colum in dj mag and lighting and sound manufactures give him stuff to test before it is realised he seems like a nice chap and bet hes a great dj too

Yeah, there's nothing I like more than getting in from a gig and then watching someone elses....

That's what it is all about, even if you don't like it, there are some great tips in the videos. Ellaskins doesn't just do Giglogs. Quite a lot of the demonstration videos are done by him, instead of the manafactures themselves.

There are some useful tips there.

There is much more content in a video than forums, it is more realistic. But Forum posts will sometimes include more detail, and you don't have to worry about filming without permission etc.

The only aspect of any interest would be details of the actual venue---

i.e. good, bad, sound limiters, access, stairs etc.which wont appear on a vid.

You can post any CURRENT gig details on good gig/bad gig which exists already.

CRAZY K

It is useful to keep a 'Venue Database' with notes included of sound limiters, stairs etc. That way, it saves thinking hmm... what rig did I use last time.

There is a lot included in the videos, different DJs play different songs, and in a different order. There are different products, different ways to setup, and you get the chance to see different gear altogether.

By Having a seperate section for 'Giglogs', It would be encouraging more DJs to Post them. But with the main administrators disagreeing with the whole concept, not sure it will happen.

visualdjmax
16-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Isn't the Gallery section a Gig Logs section but with a different name???????

DJMaxG
16-05-2009, 11:18 PM

I've always thought it was for Photos

JDB Entertainment
17-05-2009, 01:39 AM
In my opinion I am looking to do a gig log to maybe show customers what goes into a "gig" i.e. how much effort from start to finish and to show them what an "example" night is like.

Although I do not think the customer would want to watch it or for a start would be interested in it.

But I may trial it.

As for the gallery, why not split it into 2 seperate sections?!

VIDEOS

PHOTOS

Easy solution in my eyes.

James

Shaun
17-05-2009, 02:48 AM

I've always thought it was for Photos

The gallery is for photos or videos.

Personally, I'm not a fan of gig logs, but if anyone wants to post their own ones, feel free to do so in the gallery section.

Corabar Steve
17-05-2009, 11:41 AM
They are the people who are posting the videos, If you did the same, you would not think or consider them to be more important.No, not at all. I don't need to post videos of my gigs on youtube. I know how good they are by the amount of repeat customers & word of mouth bookings we get.

People who post gig logs seem by & large to be self important, "look at me" types with nothing better to do in their sad little lives (There are exceptions to the rule as with most things)

You notice that there are never any logs of bad gigs. As anyone that has been DJing for any real amount of time knows, everyone is prone to a bad gig once in a while. If they posted a bad gig log once in a while, I might have some respect for them. As it is, I have none. Show offs & that's all IMHO.

There is much more content in a video than forums, it is more realistic. Don't talk rubbish, all you get with most of them is look at this, this is what I've got, aren't I fantastic. Videos can't ask & answer questions their only function on a forum is really to show off the kit etc.
But Forum posts will sometimes include more detail, Of course they will, forums are all about communication. Videos on the other hand are largely for show.

By Having a seperate section for 'Giglogs', It would be encouraging more DJs to Post them. But with the main administrators disagreeing with the whole concept, not sure it will happen.Probably not, when as Shaun says, the Gallery is for photos & videos

OllieJames
17-05-2009, 11:47 AM
You notice that there are never any logs of bad gigs. As anyone that has been DJing for any real amount of time knows, everyone is prone to a bad gig once in a while. If they posted a bad gig log once in a while, I might have some respect for them.

I've seen a couple of gig logs of bad gigs from a couple of people on youtube, albeit a while ago. One was from A1PartyDJs. Anyway, sometimes i watch them, sometimes i don't. I was thinking of doing one to see how it turns out, after all, i may aswell put the camera and software to good use.

DJMaxG
17-05-2009, 03:38 PM
You notice that there are never any logs of bad gigs. As anyone that has been DJing for any real amount of time knows, everyone is prone to a bad gig once in a while. If they posted a bad gig log once in a while, I might have some respect for them.

If you take a look at 'Ellaskins', 'A1PartyDJs', and a few others, you will find a bad gig somewhere. It is usually spoken about at the end, during driving back home in the van or whatever.

ScottThompson
17-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Just practice and enjoy :)

OllieJames
17-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Just practice and enjoy :)

:Laugh:

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-05-2009, 05:44 PM
I just don't think that the industry is fairly represented by man in a baseball cap and jeans turning up at a stately home for someone's wedding.

DJMaxG
17-05-2009, 06:16 PM
I just don't think that the industry is fairly represented by man in a baseball cap and jeans turning up at a stately home for someone's wedding.

Ah! He does get changed for events often enough, when the load in is completed.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Ah! He does get changed for events often enough, when the load in is completed.

Not on the one I watched.

DeckstarDeluxe
31-05-2009, 11:31 PM
I have to say what Darren and Steve had said is quite correct. Customers arent going to be that interested in it and neither are fellow djs unless your doing something different. Lets say a large rig or using a new product but even so we arent going to want to watch or wait for 6 minutes of streaming or downloading to view a 30 second clip that might interest us. I think gig logs would be few and far between and they may as well go in the gallery section.

I know personally I have more important things to be doing on the way to the gig, during and after to be talking to the camera thinking Im on the Peep show.

Solitaire Events Ltd
31-05-2009, 11:39 PM
....but wait for my sarcastic and rude effort.

andyw
01-06-2009, 08:57 AM
....but wait for my sarcastic and rude effort.

that would be unlike you

come on pull your finger man and get it up (i do mean the gig log and nothing to do with your caption competition):)