PDA

View Full Version : cdg help needed please

colagirl
27-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Hi, does anyone know what kind of discs you need to burn karaoke songs for a cdg player ? We want to make back up copies to take out like we do for our regular cds, as the cdgs are expensive and are starting to get scratched etc. Also, we buy songs from napster, and i've noticed they also have karaoke songs listed. How would we burn them onto disc and get the words displayed on screen as well ! is this possible with stuff downloaded from napster does anyone know ? I've been told to use dvd-r's, but i don't think our decks play dvd's. any help gratefully received. cheers folks :)

Jays karaoke
28-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Is this legal ???

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-08-2008, 11:41 AM
If you have a Produb licence.

HaiFai
28-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Try Power cdg burner available on link below. Cost is $39 USD.You will need the produb as mentioned above to keep it legal.Normal cdr's can be used, burn at a low speed as higher speeds can cause mosaic effects on the graphics.

http://www.powerkaraoke.com/src/prod_powercdgburner.php

DazzyD
28-08-2008, 08:08 PM
I've been creating CD+Gs of my own for years now. Whoever told you to use recordable DVDs is way out as I don't know of such a format as DVD+G.

You can record CD+Gs on any blank recordable CD but not CD+RW as the discs need to be finalised in order for them to play in a CD+G player. Simple CDrs are all you need.

As for software, any decent CD backup software will do the job. You can use a package such as Nero providing you can copy in RAW mode and read and write sub-channel data. This is the important part. You need a CD writer that can write in this mode and few do - many more can read it but not write to it. If you have Nero there's a utility called something like DriveInfo which will analyse your drive and will tell you if it can read and/or write CD+G. Remember, this format is NOT the same CD+Text as many people seem to think.

If your drive is compatible, then you can use the disc copy facility in Nero but make sure you check the options boxes for read/write sub-channel data. For much easier to use software, try CloneCD (http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonecd.html) as I find this works better and is much more basic and easier to use. Always copy at the slowest speed and turn off any error-reporting/correction functions as these can stop the copying process which is something you don't want.

When the copying is complete (can take a while depending on the speed you burn at but don't be tempted to ramp up the speed - this will only cause you problems and wasted discs) it will take a minute or so to finalise. This process means that the disc will be able to be read in any CD+G compatible player. Job done.

As for the legality of it, if you're copying disc to disc I'm not sure that ProDub will cover this as you're not format-shifting. If you're burning legally bought MP3+G downloads to disc then the ProDub with karaoke uplift is what you need. If you have the ProDub with karaoke uplift then you may be better off using a digital karaoke playout system which will save you having to carry around all those discs!

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-08-2008, 08:11 PM
As for the legality of it, if you're copying disc to disc I'm not sure that ProDub will cover this as you're not format-shifting.

Yes it will. It is a copying licence - any format to any format.

DazzyD
28-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Yes it will. It is a copying licence - any format to any format.

That's for that, Daz. My misunderstanding. :beer1:

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-08-2008, 09:07 PM
The confusion comes with the different phrases used - copying and format shifting and it's called a dubbing licence...

DazzyD
28-08-2008, 09:40 PM
The confusion comes with the different phrases used - copying and format shifting and it's called a dubbing licence...

I don't associate the word dubbing with copying. I associate it the process of overlaying an alternative soundtrack on to video footage as in "badly dubbed film". Maybe that's where my confusion lies. I'm too old school! ;)

colagirl
05-09-2008, 03:13 PM
we have the produb anyway so thats not a prob !! Not sure about whether our drive is able to copy them though, its a recently purchased one but bog standard philips light scribe cd/dvd rewriter. Will have a look. We have nero start smart etc have always used that to back up our regular stuff. It's just the karaoke ones that are v expensive and need backing up really. Wasn't sure how the graphics would get on the disc !!
Thanks for the info will try it all !

Jays karaoke
10-09-2008, 05:07 PM
OK, if you have produb and it legal i can tell you exactly what you need to burn a karaoke disc either from hard drive or making a straight copy.
Firstly you need a Plextor burner as there are only a hand full of burners that will do CD+G format.
You then need mp3 toolz and CDR win. This is the only programme that will pull CD+G files from hard drive to disco.
Don't forget though you need to convert them from mp3 files back to bin files other wise they will not play.

Hope this helps you

DazzyD
10-09-2008, 07:09 PM
OK, if you have produb and it legal i can tell you exactly what you need to burn a karaoke disc either from hard drive or making a straight copy.
Firstly you need a Plextor burner as there are only a hand full of burners that will do CD+G format.
You then need mp3 toolz and CDR win. This is the only programme that will pull CD+G files from hard drive to disco.
Don't forget though you need to convert them from mp3 files back to bin files other wise they will not play.

Hope this helps you

First of all, whilst Plextor may be your chosen drive manufacturer, it's far from the only choice. I have drives from Mitsubishi and LG which are both capable of reading and writing sub-channel data which is essential for reading and creating CD+G.

As for CDRWin being the "only programme" to write CD+Gs, maybe you need to have a look at products from PowerKaraoke or Tricerasoft (my personal favourite!). And then there's always Power CD+G Burner. These software packages tend to be compatible with more burners than CDRWin which has a bit of a reputation for being, shall we say, more fussy about which hardware it will work with.

Just found a good site which has some decent info on it regarding CD+G authoring and just about everything else to do with karaoke. See it here:

http://www.karaoke-tutor.com/cdg-compatible-burners.html

DK Karaoke
10-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Hi, does anyone know what kind of discs you need to burn karaoke songs for a cdg player ? We want to make back up copies to take out like we do for our regular cds, as the cdgs are expensive and are starting to get scratched etc. Also, we buy songs from napster, and i've noticed they also have karaoke songs listed. How would we burn them onto disc and get the words displayed on screen as well ! is this possible with stuff downloaded from napster does anyone know ? I've been told to use dvd-r's, but i don't think our decks play dvd's. any help gratefully received. cheers folks :)

If you are talking about what discs to burn cdg's to, then we have found River Island Black coated silver printable discs to be the best around.

For some reason the black coat prevents light damage to the disc, or at least delays it considerably. Also the playback quality is great.

the burning ripping and burning software for me is Power Karaoke.

The drive, either a Plextor, or a Pioneer, works every time.

Hope this helps