PDA

View Full Version : bass bin help.

Cj_The_Dj
01-09-2008, 05:11 PM
hi i now have a part time job at Jd sports.

and i earn about £50.00-£80 a week evening and weekend,

so i am looking for bass bins to go with the peavey ul-15s

i have been looking at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1200W-SPEAKER-DJ-PA-POWER-SUBWOOFER-OMNITRONIC-BX-1850_W0QQitemZ290257283758QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 290257283758&_trkparms=72%3A1121%7C39%3A2%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

what you think.

i am going to save money from work.

so i was wondering how much to save.

any help i would be gr8 full.

djsteve10
01-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Why buy cheap if you have Peavey UL's
Believe me you will change them bass bins before you change the Peaveys, Save your money there is no rush for bass bins your UL15's are more than upto the job at the moment, Never jump and buy them because they are cheap because they are cheap for one reason and that is they are toilet.

Cj_The_Dj
01-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Why buy cheap if you have Peavey UL's
Believe me you will change them bass bins before you change the Peaveys, Save your money there is no rush for bass bins your UL15's are more than upto the job at the moment, Never jump and buy them because they are cheap because they are cheap for one reason and that is they are toilet.

thaks for that. but my peaveys dont seem to have much bass when on stands. but when on the floor they trebble seems too low and the sound get lost in to people.

also they would look better stood on top of bass bins rather than the floor.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Disco-PA-Speakers-15-x-600watt-Bass-Bins-pair_W0QQitemZ280261943379QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 280261943379&_trkparms=72%3A1121%7C39%3A2%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

is it me or are these black widow drivers, (beacuse of the rim around the driver).

Jiggles
01-09-2008, 05:29 PM
For that price NO.

Cj_The_Dj
01-09-2008, 05:34 PM
they just look like black widow drivers.

ppentertainments
01-09-2008, 06:12 PM
I would heed DjSteve's advice and not rush into buying cheap bass bins. To be honest apart from younger discos I never use bins now as I was finding that for smaller weddings etc they were 'too much'. I go out with just full range and for larger weddings use 4 full range. Don't know if coincedence or not but since doing this have a lot more bookings for older (50s, 60,s) birhtdays and have been compimented on not having a disco that 'goes boom boom in your ear every night' even when using a 1.3 kw set.

CRAZY K
01-09-2008, 07:10 PM
thaks for that. but my peaveys dont seem to have much bass when on stands. but when on the floor they trebble seems too low and the sound get lost in to people.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Disco-PA-Speakers-15-x-600watt-Bass-Bins-pair_W0QQitemZ280261943379QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 280261943379&_trkparms=72%3A1121%7C39%3A2%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

is it me or are these black widow drivers, (beacuse of the rim around the driver).

You need the speakers high up on stands or tables to get above head height so the top end carries---

I would have thought those UL15s would have a fair bit of bass--what amp and mixer do you use?

Maybe theres not enough bass going into the cabinets?

You could buy Peavey Subs to match the UL 15s, they would be cheap second hand.

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
01-09-2008, 07:39 PM
i used the ul-15s predessessor on their own for about 5 years with no complaints just for th record :D :D :D :D

djsteve10
01-09-2008, 08:02 PM

I know the money is burning a whole in your pocket but trust me I have been there and bought the cheap gear and ended up with a garage full of broken cheapo stuff. Get Peavey and keep it Peavey all the way and you will have an excellent sound system. Remember all discos are not about bass just up the bass on your mixer and you will be fine you dont want to have subs banging away during a mellow swing set at 80th birthday party ect.

Excalibur
01-09-2008, 08:29 PM
You are using excellent tops already, I wouldn't rush to put low grade subs under them. My preferred option ( though by no means the cheapest) would be to get a second amp for the bins, fed either from an active crossover, or the crossover outputs of an amp equipped with them. This will allow you to vary the relative volumes of them to suit venue and audience. Peavey UL subs are superb and would be the best match, but other makes are available. There's a company in the midlands that some folk on here have used, but I can't remember the name. :( :(

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-09-2008, 10:01 PM
any help i would be gr8 full.

You should be grateful that your post hasn't been deleted.

How many times do we have to mention this?

NO TEXT TALK

DJ INDIE
01-09-2008, 10:13 PM
id definitely go for Peavey bass bins. The black widow drivers never break.

weve had some PEAVEY HiSYSIIs in the band (replaced NEXOs with them) for years and theyre ultra reliable and cheapish too. (you can pick up a pair for under £200 - and sell them for the same price in 5 years time..they never depreciate once they hit that price)

they will also compliment the tops perfectly and work as a 'system', rather than mis matched tops and bins.

lets face it - reliability is key. and theyre a cracking sound too. (if quite big - although smaller than the 4ft NEXOs!!).

HaiFai
01-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Ul115 or ul118 bass bins ideal for your ul15 tops run with a pv2600 amp (this will give you 900w program per side on the bass bins using the built in croosover of the amp then use the thru outs on the amp to the amp that runs the ul15 tops), may take some time to save up for them but worth it. I use the ul115 with my ul15 tops and never had a complaint with the sound quality.

As already suggested use stands for your ul15's your sound will carry further and a bit more low eq from the mixer.

Cj_The_Dj
01-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Ul115 or ul118 bass bins ideal for your ul15 tops run with a pv2600 amp (this will give you 900w program per side on the bass bins using the built in croosover of the amp then use the thru outs on the amp to the amp that runs the ul15 tops), may take some time to save up for them but worth it. I use the ul115 with my ul15 tops and never had a complaint with the sound quality.

As already suggested use stands for your ul15's your sound will carry further and a bit more low eq from the mixer.

I have low on full i have a behringer mixing desk. the speakers sound amazing on floor but as soon as stand come in to the equation they lack bass. but it doesn't travel far enough

DJ INDIE
02-09-2008, 12:15 AM
for the smoothest bass sound, try creating a 'smiley face'. (if youre eq is sliders etc) ie from left to right your eq will look like

U (but shallower)

ie the bass is fairly up past mid way, the high fairly past mid way and the mids below mid way (scooped out).

or if you have dials try;

high at 2o'clock
mids at 10o'clock
bass at 2 o'clock

then turn loud and if needed adjust a tiny bit more bass from there or cut the mid more.

it may be your mid setting disguising your bass (turning the bass to full doesnt mean youll get a better bass sound). this setting will give you a clearer more defined bass sound.

worth a try until you can afford some bass bins. good luck

Danno13
02-09-2008, 12:21 AM
The EQ curve depends entirely on the speakers and acoustics of the room.. sorry but smiley face curves are laughed at in the pro audio world!

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-09-2008, 12:40 AM
The EQ curve depends entirely on the speakers and acoustics of the room.. sorry but smiley face curves are laughed at in the pro audio world!

Lucky we're not in it then...:sofa: :D

Cj_The_Dj
02-09-2008, 12:43 AM
i always have it on a wave shape. and sound good when my cabs are on the floor and i always have the eq on, on the cabs aswell.

DJ INDIE
02-09-2008, 12:48 AM
quote: The EQ curve depends entirely on the speakers and acoustics of the room.. sorry but smiley face curves are laughed at in the pro audio world! quote:

for someone who cant get a good bass response out of his speakers, its a good quick easy place to start.

im well up enough on bass and bass settings to know that.

theres a million other 'bass boosting' settings (depending on what type of bass you want), but i havent got a year to list them all.

Cj_The_Dj
02-09-2008, 01:14 AM
quote: The EQ curve depends entirely on the speakers and acoustics of the room.. sorry but smiley face curves are laughed at in the pro audio world! quote:

for someone who cant get a good bass response out of his speakers, its a good quick easy place to start.

im well up enough on bass and bass settings to know that.

theres a million other 'bass boosting' settings (depending on what type of bass you want), but i havent got a year to list them all.

i want the bass i get with them on the floor but i want them high up

Excalibur
02-09-2008, 07:12 AM

Spot on there Sir, excellent advice.

i always have it on a wave shape. and sound good when my cabs are on the floor and i always have the eq on, on the cabs aswell.

If there's an EQ switch on the cabs ( which I think there is) set it to FLAT or OFF. I think it's to emphasise vocals, and taking it off may appear to increase bass response. See if this helps.

CRAZY K
02-09-2008, 09:40 AM
for the smoothest bass sound, try creating a 'smiley face'. (if youre eq is sliders etc) ie from left to right your eq will look like

U (but shallower)

ie the bass is fairly up past mid way, the high fairly past mid way and the mids below mid way (scooped out).

or if you have dials try;

high at 2o'clock
mids at 10o'clock
bass at 2 o'clock

then turn loud and if needed adjust a tiny bit more bass from there or cut the mid more.

it may be your mid setting disguising your bass (turning the bass to full doesnt mean youll get a better bass sound). this setting will give you a clearer more defined bass sound.

worth a try until you can afford some bass bins. good luck

If you do that you get a muffled sound because the mid setting will kill off volume and also frequencies you want to hear!

I have never had the mid setting on hte Peavey Powered mixer at anything except 12 oclock or sometimes up to 2oclock to get more punch and mid top end in venues with bad acoustics.

If you want more bass whack up the bass eq!!!

Did you tell us what amp/ mixer your using as I suspect this may be the
real problem not the speakers.

CRAZY K

Cj_The_Dj
02-09-2008, 12:46 PM
If you do that you get a muffled sound because the mid setting will kill off volume and also frequencies you want to hear!

I have never had the mid setting on hte Peavey Powered mixer at anything except 12 oclock or sometimes up to 2oclock to get more punch and mid top end in venues with bad acoustics.

If you want more bass whack up the bass eq!!!

Did you tell us what amp/ mixer your using as I suspect this may be the
real problem not the speakers.

CRAZY K

i have a behringer - henyx 1222fx
a prosound amp 1000

but i get a good bass and sound when there on the floor just not on stands

CRAZY K
02-09-2008, 02:06 PM
a prosound amp 1000

Pro sound is that a Maplins product?

This may well be the problem---:confused:

CRAZY K

Cj_The_Dj
02-09-2008, 03:01 PM
yes it is but its not bad when the cabs are on the floor. would any one recommend me using a external graphic eq.

A1DL
02-09-2008, 03:45 PM
would any one recommend me using a external graphic eq.

most definitely :)

Cj_The_Dj
02-09-2008, 04:49 PM
most definitely :)

any you could recomend?

djsteve10
02-09-2008, 04:50 PM
a prosound amp 1000

Definatley change to a Peavey Amp when you can afford one.

HaiFai
02-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi CJ,
If you are placing speakers on a stage or a floor with a void underneath the bass will reverberate in that space therefore making the bass sound more extreme (anyone please correct if I am wrong).Once you lift up onto stands or god forbid a table you will lose this. I personally find no problems with the bass from th ul15's up on stands using the same mixer a yourself. I usually add a touch of bass on the channel and a touch on the graphic eq.

A1DL
02-09-2008, 05:55 PM
any you could recomend?

I love the DN360 on FOH, justifiably the long time industry standard... however I also have a few BSS FCS966s which are very nice (and more affordable)

The GEQ600 is also highly regarded by many, I haven't used one yet so can't really comment...

Dillmiester
03-09-2008, 10:57 AM
I use one of these and its fine (although some people dont like the brand) you can pick them up for about £60.
http://www.behringer.com/FBQ1502/index.cfm?lang=ENG