PDA

View Full Version : How to wire a speaker?

Tom
07-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Got a bit of a strange question.

I hope I posted this in the right section???

I will be installing a small sound system for my car so I can listen to the music as it should be heard and have come across this subwoofer. It's got 4+4+4+4 ohm. How would you wire that up???. :eek: :confused:

Andy Westcott
07-09-2008, 03:32 PM
We need more information, I think.
How many drivers in this cabinet? Possibly 4, although there could be two with dual voice coils.

Have a look and let us know what you've found out.

Tom
07-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Hello Andy,

The cab would have two of these drivers and they are rated at 500 rms each.

The speakers have 4 voice coils from what I can from the picture and infomation provided as it is an Italian driver. lol

Excalibur
07-09-2008, 04:08 PM
This is only an educated guess, but I'd suggest two pairs in series, ie
4+4=8ohms. Then those in parallel, 1/8+1/8=1/4, ie 4ohms.

Tom
07-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks for that Peter. I was thinking that but wasnt to sure if it would work or not?

So how would I go about wiring 8 voice coils up then. lol.

spin mobile disco
07-09-2008, 07:58 PM
I would double check they are 500 watts rms. As most car audio systes are prone to inflation. I bought 2 15 inch cones supposed 500 watts rms at 4 ohms . Turned out to be 100 watts rms and 500 sound power (not music power) And was only 50 watts rms at 8 ohms or some such.
A lot of incar amps can run at 2 ohms as well so may be worth checking carefully.

Tom
07-09-2008, 08:31 PM
I have checked. They are 500 rms each and 1000w max power.

If you click here (http://www.ciare.com/consumer_en/prodotti_car.htm) and then go to page 2 then select the CSW4000, under that you will see a PDF, click on that then the stats.

That might clear things up instead.

BeerFunk
07-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I will be installing a small sound system for my car so I can listen to the music as it should be heardI do hope there aren't any audiophiles lurking, or you're in for a rollocking! :D

This is only an educated guess, but I'd suggest two pairs in series, ie
4+4=8ohms. Then those in parallel, 1/8+1/8=1/4, ie 4ohms.That would be exactly how I'd interpret it, seems the only logical way to arrive at 4 ohms combined.

Tom
07-09-2008, 10:49 PM
I do hope there aren't any audiophiles lurking, or you're in for a rollocking! :D

That would be exactly how I'd interpret it, seems the only logical way to arrive at 4 ohms combined.

I hope there are. Any advice on this would help me a lot. I will be installing an EQ in there aswell to try and get a flat sound. Some of you may think I'm mad or don't see the point but hey.

As for the ohms, thats two people saying the same thing. As already posted, just need to find out how to wire it all up. lol

Excalibur
08-09-2008, 06:43 AM
Tom, a thought occurs. If you got a big inverter, to give 240v from a car battery, you could put the Mackies on the parcel shelf. ;) :sofa:

Tom
08-09-2008, 06:58 AM
Peter, You must be having a laugh. lol.I have seen pictures of people putting PA gear in there cars and it draws so much power from the battery.I will only be having a pair or speakers in the front and a sub in the boot. Thats it speaker wise. But thinking about it, you have a van. I wonder what kind of speaker system you could make out of your class-d speakers. lol.

Excalibur
08-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Me having a laugh? I was just being helpful. ;) As to the van, you've seen the piccy, the lights are already fitted on top, reverse up to the venue, open the rear doors, and ready to Rock and Roll. :D :D