PDA

View Full Version : Help...what's gone wrong?

rob1963
17-09-2008, 11:08 AM
I hope this is in the right section. If not, please can somebody with the appropriate power move it.

I have technical problems of gargantuan proportions concerning this forum & need some urgent help. Actually, that's a slight exaggeration, but I just love the word gargantuan.

For the last few days, signatures which contain a banner (including mine) just show up as a load of text, and I have to click on it in order to see the banner, which opens in a separate page.

However, when I go to the user CP & open the edit signature page, it correctly shows my banner as my current signature.

Secondly, when I reply to a message, the smileys on the right hand side of the message box are no longer there...there's just a completely blank space now, so I'm not able to use smileys.

I've logged out & back into the forum, but the problem is still there.

If any technical people know what's gone wrong & how it can be put right, please let me know!

Thanks in advance for any help.

ppentertainments
17-09-2008, 11:12 AM
How can you sleep at night worrying about this, Rob :D :D :D :D

One Vision
17-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Whoooo Big Brother is watching you :p
Sounds like somebody is playing games with you and possibly removed your permissions to view them :eek:

But I could be completely wrong :D

rob1963
17-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Sounds like somebody is playing games with you and possibly removed your permissions to view them :eek:

The thought had already crossed my mind, although if that WAS the case I'd have expected a message to let me know & give the reason.

One Vision
17-09-2008, 11:19 AM
I wouldn't expect they would if playing games?

rob1963
17-09-2008, 11:26 AM

I have no idea, Karl.

I just need to find out what's gone wrong & get it sorted out as soon as possible.

One Vision
17-09-2008, 11:37 AM
You haven't been in to Internet setting recently have you?
Have a check in there to see if anything has been unchecked on the media side of the list in the "Advanced" options.

soundtracker
17-09-2008, 11:42 AM
I've had a look at your user area Rob, all looks ok, and nobody has done anything silly, that I can see! Must be something your end, try re-setting your cookies and see if that hepls.

Vectis
17-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Has XP Service Pack 3 landed on your computer Rob?

It was released to Joe Public on Tuesday and I understand it changes all manner of things especially user permission type stuff.

Not experienced it personally as I'm 100% OSX now but have heard mutterings from colleagues...

Edit: Just google 'XP SP3 breaks' and get worried...

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Whoooo Big Brother is watching you :p

But I could be completely wrong :D

Yes, you are.

One Vision
17-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Yes, you are.

:sofa:

rob1963
17-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Has XP Service Pack 3 landed on your computer Rob?

It's landed, but I haven't installed it.

I've just checked, and I'm still running service pack 2.

Shaun
17-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Your settings look ok, Rob. I can see your banner fine. Callum's image in his signature is showing up as text too. Not sure if it's linked to the same problem you're experiencing?

rob1963
17-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Your settings look ok, Rob. I can see your banner fine. Callum's image in his signature is showing up as text too. Not sure if it's linked to the same problem you're experiencing?

It sounds like a problem my end, Shaun...I just have no idea what!

I tried doing a system restore to a date from last week, but still no joy.

Edit: I've just noticed I've also lost the tool bar along the top of the message box, so I can't add any attachments or use bold, coloured or underlined text either.

Marc J
17-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Have you tried a different browser?

Jiggles
17-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Callum's image in his signature is showing up as text too. Not sure if it's linked to the same problem you're experiencing?

Thats the forum IMG tag problem that im having.

rob1963
17-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Have you tried a different browser?

No Marc...I wouldn't have a clue how to!

Marc J
17-09-2008, 05:35 PM
No Marc...I wouldn't have a clue how to!

It's easy!

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

Download...Install...Use :)

Penfold42
17-09-2008, 06:02 PM
I've had a look at your user area Rob, all looks ok, and nobody has done anything silly, that I can see! Must be something your end, try re-setting your cookies and see if that hepls.

http://ally.escapist.nu/cookiemonster/cookie.jpg

Excalibur
17-09-2008, 07:36 PM
The thought had already crossed my mind, although if that WAS the case I'd have expected a message to let me know & give the reason.

Surely nobody with the authority to do this would have the cheek to do it on the quiet? :confused:

http://ally.escapist.nu/cookiemonster/cookie.jpg

Ah. Can you see the flaw in my argument? :D :D

Penfold42
17-09-2008, 07:38 PM
:lol:......:D

It's not me.........
http://atangledweb.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/scarecrow_oz.gif

Excalibur
17-09-2008, 07:42 PM
:lol:......:D

It's not me.........

Well that's the first of the usual supects ruled out then! :D

Penfold42
17-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Well that's the first of the usual supects ruled out then! :D

:eek: :eek: :eek: .....:boxer2:

I'm also not sure what is happening.....and also while we are on the subject but slightly off topic (who me).....what's going on with Callum signature then.....:confused:

Excalibur
17-09-2008, 08:03 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: .....:boxer2:

I'm also not sure what is happening.....and also while we are on the subject but slightly off topic (who me).....what's going on with Callum signature then.....:confused:

You're asking me to advise Callum on computer problems? :confused: Do me a favour, the lad's a genius in my opinion, he solved my problems. ;) :D

Jiggles
17-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Manage to get it fixed this time! d@mn forum removed the tags!

nigelwright7557
17-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Could be Internet explorer is getting confused as to whetehr pictrues are in its cache or not ?
Try deleting the cache and see if that fixes it....

rob1963
18-09-2008, 12:29 AM
It's easy!

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

Download...Install...Use :)

Thanks Marc,

I've tried Firefox, but it's still the same.

Could be Internet explorer is getting confused as to whetehr pictrues are in its cache or not ?
Try deleting the cache and see if that fixes it....

Thanks Nigel,

I gave that a go, but no joy either.

Marc J
18-09-2008, 07:18 AM
What does it say when you go here: http://www.niuonline.niu.edu/browsertest.html

And, is there any chance you can try from another computer?

Corabar Steve
18-09-2008, 07:30 AM
I've just had a look at your settings & all seems as it should be. I'm stumped.

On a similar note, over the last few days, I've found I have to hit the back button twice to get it to work when viewing this forum

JAMdisco
18-09-2008, 07:55 AM
On a similar note, over the last few days, I've found I have to hit the back button twice to get it to work when viewing this forum

Same here - but no great hardship I guess.

Hopefully the forum isn't going to 'break' again.

Excalibur
18-09-2008, 08:11 AM

Snap, but I've had to do this for ages, and not just here.

rob1963
18-09-2008, 08:25 AM
What does it say when you go here: http://www.niuonline.niu.edu/browsertest.html

Every one came up with a tick & the word passed.

And, is there any chance you can try from another computer?

Unfortunately not, as I only have the one.

I guess I'll just have to wait until the next time my computer expert friend comes round.

:shrug:

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-09-2008, 11:12 AM

And I thought that was my mouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFS! :mad:

Marc J
18-09-2008, 11:19 AM
On the double back button front (:confused:), it seems there's an extra page load when you view a thread - the page seems to be refreshed immediately (turn your speakers up, you'll hear an extra click). It's this that's causing the back button to break, as there's an extra page in there...

Has someone been tinkering with the workings?