PDA

View Full Version : Using I Tunes

Cookie1977
23-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Gentlemen

I wonder if you could asdvise. I was having a discussion tonight with a fellow newish DJ. If you have read my previous posts you will know I havent done any (proffesional) gigs yet, favouring to get my sound and lighting set up right.

I will certainly be set up as a laptop DJ, and he is as well. i was talking about the various options of sotware, and he asid all he uses is Itunes with an external sound card, into an amp and then into speakers. He uses the Itunes crossfade option to mix his tracks and said this has served him well..

I have I tunes mainly for personal use but have nearly 6000 tracks on there...

Can it be that easy??

Javlingames
24-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Hmm I wasnt aware that I tunes has a crossfader facility, I would recommend a professional DJ programme. I use I TUnes but to purely organise and tag my music, it works in conjuction with the programme i use 'serato'

www.scratchlive.net

check it out

Vectis
24-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Hmm I wasnt aware that I tunes has a crossfader facility

It does, but it's a fixed amount and it totally inflexible - also takes an age to recalculate if you decide you want to change the fadeover amount.

For a CHEAP but VERY EFFECTIVE twin deck package you can't do better than spending £29 or whatever the exchange rate works it out at on OTS Turntables Silver. Perfect starting point for a noob.

Excalibur
24-09-2008, 07:21 PM
It does, but it's a fixed amount and it totally inflexible - also takes an age to recalculate if you decide you want to change the fadeover amount.

For a CHEAP but VERY EFFECTIVE twin deck package you can't do better than spending £29 or whatever the exchange rate works it out at on OTS Turntables Silver. Perfect starting point for a noob.

You're probably right Vectis, as you're an acknowledged expert in this field, but the demo was a bit too tricky for a DJ of very little brain like myself. :o :o

UltraBeat Entertainment
25-09-2008, 08:17 AM
I've used Itunes while DJing before. I used to keep the laptop and Itunes for backup and have actualy used it for some gigs due to technicial problems with my CD player. It works well bout abit hit and miss with the cross fading but good for cueing up tracks and creating live playlists.

Would be much better if you could listen to the next song in your headphones while still playing tracks but sadly Itunes only runs on a single channel so this is not possible. Maybe something for an update in the future:)

Vectis
25-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Oh there's no doubt it'll get you out of a hole if your main playout croaks, but it's not good enough as primary source.