PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way I can do this?

rob1963
25-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Firstly, I'd like to confirm that I'm not very technically minded, so apologies if I'm asking a really stupid question here!

My music is held in the itunes music library on my PC which I sync with my ipod for use at gigs.

People sometimes ask for a copy of my full music list, which I print out from itunes & send them in the post.

The trouble is this takes the best part of an hour, uses half a rain forest & costs me at least a fiver a pop.

Is there any way of copying the itunes music library to some kind of document which can then be emailed at the click of a button?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Corabar Steve
25-09-2008, 11:56 AM
What about getting hold of MP3 Collector? You can scan your iTunes library to get the database & then do all sort of things with it.

501damian501
25-09-2008, 12:00 PM
plenty of pieces of software on the market, which can scan your tunes then make a database out of them, or maybe ask a dj nicely for theirs and edit it down to suit, cheers damian

CRAZY K
25-09-2008, 12:30 PM
I have the answer--

Copy me--copy mine to start with if you like---not this list incidentally.

Have your playlist on an excel sheet and publish it on your website.

Then you give the client a link like this--they can access it direct of course on the site

http://www.ultimatecountryshow.co.uk/countrycollection.html

Job done:D

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Firstly, I'd like to confirm that I'm not very technically minded, so apologies if I'm asking a really stupid question here!

My music is held in the itunes music library on my PC which I sync with my ipod for use at gigs.

People sometimes ask for a copy of my full music list, which I print out from itunes & send them in the post.

The trouble is this takes the best part of an hour, uses half a rain forest & costs me at least a fiver a pop.

Is there any way of copying the itunes music library to some kind of document which can then be emailed at the click of a button?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

You said that most of your work comes through the internet and email, so why are you printing the list? Why not just email it to them?

rob1963
25-09-2008, 01:01 PM
You said that most of your work comes through the internet and email, so why are you printing the list? Why not just email it to them?

Darren,

That's exactly why I'm asking the question...because that's what I WANT to be able to do!

My music in itunes on the computer is well over 40gb.

I want to be able to email just a LIST of the music...not my entire music library!

Shakermaker Promotions
25-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Why don't you try doing some screen dumps and saving them as image files and sending them that way?

TonyB
25-09-2008, 01:46 PM
In Itunes, if you click on file>>Export.... it will save the tracklist to a text file.

It takes a little while to process it but when it's complete, open the text file in Excel and delete the columns you don't want (I just leave the track name and artist columns) and save it as an Excel file.

UltraBeat Entertainment
25-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Not sure if this works but there are many products that do this but here goes.

As part of Ms Office 2007 there is a "virtual printer" called OneNote 2007. If you print your Itunes library to that it should convert it into a txt type of file then simply cut and paste into Ms Word then you should have your entire song list in a .doc file.

Hope this helps

rob1963
26-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the ideas & suggestions folks.

:)

DazzyD
26-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Get a PDF creator such as CutePDF (which I think is free) or PDF Factory Pro (which is what I use). Do everything as you would when printing normally. When you get the print screen where you choose your printer, choose to output to CutePDF (or whatever). This then creates a PDF file of what you would normally have sent to the printer. You will be asked to give it a name (such as Tracklisting or whatever), choose where you want to save it and hit the Save (or Create) button. This will then create a PDF doc which can be read in Adobe Reader and can be sent to your clients as an email attachment.

Dead easy. Job done! :)

digga
26-09-2008, 05:28 AM
Hi Rob

I do exactly as Dazzy D describes above. It's so simple to do once you've installed CutePDF. You can then use this to send contracts etc.

The advantage with pdf files are that they are a lot smaller than a Word document, and they can not be edited.

If you need assistance on how to install this, PM me.

rob1963
26-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Get a PDF creator such as CutePDF (which I think is free) or PDF Factory Pro (which is what I use). Do everything as you would when printing normally. When you get the print screen where you choose your printer, choose to output to CutePDF (or whatever). This then creates a PDF file of what you would normally have sent to the printer. You will be asked to give it a name (such as Tracklisting or whatever), choose where you want to save it and hit the Save (or Create) button. This will then create a PDF doc which can be read in Adobe Reader and can be sent to your clients as an email attachment.

Dead easy. Job done! :)

Hi Rob

I do exactly as Dazzy D describes above. It's so simple to do once you've installed CutePDF. You can then use this to send contracts etc.

The advantage with pdf files are that they are a lot smaller than a Word document, and they can not be edited.

If you need assistance on how to install this, PM me.

Some of the previous suggestions are a bit more long-winded & involve doing things to itunes, which concerns me in case I muck it up!

I really like the idea of this one though, so thanks guys.

If I have any problems installing or using it, prepare for a pm!

DazzyD
26-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Rob you can't really go wrong. It really is so simple.

What CutePDF (or any one of a number of these programs) does is installs a "Virtual Printer" driver in much the same way as installing a real printer would do. The CutePDF "printer" would then be listed in the printers drop-down box when you've selected "Print" from any application you're working in. However, instead of sending the information to a physical printer, it writes it to a PDF file. Once you've emailed it to the customer, they can read it, zoom in and out, print it, cut and paste sections that may be of special interest to them, etc.

As for not being able to edit it, in the vast majority of cases this is true but there are some software packages out there that do allow editing (the major player being the full version of Adobe Acrobat but the price puts this out of most peoples reach!). I also think that Word 2007 can handle PDF files but I haven't had the time to check this out yet - I'm still trying to get used this bloomin' Ribbon system!

So, PDF files, when used with a PDF reader, offer a versatile and simple method of distributing information electronically. It may take a couple of hours practice to get used to creating these files but it's well worth the (minimal!) amount of effort!

BTW - here's the linky for CutePDF - and, best of all, it's FREE!!! :) :) :)

http://www.cutepdf.com/

CRAZY K
26-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Some of the previous suggestions are a bit more long-winded & involve doing things to itunes, which concerns me in case I muck it up!

I really like the idea of this one though, so thanks guys.

If I have any problems installing or using it, prepare for a pm!

Can I ask--of the suggestions made who is ACTUALLY using their suggestion successfully with clients right now and knows it works and customers respond to it.

Me?

Yes I have been using my method for years and customers like it and use it regularly.

CRAZY K

Javlingames
26-09-2008, 09:57 AM
I have to say Rob if a client ever asked me for a FULL list of my music collection I would probably say to them that its easier for you to ask me what you would like to be played. It would take ages for them to read through it. In any case if you do have a list, you could put it on your website somehow? Then each time somebody asks for a list direct them to your site?

DazzyD
26-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I am using my suggestion successfully. Not for doing songlists (I've only been asked for this once in all the time I've been doing this!). I do use PDF files for the booking pack for email bookings, though. Also, any promotions/sales literature that we email out is in PDF format. It was the suggestion of a client when her booking pack was delayed due to printer trouble. And it does seem to work for us!

CRAZY K
26-09-2008, 10:49 AM
I have to say Rob if a client ever asked me for a FULL list of my music collection I would probably say to them that its easier for you to ask me what you would like to be played. It would take ages for them to read through it. In any case if you do have a list, you could put it on your website somehow? Then each time somebody asks for a list direct them to your site?

Good idea---read my earlier post

It works:thumbs_up:

CRAZY K

Shaun
26-09-2008, 11:47 AM
I have to say Rob if a client ever asked me for a FULL list of my music collection I would probably say to them that its easier for you to ask me what you would like to be played.

:agree:

I don't think anyones ever asked me for a list.

Javlingames
26-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Good idea---read my earlier post

It works:thumbs_up:

CRAZY K

Woops sorry, I must stop reading threads from back to front

rob1963
26-09-2008, 01:13 PM
if a client ever asked me for a FULL list of my music collection I would probably say to them that its easier for you to ask me what you would like to be played.

I already send them a request form along with a list of my 120 most requested songs to give them a few ideas, but people are primarily booking us to play music...so I it makes sense to be able to give them full details of all the music we have available. That's why my site says this can be arranged if required. "Everything counts" & all that.

I'm sure if they asked for a full list of all our music & we said no, they might think that was a bit strange.

It would take ages for them to read through it.

I'm only guessing here, but I wouldn't think they read through the whole thing all the way through. I'd say they probably just glance through it to get some ideas as to what they'd like to be played, as well possibly as looking up some of their favourite artists to see what songs are held by those artists. That's what I'd do.

if you do have a list, you could put it on your website somehow? Then each time somebody asks for a list direct them to your site?

To be honest, I see no need to put the full music list on my website, partly because of the work involved, partly because I'd need to keep updating it all the time for it to remain accurate, and partly because I only have two or three people wanting to see my full list each year...so it makes more sense to either print it out & post it to them (like I do now) or (even better) to email it to them.

Although only two or three people request the full list each year, it currently takes about an hour to print out, involves a visit to the post office & costs me at least a fiver each time...which is why I started this thread to ask about the email possibility.

CRAZY K
26-09-2008, 01:55 PM
I already send them a request form along with a list of my 120 most requested songs to give them a few ideas, but people are primarily booking us to play music...so I it makes sense to be able to give them full details of all the music we have available. That's why my site says this can be arranged if required. "Everything counts" & all that.

I'm sure if they asked for a full list of all our music & we said no, they might think that was a bit strange.

I'm only guessing here, but I wouldn't think they read through the whole thing all the way through. I'd say they probably just glance through it to get some ideas as to what they'd like to be played, as well possibly as looking up some of their favourite artists to see what songs are held by those artists. That's what I'd do.

To be honest, I see no need to put the full music list on my website, partly because of the work involved, partly because I'd need to keep updating it all the time for it to remain accurate, and partly because I only have two or three people wanting to see my full list each year...so it makes more sense to either print it out & post it to them (like I do now) or (even better) to email it to them.

Although only two or three people request the full list each year, it currently takes about an hour to print out, involves a visit to the post office & costs me at least a fiver each time...which is why I started this thread to ask about the email possibility.

If you set up a basic list it would take a few minutes each week to update, some weeks you probably dont buy any new music at all.

CRAZY K

Excalibur
26-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Cute PDF is a programme I use, and it's a doddle.
Media Monkey has a brilliant facility, whereby it will create an Excel Document of your library. You could send that out as an attachment.

rob1963
26-09-2008, 04:50 PM
I've been reading about Cute PDF on their website, and it says I'll also need to download a PS2PDF converter such as Ghostscript.

Can a Cute PDF user confirm whether this is the case?

Excalibur
26-09-2008, 05:01 PM
I've been reading about Cute PDF on their website, and it says I'll also need to download a PS2PDF converter such as Ghostscript.

No idea Rob, but if you got Media Monkey for £15 ish, and read your HD with it, then at the pres of a button, you'd have an Excel doc you could send.

rob1963
26-09-2008, 05:16 PM
No idea Rob, but if you got Media Monkey for £15 ish, and read your HD with it, then at the pres of a button, you'd have an Excel doc you could send.

Thanks Excalibur, but I'll probably just download the extra software they tell you about, as it's also free.

Why pay £15 when I can pay nothing?

:D

Excalibur
27-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Thanks Excalibur, but I'll probably just download the extra software they tell you about, as it's also free.

Why pay £15 when I can pay nothing?

:D

Because Media Monkey is an excellent program. Propeller is using it, and I think a couple of others have had a look, oh yes Justin for one. Clever swine started showing me how to use it to greater effect. ;) :D

rob1963
27-09-2008, 09:12 AM

CAN A CUTE PDF USER CONFIRM WHETHER THIS IS THE CASE?

I'll even be happy if an UGLY PDF user can confirm whether this is the case!

:rofl:

Jiggles
27-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Primo PDF is really easy to use!

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-09-2008, 10:44 AM

I use Cute PDF and have never used Ghostscript.

soundtracker
27-09-2008, 11:08 AM
I use DJ Event Planner, my full track list is on line available to view and select tracks, clients love it.

DazzyD
28-09-2008, 08:24 AM

I'll even be happy if an UGLY PDF user can confirm whether this is the case!

:rofl:

I've used CutePDF for months and never needed anything else. Mind you, I got it off a computer magazine cover disc as opposed to downloading it. Maybe the downloadable version is different in this respect.

Get yourself a copy of the DVD edition of PC Pro - it's usually on there (but make sure first cos it's a pricey magazine!)

;)

Marc J
28-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Ghostscript used to be bundled with the CutePDF installer, but isn't anymore. It's still required but is a separate (free) download, linked to from their site.

I'm guessing CutePDF did this so they wouldn't have to update their download everytime a new version of Ghostscript was released.

I don't see the problem - they're both free downloads, just get them both!

Vectis
28-09-2008, 09:20 AM
If you have Office 2007 you can download the free PDF writer plug-in here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en

This also allows you to 'Send email as PDF' without having to create a file first. So, once you've got your data into Excel, click, click, gone!

'XPS' file format is Microsoft's wannabe challenger to PDF but it's not really caught on so you can safely ignore this :D

Alternatively you could just buy a Mac...

rob1963
28-09-2008, 10:24 AM
If you have Office 2007 you can download the free PDF writer plug-in here

Unfortunately I don't :(

Why? Is it raining?

Jiggles
28-09-2008, 10:31 AM

This is Rob we're taling to :D Too fancy for him. :D

partytimediscos
30-09-2008, 11:14 PM
How about next time you log on to your list drag your cursor over the wole text, then simply press "copy" on your mouse option. Then transfer the whole lot to a wor document and simply paste the text on? send as an attachment and job done.;)