PDA

View Full Version : YoGen Vocal Remover

One Vision
30-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Hya fellas just got a cracking piece of kit, its called "YoGen Vocal Remover" you still hear the backing vocals, well the track I tried but completely gets rid of the main vocals and without compromising the quality.
This would be perfect for making karaoke tracks.
Give it a try and let us know how you get on.
http://www.yogen.com/download.html

djsteve10
30-09-2008, 05:11 PM
you can still here the lead vocals anyway, This is no good for making karaoke tracks in my opinion... Where is the lyrics on the screen for the punters to see?

One Vision
30-09-2008, 05:36 PM
It does depend on the track, when I say for karaoke I mean for the vocal removal part.

A1DL
30-09-2008, 05:52 PM
IMHO it would be a lot more useful if it were a 19" rack effect than a computer program

Adam_F
30-09-2008, 07:55 PM
There is no magic answer to remove vocals. When a track is mixed down, everythings merged together. All hardware options sound very bad, and software is no better. Melodyne (http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=products_plugin) is the only professional piece of software that'll give you the best results.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-09-2008, 07:57 PM
There is no magic answer to remove vocals. When a track is mixed down, everythings merged together. All hardware options sound very bad, and software is no better. Melodyne (http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=products_plugin) is the only professional piece of software that'll give you the best results.

I have had bits of software that basically turned the mid/vocals down and wasn't very good. I wonder how legal that software is to use Adam?

Adam_F
30-09-2008, 08:06 PM
I have had bits of software that basically turned the mid/vocals down and wasn't very good. I wonder how legal that software is to use Adam?

I don't know. Its a professional piece of software in the industry. I'd say its mainly for your own productions, and editing, more than commercial music.

I'd be rather annoyed to pay 699 euros to find it was illegal LoL

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-09-2008, 08:08 PM
I don't know. Its a professional piece of software in the industry. I'd say its mainly for your own productions, and editing, more than commercial music.

I'd be rather annoyed to pay 699 euros to find it was illegal LoL

299, not 699!

Adam_F
30-09-2008, 08:14 PM
299, not 699!

Thats just the pluggin, if your using it as a VST in a host sequencer.
If you want it as a standalone its 699 ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Thats just the pluggin, if your using it as a VST in a host sequencer.
If you want it as a standalone its 699 ;)

Ah, I see....:confused: :confused: :confused: :D

DazzyD
30-09-2008, 09:10 PM

Adam is quite correct in saying that when the final mix is laid down for recording, all the audio tracks (parts that are recorded individually to make up the mix) are merged in to two tracks - left and right - to create a stereo recording. Without multi-track capable equipment and multi-track master recordings then it's pretty much impossible to remove lead vocals (or any other individual tracks for that matter). All these utilities do is dampen down the frequencies most commonly associated with vocals with varying levels of success - none of which are really any good to be honest.

I'd be very surprised if anyone on this forum manages to get their hands on original master multi-track recordings but the other option is to source multi-plex recordings where vocals are stored on the left channel and the rest of the audio on the right channel. These are quite common in the karaoke world and make vocal-removal easy. And whats more, the quality of the audio isn't affected.

Adam_F
30-09-2008, 09:15 PM
I'd be very surprised if anyone on this forum manages to get their hands on original master multi-track recordings

I can :p

Only for some new dance tracks etc... as a few of the guys I work with do professional remixes, for a few of the major labels.

Wouldn't know what to do with them though :D

DazzyD
30-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Not fancy yourself as a producer and doing your own mixes then, Adam?

I used to do them for fun and my own personal collection back in the days of the Atari STFM. Some were really good quality and once you master a few basic sampling, looping and syncing techniques then they're quite easy. Haven't really tried producing on the PC yet but I've got some good sequencing software so I might try it one day.

Adam_F
01-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Not fancy yourself as a producer and doing your own mixes then, Adam?

I used to do them for fun and my own personal collection back in the days of the Atari STFM. Some were really good quality and once you master a few basic sampling, looping and syncing techniques then they're quite easy. Haven't really tried producing on the PC yet but I've got some good sequencing software so I might try it one day.

Dabble a little with Reason 4, Ableton Live 7, and Fruity Loops but thats only because I got them for free :D

BrightLights
01-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Dabble a little with Reason 4, Ableton Live 7, and Fruity Loops but thats only because I got them for free :D

Out of interest which of those do you prefer, and why?

Adam_F
01-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Out of interest which of those do you prefer, and why?

Thats a hard question really, as they all have their own place really.

Fruity Loops is really easy to use, and great for a novice just starting out, as its so simple.
Reason always looked way too hard for me, and it wasn't until I got a masterclass one on one from Simon Grey (http://www.simongrey.com) that I realised how powerful it was, and how excellent it is. I'm still getting to grips with it, but will certainly use it more (once I get some of the refills).

Ableton Live is great for live remixing, and the slicer is perfect for taking beat extracts to use in something like Reason.

Any more info, either PM me, or start a new thread in the relevant section, as this a gone a little track since the original post.

I don't want a spanking off the Mods :D

DazzyD
03-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Although I've never used the packages mentioned, I have used an earlier version of Reason a few years ago and I found it somewhat complicated. I never really used it to it's full potential but I believe it was really powerful even then.

I've heard of Ableton and it's got a good reputation (although I'm not 100% sure what it does!) and I've never heard of Fruity Loops but it sounds like it's something to do with samples. Would that be a correct assumption?

Adam_F
04-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Fruity Loops (http://www.fruityloops.com/documents/what.html)
is a full production suite and hosts all VSTs too.