PDA

View Full Version : DJ Software for Mac - recommendations?

Megamix
11-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Any Mac laptop DJs out there?

Can anyone recommend software they use.

Have looked at everything from djay to Serato - would be interested to know of users experiences.

if all else fails I will reluctantly move to windows if thats the only way.

TIA

Megamix

Vectis
11-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Well I'm just about to move from Windows (OTS) to Mac (DJ1800) for my background / backup laptop.

No particular reason other than across the businesses and household we've recently ditched Windows in favour of OSX and this is just part of the process we're going through. It will leave us with just one windows machine running R4 - but I haven't researched alternatives yet for that one.

DJ1800 gives you 4 decks and a built-in mixer/eq should you wish to use it or can output on different channels of a multi-channel soundcard.

It's straightforward and that's all I need.

Megamix
11-10-2008, 11:51 AM
That's very interesting I must admit I thought DJ-1800 was the one I was going to plump for - but two reasons held me back - no automix at the moment (for toilet breaks/warm up) and one of the decks 'froze' when it couldn't process two startpoints. (the other decks carried on working) My other software Djay by algoriddim is a strong contender but having issues with it working with cueing my numark cm 200 usb ports as it supposed to.

Vectis
11-10-2008, 12:17 PM
That's very interesting I must admit I thought DJ-1800 was the one I was going to plump for - but two reasons held me back - no automix at the moment (for toilet breaks/warm up) and one of the decks 'froze' when it couldn't process two startpoints. (the other decks carried on working) My other software Djay by algoriddim is a strong contender but having issues with it working with cueing my numark cm 200 usb ports as it supposed to.

No - no automix but you can stack tunes up on a given deck and it'll play them in turn. As I already have a number of pre-mixed sequences used for background that's not a problem for me.

As for issues with freezing etc. not seen that, but then I've not really used it in anger just a few hours at home.

I don't use the laptop as my main playout - I have a d2 for that - so unlikely I'll be taxing it too much, and DJ1800 is perfectly good for what I need.

Megamix
11-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Having had a Cortex and freezing issues with that I dropped the idea and went back to CDS - but fed up with them now and want to go digital. The D2 seems to get favourable comments, maybe thats another avenue to explore.

Vectis
11-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Having had a Cortex and freezing issues with that I dropped the idea and went back to CDS - but fed up with them now and want to go digital. The D2 seems to get favourable comments, maybe thats another avenue to explore.

There's a small group of us on here that'll swear by the d2 - apart from one corrupt hard drive (my fault entirely) I've not experienced a problem with mine since the day I bought it (a couple of days after it launched).

There are others that'll say that the Cortex is also the best thing ever but threads of evidence with teething problems with early firmware etc. exist.

The Denon is supposedly the dogs but I've heard complaints about issues caused by firmware updates etc.

In my opinion the d2 seems to have suffered with less issues than the others and for your typical mobile party jock has all the features needed for a primary playout device at a significantly lower price than the Denon, and for not a great deal more than the Cortex. You should be aware the d2 is now obsolete and has been replaced with a newer sexier model (who's name escapes me) which is more of a challenge on the feature front for the Denon. All this means is that any d2s in 'the channel' can probably be picked up quite cheaply.

jamesh
12-10-2008, 02:57 PM
virtual DJ is available on the mac too... Not used it on mac so far but if it's anything like the windows version it will be spot on.

yourdj
12-10-2008, 09:41 PM

The Denon is supposedly the dogs but I've heard complaints about issues caused by firmware updates etc.

Does anyone know if the software for music manager has been developed for mac yet? Had mine since JAN and never used it :eek:

£760 well spent!

Will get on the case this week though as i have more time on my hands :)

Steve the DJ
13-10-2008, 09:50 AM
I always thought MegaSeg (http://www.megaseg.com/) was your only real choice for Mac DJ software.

Vectis
13-10-2008, 10:03 AM
I always thought MegaSeg (http://www.megaseg.com/) was your only real choice for Mac DJ software.

Tried the demo, didn't like it.

Just a personal taste thing - it seemed functional enough.