PDA

View Full Version : limit resistor in tweeters

mldiscos
16-10-2008, 10:00 AM
im currently refurbing a couple of cabs, and replacing main cones & all 3 tweeters at the same time, i've just look through some through some docs that say you should have a limit resistor inline between speaker input and tweeters the actual line says, "Limit Resistor" " No Limit Resistor Should Be Required With Amplifiers Up To 100 Watts, Use A 1K Resistor For Amplifiers Up To 250 Watts."

well what resistor do i need inline with amps between 300 & 500 watts a side, at 4 Ohms.

im asuming it's to stop you blowing the tweeters by sending too much voume through em, the cabs that are being rebuild are tsx-12's

excuse the piccy but it's one of the standards, slightly changed design since i bought mine, which inc 3 Tweeters instead of one.

any ideas please

TonyB
16-10-2008, 10:54 AM
The limit resister is there to limit frequencies, not power. Piezo tweeters can be damaged by high frequencies that they are not designed to handle and the resistor will prevent the higher frequencies from reaching them.

1k resistor should be fine wired in series. Just make sure it is a power resistor of at least 3w.

deltic
16-10-2008, 06:49 PM
alternatively you could put a lightbulb in series like the peavey cabs