PDA

View Full Version : DDS80 Non Writable Drive

Jay
16-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Hey guys,

I am having a minor problem with my DDS80, When I got it it came with a hard drive but I have since put in a bigger hard drive but the problem is when I powered it all up it said "non writable drive inserted but there is still a library, do your want to import the library" or something like that.

So what happens is it plays all the music fine but you can't create any playlists or anything, which is a bit annoying and i'd like to sort it.

I have searched the forums and it came up with nothing so I am sorry if this has been covered before. the DDS80 I assume works mostly the same as the D2 which I know alot of people on here use so any help would be greatly appreciated.

:beer1:

Jiggles
16-10-2008, 07:08 PM
On a pc format the drive FAT and not NTFS. It should work.

Vectis
16-10-2008, 07:24 PM
On a pc format the drive FAT and not NTFS. It should work.

Correct.

But you increase the risk of corruption and data loss. FAT isn't as forgiving as NTFS. Just bear this in mind and take care of your backups.

deltic
16-10-2008, 07:46 PM
my d2 will not write to a drive formatted ntfs,no problems with fat 32 drives

spin mobile disco
16-10-2008, 08:30 PM
A D2 cannot write to an ntfs drive as the ntfs write driver is not an openware product. if you format the drive in windows it will always replace any fat structure with the more reliable ntfs as it is the profered drivers for windows nt based systems.
You can however force a 32 bit format of a drive if you wish. But in my experience the ntfs although you cannot save changes live in a gig it is much faster and more reliable.

Excalibur
16-10-2008, 08:42 PM
I think I'm right in saying that none of the HD Controllers can WRITE to a NTFS device. This is both good and bad news, as it's more difficult to corrupt/lose information on them. Bad news, you can't put cue points, etc on them. I run mine NTFS and have not been persuaded to change to FAT32.

Jay
16-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Cheers guys never even thought about the drive format, I think for the sake of easyness I will leave it as NTFS and make playlists in the library via a laptop before hand so they are allready there.

Thanks alot fellas!:beer1: :beer1: