PDA

View Full Version : Second Cortex or different ???

ppentertainments
19-10-2008, 08:26 PM
I am now 100% digital and currently using a cortex with latop for backup. I have a 2u space left on my rack so am unsure whether to go for another cortex or different. I know everyone has there own personal preference but would like to hear of anyone has gone from cortex to say denon or numark and what they thought of the change. To be honest I am really pleased with the cortex and have no real reason to change but would like other views. :beer1:

Excalibur
19-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Snap! :D :D Exactly my situation. Just come back from BPM ( via the pub) where I got some helpful advice, which I will share.

Numark DDS 80.
Preferred option, covers all the bases £650 Too dear for me :(

D2 £300-£350
Discontinued in favour of the above, now in short supply perhaps, and probably the best of the midrange kit. It's what I KNOW I should get, as long as Rob promises to show me how to work it. :D

Denon HD 2500 £650
Rolls Royce. Sadly too hard for an old DJ to understand. :( :o

Cortex 3000 £350
A 1000 with bells and whistles. After speaking to the nice Cortex man, it became clear that they were all of no use whatsoever to me, so the likeliest best value, tried and trusted is surprise surprise..............................

Cortex HDC1000. £200
Does exactly what it says on the tin, no frills no surprises. If it ain't bust, don't fix it! ;) ( I'd probably still want /recommend a D2 though. Hopefully they will have all gone by the time I have to make the decision. :D )

Edit: The only 2U unit is the 1000, so that may make the decision for you.

ppentertainments
19-10-2008, 08:55 PM
That's the conclusions I am coming too. Can create an extra 1u of space by removing a light. What I prefer about the cortex over the others the 2 screens I must admit - looks like a cd player controller I am used to. Tried the Denon and the Cortex 3000 but to be honest the extra features do nothing for me and although liked the Denon (a lot) could not justify the extra cost when the cortex 1000 does th job for me.

Excalibur
19-10-2008, 09:05 PM
That's the conclusions I am coming too. Can create an extra 1u of space by removing a light. What I prefer about the cortex over the others the 2 screens I must admit - looks like a cd player controller I am used to. Tried the Denon and the Cortex 3000 but to be honest the extra features do nothing for me and although liked the Denon (a lot) could not justify the extra cost when the cortex 1000 does th job for me.

Is everyone reading this? Apart from the fact that Chris actually likes the Denon, this post could be an echo! Nice to know I'm not alone. :D

andyw
19-10-2008, 09:10 PM
can't help you with your decision but can someone tell me what the main difference is between the 1000 and 3000 and is the 3000 worth the extra £139.

Excalibur
19-10-2008, 09:15 PM
can't help you with your decision but can someone tell me what the main difference is between the 1000 and 3000 and is the 3000 worth the extra £139.

1U, loop, reloop, and scratch, one USB port.

To answer your second question, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andyw
19-10-2008, 09:20 PM
1U, loop, reloop, and scratch, one USB port.

To answer your second question, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

rob1963
19-10-2008, 10:33 PM
I am now 100% digital and currently using a cortex with latop for backup. I have a 2u space left on my rack so am unsure whether to go for another cortex or different. I know everyone has there own personal preference but would like to hear of anyone has gone from cortex to say denon or numark and what they thought of the change. To be honest I am really pleased with the cortex and have no real reason to change but would like other views. :beer1:

Can create an extra 1u of space by removing a light.

In that case, get a D2...and I'm sure you'll start using THAT as your main system with the Cortex as back up.

What I prefer about the cortex over the others the 2 screens I must admit - looks like a cd player controller I am used to.

Funnily enough, the Cortex's 2 screens are one of the main things which made me decide NOT to buy it.

The D2's screen is large, easy to read, full width (rather than split down the middle) and displays many lines of information (about 10, if I remember correctly).

The other thing which swung me towards the D2 was the crate facility, which is simply brilliant.

I strongly suggest you demo a D2 before deciding.

Excalibur
20-10-2008, 07:05 AM
In that case, get a D2...and I'm sure you'll start using THAT as your main system with the Cortex as back up..
Quite possibly.

Funnily enough, the Cortex's 2 screens are one of the main things which made me decide NOT to buy it..
:confused: :confused: :confused: That's the biggest reason WHY I bought it. ;)

The D2's screen is large, easy to read, full width (rather than split down the middle) and displays many lines of information (about 10, if I remember correctly).

The other thing which swung me towards the D2 was the crate facility, which is simply brilliant.

Rob's logic is faultless. Sadly his conclusions are all wrong. :p I'm sure we'd all be keen to know what anyone else thinks in the D2/1000 debate. I'd dearly love to see somebody using one at a gig. Guess we can only afford 1000's up here in the les affluent North! :sofa:

ppentertainments
20-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Guess we can only afford 1000's up here in the les affluent North! :sofa:

Very true but if I went on disco charges I would only be able to get 2 £5 portable cd players from ASDA :D :p :D

In that case, get a D2...and I'm sure you'll start using THAT as your main system with the Cortex as back up.

Funnily enough, the Cortex's 2 screens are one of the main things which made me decide NOT to buy it.

What a suprising post from you Rob - Not ! :D :p :D
Cheers rob, to be honest the crate facility is the one thing drawing me towards the D2. The one thing I do not like about the cortex is not being able to make playlists on the go.

Excalibur
20-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Cheers rob, to be honest the crate facility is the one thing drawing me towards the D2. The one thing I do not like about the cortex is not being able to make playlists on the go.

According to the blurb, you can with a Cortex. I just don't understand how. :confused: :o :o :o

Jiggles
20-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Guess we can only afford 1000's up here in the les affluent North! :sofa:

Im up north and i can afford one :D :p

ppentertainments
20-10-2008, 07:32 AM
According to the blurb, you can with a Cortex. I just don't understand how. :confused: :o :o :o

The way I read it was you can download a list of songs you 'have played'. Like you though I do not understand and can't find any instructions. Anyone got any ideas :confused: :confused:

rob1963
20-10-2008, 08:35 AM
What a suprising post from you Rob - Not ! :D :p :D

A couple of other things I'd mention.

Firstly, I understand that when searching for a song on the Cortex, you have to press the tab key first...or the track that's currently playing stops. No such problem with the D2. You just go into the search facility & search away. The only way you can stop a track from playing is by pressing the play/pause button.

Secondly, it's worth thinking about reliability. How many threads & posts have there been from people having problems with their Cortex? and how many have there been from people having problems with their D2?

I know some Cortex users will say that most of the problems experienced have been due to a dodgy hard drive rather than the Cortex itself, but if that's the case, you have to ask yourself why most of the people with dodgy hard drives seem to choose the Cortex. Can it really be coincidence?

The D2 is the best disco related item I've ever bought.

Corabar Steve
20-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Secondly, it's worth thinking about reliability. How many threads & posts have there been from people having problems with their Cortex? and how many have there been from people having problems with their D2?

Percentages Rob, precentages.

How many of our members have a D2 compared to a Cortex or HD2500?

rob1963
20-10-2008, 08:53 AM

How many of our members have a D2 compared to a Cortex or HD2500?

I have no idea, but I'd still wager that a higher percentage of Cortex users have had problems than D2 users.

Corabar Steve
20-10-2008, 08:53 AM
OK :sj:

ppentertainments
20-10-2008, 08:56 AM

Tut tut, these members that can't use a spell checker :D :D

I think your right steve. We are bound to get more 'complaints' about equipment which the majority use.

Your points are valid rob, especially about the 'play button' situation as I have been caught out with that on more than one occasion. - thankfully not as often now.

ps. please don't critisise my spelling - I know I can't spell :p

Corabar Steve
20-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Tut tut, these members that can't use a spell checker :D :D But it's evident that I know how to spell it by the quote. I just had a finger - brain interface malfunction

ps. please don't critisise my spelling - I know I can't spell :pNow would I do something like that? :sj:

critisise ?:zip: :sj:

ppentertainments
20-10-2008, 09:12 AM
But it's evident that I know how to spell it by the quote. I just had a finger - brain interface malfunction

Now would I do something like that? :sj:

critisise ?:zip: :sj:

:laughup:

Excalibur
20-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Rob, Steve, I read the forums for all three makes, and it appears now that the Cortex has less glitches presently than the other two. In any field, the first models off the line are often never right, while the last ones are bulletproof. In most cases it appears to be a software problem, and upgrades may improve or worsen the package for the user. At the moment, I'd say that reliability wise ther's no significant difference between the makes, it's all down to your personal preferences, and pocket depth.

Rob, about the tab. You can do anything you like without stoping the playing track, until that final deadly press of the enter key which immediately turns from Motorhead into The Cheeky Girls!!:eek: :eek: :D :D
You soon learn to hit the tab key without thinking, a bit like Pavlov's Dogs. ;) :D

Dragonfly
20-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Cortex bounces well from about 4ft. not tried the other two?

Excalibur
20-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Cortex bounces well from about 4ft. not tried the other two?

Possibly, but when you hit a speed bump without noticing, please be aware that when you next switch the Cortex on, it may not power up at all! :eek: :eek: Brown trouser time. :( :( Reinserting the power plug which has detached itself in the crash landing resumes norml service, thankfully. :D :D

soundtracker
20-10-2008, 09:26 AM
and of course the other thing to bear in mind - Numark have binned the D2, tells me all I need to know!

CRAZY K
20-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Is everyone reading this? Apart from the fact that Chris actually likes the Denon, this post could be an echo! Nice to know I'm not alone. :D

iVE BEEN TELLING YOU FOR YEARS

Alright--- maybe a year then:D

CRAZY K

Excalibur
20-10-2008, 09:41 AM
and of course the other thing to bear in mind - Numark have binned the D2, tells me all I need to know!
Actually it lives on! Technically they've superseded it with the more expensive higher featured DDS80. A puzzling and possibly unhelpful policy, I grant

iVE BEEN TELLING YOU FOR YEARS

Alright--- maybe a year then:D

CRAZY K

Wondered when you'd wake up. ;) :D

CRAZY K
20-10-2008, 09:53 AM
A couple of other things I'd mention.

Firstly, I understand that when searching for a song on the Cortex, you have to press the tab key first...or the track that's currently playing stops. No such problem with the D2. You just go into the search facility & search away. The only way you can stop a track from playing is by pressing the play/pause button.

I know some Cortex users will say that most of the problems experienced have been due to a dodgy hard drive rather than the Cortex itself, but if that's the case, you have to ask yourself why most of the people with dodgy hard drives seem to choose the Cortex. Can it really be coincidence?

The D2 is the best disco related item I've ever bought.

It may be Rob that the other makes are able to read corrupted or imperfect MP3s better than the Cortex.

Last week I had a request for a tune I have never tried out on the Cortex and it refused to come out and play:eek:

I should have been suspicious--I had marked ---ok--- by the track name so obviously I must have had some issues with it when putting it on the HD.

Thats down to me not the unit.

I had to reboot to get the unit going again--so I need to delete the file and put a good copy on the HD.

So yes I think MOST people with Cortex problems have had corruption or file problems rather than the machine itself which in its defence has been fantastically reliable ---I do actually have 2 and run them alternate gigs.

As Peter says-no problem selecting tracks on the playing side--just dont hit Enter:eek:

CRAZY K