PDA

View Full Version : Is this safe?

OllieJames
21-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Hey,

Sorry, excuse my ignorance but is it safe to be running 4 Acme 100w Dynamo Scanners and 2 Acme 100w Magic Gobos off the same extension cable, or is this unsafe? I'm not currently doing this, but would like to know whether it's safe before i decide on how to get power up to my lights!

Thanks,
Ollie J ;)

mldiscos
21-10-2008, 01:30 PM
it all depends on what sort of extension cable your talking about if you talkin about e.g. a 1mm extension 5mtrs long you would probably blow the fuse or melt the cable, but if you were talkin bout say 4mm cable then you would pobably get away with it. all depends on what the cables reated to.

check it out before you power up.

OllieJames
21-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Would one like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=33536&doy=search

be suitable? Obviously it'd need to be considerably longer though.

A1DL
21-10-2008, 01:44 PM
it all depends on what sort of extension cable your talking about if you talkin about e.g. a 1mm extension 5mtrs long you would probably blow the fuse or melt the cable, but if you were talkin bout say 4mm cable then you would pobably get away with it. all depends on what the cables reated to.

check it out before you power up.

Mark, please explain the physics behind your thought process :confused:

That little lot of Acne lights mentioned in the OP will, I reckon, draw around 1,000w max (600w lamps & I've allowed 400w for mechanics) - that's just over 4a @ 240v)

IET guidelines allow 1.25mm2 on a 13a extension <12m length, so I really haven't a clue why you believe the cable would melt or a 13a fuse would pop.

By the way, 4mm2 is good for up to 32a in HO7 on short runs (SP).

OllieJames
21-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Mark, please explain the physics behind your thought process :confused:

That little lot of Acne lights mentioned in the OP will, I reckon, draw around 1,000w max (600w lamps & I've allowed 400w for mechanics) - that's just over 4a @ 240v)

IET guidelines allow 1.25mm2 on a 13a extension <12m length, so I really haven't a clue why you believe the cable would melt or a 13a fuse would pop.

By the way, 4mm2 is good for up to 32a in HO7 on short runs (SP).

From what i can understand of that (lol :p) it would be safe to run as long at the fuse in the extension cable was higher than 4Amps?

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-10-2008, 01:58 PM
From what i can understand of that

Come on Tony, laymens terms please!

rob1963
21-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Hey,

Sorry, excuse my ignorance but is it safe to be running 4 Acme 100w Dynamo Scanners and 2 Acme 100w Magic Gobos off the same extension cable, or is this unsafe? I'm not currently doing this, but would like to know whether it's safe before i decide on how to get power up to my lights!

Thanks,
Ollie J ;)

Hi Ollie,

That lot comes to 600 watts, plus you need to add a bit more for the motors.

Therefore, that will draw about 850 watts or 3.5 amps, and you can draw 3,000 watts or 13 amps from a single mains socket, so assuming your extension cable and it's plug & fuse have a sufficient rating, then there will be no problem at all.

OllieJames
21-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi Ollie,

That lot comes to 800 watts, plus you need to add a bit more for the motors.

Therefore, that will draw about 850 watts or 3.5 amps, and you can draw 3,000 watts or 13 amps from a single mains socket, so assuming your extension cable and it's plug & fuse have a sufficient rating, then there will be no problem at all.

Ahh, fantastic :) Just out of interest, how do you work out how many watts convert to how many amps?

That's solved my problem then, so aslong as i run my lights from a serperate outlet from my p.a (which i do!) and the plug has a 13a fuse in it, it will be okay?

Thanks for your help everyone :)

A1DL
21-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Ahh, fantastic :) Just out of interest, how do you work out how many watts convert to how many amps?

w/v=a

eg 3,000 watts / 240 volts = 12.5amps

OllieJames
21-10-2008, 02:28 PM

rob1963
21-10-2008, 02:57 PM
so as long as i run my lights from a serperate outlet from my p.a (which i do!) and the plug has a 13a fuse in it, it will be okay?

Correct...as long as you don't draw more than 3,000 watts or 13 amps from a single socket.

:)

Jiggles
21-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Coh I learnt all that in my first year of high school :D 5 years ago :eek:

OllieJames
21-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Coh I learnt all that in my first year of high school :D 5 years ago :eek:

The teacher probably told us.. i just didn't listen or forgot LOL.

Anyway, thanks for your help everybody! :)

Jiggles
21-10-2008, 03:27 PM
The teacher probably told us.. i just didn't listen or forgot LOL.

Anyway, thanks for your help everybody! :)

Thats helpful :D

OllieJames
21-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Thats helpful :D

Whoops :o

A1DL
21-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Correct...as long as you don't draw more than 3,000 watts or 13 amps from a single socket.

:)

assuming it is a 13 amp socket, Arthur :p

Excalibur
21-10-2008, 04:01 PM
assuming it is a 13 amp socket, Arthur :p

Other sockets are available. :D That should cover that, eh? I've plugged into a few different types. ;)

OllieJames
21-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Other sockets are available. :D That should cover that, eh? I've plugged into a few different types. ;)

LOL.

Vectis
21-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Don't forget to allow an overhead for inrush, especially with all those hungry halogens and HIDs we use...

Personally I'd never try to stuff more than 10A of load down a 13A wire unless I could switch each effect on individually along the way.

A1DL
21-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Personally I'd never try to stuff more than 10A of load down a 13A wire unless I could switch each effect on individually along the way.

A 13a fuse has a wide tolerance to handle larger current draws for a (supposedly) short period of time.

I certainly don't condone overloading, indeed am one to normally provide a size up on the IET minimums at events. However one pair of eyes & legs cannot always have full control over what exhibitors/stallholders decide to plug in that's not on the inventory, and I have on several occasions monitored 16-18a draw at the distro (for more than a few seconds) on what is fused at 13a at the stall.

Jiggles
21-10-2008, 05:52 PM
You should all see my bedroom:D Im amazed that it hasnt went BOOM! the amount of things that are plugged in! I almost need my own loop from the consumer unit :D

A1DL
21-10-2008, 06:23 PM
You should all see my bedroom:D Im amazed that it hasnt went BOOM! the amount of things that are plugged in! I almost need my own loop from the consumer unit :D

the amount of things is irrelevant, what's the current draw Callum?

Jiggles
21-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Im my dads words: too much! TBH dont know must be less that 13A or it would be up in smoke by now!

EDIT!:

I draw about 9A at peak times!

A1DL
21-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Im my dads words: too much! TBH dont know must be less that 13A or it would be up in smoke by now!

EDIT!:

I draw about 9A at peak times!

Callum, similar to my question to Mark in Post No.4 of this thread, why would it be "up in smoke"? I imagine you are drawing current through 13a sockets on a ring main protected by a 32a MCB at the distribution box.
You have indicated you have many appliances, so there are probably other fuses in four way blocks/adapters/etc offering additional protection at earlier stages.

So, why are you talking about smoke?:confused:

Excalibur
21-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Callum, similar to my question to Mark in Post No.4 of this thread, why would it be "up in smoke"? I imagine you are drawing current through 13a sockets on a ring main protected by a 32a MCB at the distribution box.
You have indicated you have many appliances, so there are probably other fuses in four way blocks/adapters/etc offering additional protection at earlier stages.

So, why are you talking about smoke?:confused:

Dramatic effect? Poetic Licence? :confused: :D :D

Jiggles
21-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Yes and yes:D:p and it seemed to me that it would be a hell of alot more!

Kernow
21-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Ollie,

You should be perfectly ok, the lamps in all your lights are 12 volt/ 100watt ! ;).
The cable fuses will be rated at 240 volts.

It's always important though to ensure that extensions are fully uncoiled when in use. They usually have current ratings (amps) for wound and unwound and the two can be very different !! :eek:
I have actually witnessed someone burning out a cable and melting the reel, by plugging a 2kW electric heater in while it was rolled up. :eek:

Callum, hope you're not smoking in your bedroom, sounds like it's an enclosed workplace !! :D ..... and it would be illegal ;)

nigelwright7557
21-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey,

Thanks,
Ollie J ;)

Yes so long as the extension lead is rated at 3amps or more.

I always buy 13amp extension leads so i know i can connect around 3000 watts before it blows the fuse.

501damian501
21-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Yes so long as the extension lead is rated at 3amps or more.

what use would a 3amp wire be to an 3000watt load ?

oh yes i have seen melted mains before, some lardo fought it would be good to coil up the main for the waltzer, i didnt know untill we got busy and all the trips went flick, could of caused a serious fire. LARDOS

nigelwright7557
21-10-2008, 11:40 PM

I was answering the OP's question !
600watts is what he is using and that equates to about 3amps.

I then added I would go for a 13 amp extension which will cope with upto 3000 watts.

A1DL
21-10-2008, 11:54 PM

oh yes i have seen melted mains before, some lardo fought it would be good to coil up the main for the waltzer, i didnt know untill we got busy and all the trips went flick, could of caused a serious fire. LARDOS

any chance of translating that into English, Damian?

OllieJames
22-10-2008, 08:20 AM
any chance of translating that into English, Damian?

haha :D

One Vision
22-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Hya Ollie like everybody has said you will be fine, but always plug such as smoke machines in to a separate socket as they average the same alone as what you sap with your lights.

501damian501
22-10-2008, 09:52 AM
depends what size smoke machine you have, you could get away with having a big strobe light and a half shed load of scanners on the same wire, but make sure you black out the scanners, before blasting the strobe.

JAMdisco
22-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Ah, the pleasure of using LED's - I never even have to think about it :D

OllieJames
22-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Hya Ollie like everybody has said you will be fine, but always plug such as smoke machines in to a separate socket as they average the same alone as what you sap with your lights.

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your reply! The issue with that is, that i'd need 3 mains sockets then... 1) lights 2) sound 3) fogger ...

depends what size smoke machine you have, you could get away with having a big strobe light and a half shed load of scanners on the same wire, but make sure you black out the scanners, before blasting the strobe.

Don't use strobes :p

Ah, the pleasure of using LED's - I never even have to think about it :D

Haha! I'm thinking of getting some LEDs, maybe to replace the magic gobos.

ppentertainments
22-10-2008, 11:41 AM
I have got an 8 gang extension with a power meter on it so I can see how much I am using - not sure where I got it but will dig around in my receipts to see if I can find out where. I always use it, although not really neccesary, when connection multiple items to one socket.

As a general rule though, I plug my amp and playout into 1 socket and lighting and accessories into another.

A1DL
22-10-2008, 11:46 AM
As a general rule though, I plug my amp and playout into 1 socket and lighting and accessories into another.

For small setups it is certainly a good practice to connect noise to one outlet and LX to another, not only to prevent overloading, but also in the event of a problem, it is extremely useful in the heat of the moment (packed dancefloor), to have some clues as to where the problem may lie, and if the problem is your problem or elsewhere (if you lose both circuits, it's unlikely to be related to an equipment fault, if you lose the LX circuit but still have sound, it's a good clue something's wrong with an effect or switching pack, etc)

Tony