PDA

View Full Version : Incompatibility

Excalibur
21-10-2008, 08:09 PM
No it's not about relationship problems. :D :D
Right, are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin. I'd suggest you get a cuppa, this is not short. :(
I recently got a KAM LED 800 MKII panel ( this one. )http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR216572
as I prefer its appearance and functions to ParCans. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have got a different make! :mad: At DJSN I saw a heap of them linked up in sync, which was my intention. I ordered another one online, and due to a foul up it was not in stock to be delivered. So after a few phone calls I found out that they're not plentiful, and on back order. Electromusic in Doncaster said they had one, but it was a MKI. I set off to see them, and we tried to link them without success. Cue a phone call to KAM, who said yes they will, MKII as Master. Still no joy, but Electromusic had TWO MKI's, and we could link them. So after much deliberation, a deal was struck where I bought both of these at an advantageous price, and used them Friday and Saturday. At BPM on Sunday, I spoke to a man on the KAM stand who knew all about this issue, and why it wouldn't work! :bang:
To cut a long story short, KAM deny giving the wrong advice, I can't sync all three units, I can't get matching units (not for a while, and not without spending even more money)
One solution, which I was always aiming for is to go DMX, but I gather that I'll need an expensive controller to get anywhere near the effects the units can do standalone, and it will be difficult. I have got someone looking for a possible solution, so let's hope the lad comes up with the goods. ;) :D
Sensible thoughts and observations please. Thanks.

super-hero
21-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Did they say why the units were not compatible.

Could it be something as simple as switching the hot connector on the xlr cable. Just thinking that if they don't work stand alone together, then dmx may give different results between the two different units.

Excalibur
21-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Did they say why the units were not compatible.

Could it be something as simple as switching the hot connector on the xlr cable. Just thinking that if they don't work stand alone together, then dmx may give different results between the two different units.

The MKII actually has less functionality than the MKI which appears to be a better unit! :eek: They appear to be almost identical, except for what may be a software difference, I'm only guessing. I haven't done an in depth trial yet, nor read the manuals from cover to cover, while messing with cables and such. ;) That may yet happen.

Sapphire Disco
21-10-2008, 08:38 PM
I've got a MKII if it's any good to you ?

Excalibur
21-10-2008, 09:04 PM
I've got a MKII if it's any good to you ?

Well yes. Absolutely. Price might be the only stumbling block. ;) I seem to remember being unable to PM you recently, so if you wouldn't mind doing the honours. I may yet find a solution, but I'm certainly interested. Thanks.

Sapphire Disco
21-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi Peter

Did you get my PM ?

I sent one but i don't think it's gone through.

Excalibur
21-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi Peter

Did you get my PM ?

As I sit here, no. I keep getting called away, and we're presently modifying the broadband, so it's laptop only for now, which means I can't send or receive emails, until I install something, but I can surf.

Penfold42
21-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Sorry to hear Pete....:(

I shall have a chat with you on Friday night over a beer...with a possibility of having a solution for you..;) ;) :D

Bit vague, I know......but that's me...:p :D

Excalibur
21-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi Peter

Did you get my PM ?

Yesa. Reply sent.We may be converging?

Sorry to hear Pete....:(

I shall have a chat with you on Friday night over a beer...with a possibility of having a solution for you..;) ;) :D

Bit vague, I know......but that's me...:p :D

Thanks in advance Tony. If so I may let you off that Pint or two you owe for the Maya. I'm at a loss to know how selling me a Cortex will help though! :confused: :confused:
There's going to be more business done on Friday than BPM at this rate. :D :D :D :beer1: :beer1:

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Peter, Paul is also attending on Friday, so if you have any deals or business, then that might be the time to arrange it.

I have both of your phone numbers should you wish me to PM either of them.

dmckaraoke
22-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Having had both Versions of these above lights the mkII are way better more dmx values and when in using them with controller great light IMO steer away from the MKI

JAMdisco
22-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Having had both Versions of these above lights the mkII are way better more dmx values and when in using them with controller great light IMO steer away from the MKI

Surely that info has been given a little bit too late! :p

Excalibur
22-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Peter, Paul is also attending on Friday, so if you have any deals or business, then that might be the time to arrange it.

I have both of your phone numbers should you wish me to PM either of them.

Book me a slot in the Car Park please. I could be busy.;) :D
More to follow.

Penfold42
22-10-2008, 09:55 PM
More to follow.

Photos of ''famous'' people in the car park doing dodgy deals.......got to be one for 'News Of The World'........:D :D :D

Excalibur
22-10-2008, 10:22 PM

I'm not going to go into this at the moment, cos I've got in late, connected the wireless dongle after shouting at it a lot, so I'll make contact with you soon for a chat if that's OK. ;)

Surely that info has been given a little bit too late! :p
As he didn't know I needed his input on the matter until after I'd bought them, I'll let him off. :D

More to follow.

Photos of ''famous'' people in the car park doing dodgy deals.......got to be one for 'News Of The World'........:D :D :D

If it carries on at this rate, there could be more folk in the Bring and Buy in the Car Park than at the Disco. :eek:

super-hero
23-10-2008, 12:08 AM
Peter, Paul, all you need is Mary to turn up, and then it's karaoke..

Sorry, my attempt at humour.

Excalibur
26-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Update: I now possess two MKI'S, and two MKII's. Each unit will sync with its twin, but not its cousin.
I assume that DMX signals simply run as if the cable were continuous, rather than in and out of each unit? (If you see what I mean. I can run a MKII either end of the chain, through the MKI's, and still each twin syncs, the cousins don't.:confused: )
I ran them last night as two pairs, and really lit the room well, but still with more action than Par Cans. :approve: :approve:
Must PM Tony for his cunning plan.
Paul, thanks for the second MKII, it gives me more options, and time to think.
I've now got three Spin3's linked as well, so the lights are moving forward. Just need one more Revo Roll, and I'm there. I'll then have options to mix and match what I need. I can see many small gigs with one Kam, and Two Revos.

Edit: I can foresee a trial of DMXing all the KAMS together, to see how they run as Par Cans.