PDA

View Full Version : Karaoke - OK, I just might...

Steve the DJ
28-10-2008, 12:50 PM
...consider offering it from next year.

I have noticed an increase recently of enquiries (for Weddings) who want an element of Karaoke during the evening.

Also I have had a number of occasions recently were guests have asked to sing (also at the clients request) and I have had to play the normal track at a lower volume for them to sing over.

So I am thinking of investing in some discs to cover the main "classics" and wanted some advice on which are the best to get.

I already own OtsAV so I can quite happily play MP3/CD-G files through it but I would also need some pointers on a small mixer with the required features (Behringer perhaps?) and some sort of limiter to protect the system.

I may even go as far as creating a separate system completely using a couple of dedicated Karaoke players like the Bluelaser DVG-888U, I'm not sure yet.

So any suggestions?

CRAZY K
28-10-2008, 04:34 PM
...consider offering it from next year.

I have noticed an increase recently of enquiries (for Weddings) who want an element of Karaoke during the evening.

Also I have had a number of occasions recently were guests have asked to sing (also at the clients request) and I have had to play the normal track at a lower volume for them to sing over.

So I am thinking of investing in some discs to cover the main "classics" and wanted some advice on which are the best to get.

I already own OtsAV so I can quite happily play MP3/CD-G files through it but I would also need some pointers on a small mixer with the required features (Behringer perhaps?) and some sort of limiter to protect the system.

I may even go as far as creating a separate system completely using a couple of dedicated Karaoke players like the Bluelaser DVG-888U, I'm not sure yet.

So any suggestions?

Im trialling Kowboy Karaoke shortly at Line Dances and Western Evenings although Weddings and Pubs I am avoiding as people get so drunk.

So whats the limiter then--just a cut out if its too loud--I was thinking of keeping my hand near the fader just in case:D :D :D

How much would you charge for the extra facility --im going to go for £100 even though Darren confirms £50 seems to be the market rate.:D
CRAZY K

Steve the DJ
28-10-2008, 06:33 PM
So whats the limiter then--just a cut out if its too loud--I was thinking of keeping my hand near the fader just in case:D :D :D

:D

Nah, I was advised for the sake of my sound system to get something like this:

http://www.planetdj.com/images/MDX1600.JPG

How much would you charge for the extra facility --im going to go for £100 even though Darren confirms £50 seems to be the market rate.:D

I don't know to be honest, I only see it as an "add on" and haven't really decided how much I need to spend yet.

CRAZY K
28-10-2008, 07:16 PM

Nah, I was advised for the sake of my sound system to get something like this:

http://www.planetdj.com/images/MDX1600.JPG

What make is that and how much do those cost approx out of interest--

LOOKS EXPENSIVE :eek:

Do other KJs use these?

I was more concerned about Microphone damage :eek:

CRAZY K

Jiggles
28-10-2008, 07:30 PM
http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=1575 ??

Penfold42
28-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi Steven,

After Friday nights entertainment....I too am thinking this.....:)
I'll be watching with interest....:)

DJ INDIE
28-10-2008, 10:39 PM
I started offering it a few months ago - its another string to your bow and can swing a gig in your favour.

Im no singer, and I state to clients that I have all equipment etc but I dont do the singing as a 'traditional' karaoke guy might do. Never had anyone complain.

Be prepared for drunks shouting/screaming down your mics though - I got 3 behringer mics for £30 for events where theyre not going to be treated with the greatest care...

Definitely worth a go though... I didnt even buy that much extra kit - just a mic mixer really...

501damian501
29-10-2008, 02:03 AM
bluelaser 888u player for back up
behringer fx mixer with at least 4 mircophone inputs
http://www.behringer.com/1204FX/index.cfm?lang=ENG or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Behringer-XENYX-1222FX-Mixer-Mixing-Desk-EFFECTS_W0QQitemZ260306389749QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem260306389749&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 with the 1222fx you get an feedback detection thing built in.
but theirs a kam mixer, but i forgot the model number.
microphones
lcd moniter.

thats basicly that, i fought you couldnt sing tone ? , i do recall telling you to add karaoke to your system :D

young uns of today EH

as for disks sunflys or soundchoice are among the most popular, please beware of the dodgy american karaoke packs, offering you 30plus disks for next to nothing.

Steve the DJ
29-10-2008, 08:27 AM
After Friday nights entertainment....I too am thinking this.....:) I'll be watching with interest....:)

That's exactly what got me thinking that it might be worth at least offering something. I blame Darren...:devil:

Im no singer, and I state to clients that I have all equipment etc but I dont do the singing as a 'traditional' karaoke guy might do. Never had anyone complain.

Nor am I...:D

Be prepared for drunks shouting/screaming down your mics though - I got 3 behringer mics for £30 for events where theyre not going to be treated with the greatest care...

I have seen those Berry mics and thought they could be a good option. I also have a KAM UHF 1940 mic set which I can use.

The screaming bit is why I thought I would need to introduce a limiter!

bluelaser 888u player for back up
behringer fx mixer with at least 4 mircophone inputs
http://www.behringer.com/1204FX/index.cfm?lang=ENG or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Behringer-XENYX-1222FX-Mixer-Mixing-Desk-EFFECTS_W0QQitemZ260306389749QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem260306389749&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 with the 1222fx you get an feedback detection thing built in.
but theirs a kam mixer, but i forgot the model number.
microphones
lcd moniter.

Thanks for that, I am currently thinking about a 4U ABS case with a Behringer mixer (on a 1U sliding shelf I already have), a limiter and a Bluelaser player (maybe 2), that way I can use it for other things as well.

...as for disks sunflys or soundchoice are among the most popular, please beware of the dodgy american karaoke packs, offering you 30plus disks for next to nothing.

Ahhh that's good to know, I was looking at some of the American stuff on eBay!

Someone else I know recommended Sunfly, I'll take a closer look.

501damian501
29-10-2008, 09:06 AM
the gold series from sunfly are a good way to build up a good collection £6.99 plus free postage on ebay. i offer karaoke with all my packages and charge no extra, but a prehand message off the client is good, so arangments can be made, no point getting mircophone stands out if no one is going to sing.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-10-2008, 10:23 AM
That's exactly what got me thinking that it might be worth at least offering something. I blame Darren...:devil:

Steve

I spend most of my time actively discouraging karaoke at weddings as I have found it just doesn't work unless they are really into it.

Steve the DJ
29-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Steve

I spend most of my time actively discouraging karaoke at weddings as I have found it just doesn't work unless they are really into it.

A fair point, I can think of nothing worse at a Wedding than Karaoke, although I am actually starting a second brand to focus more on other events such as Birthdays etc. and I was thinking of pushing it through that.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-10-2008, 10:30 AM
A fair point, I can think of nothing worse at a Wedding than Karaoke, although I am actually starting a second brand to focus more on other events such as Birthdays etc. and I was thinking of pushing it through that.

Nah, just doesn't work at birthday parties. :bag:

501damian501
29-10-2008, 10:35 AM
just intergrate it into your system, so if someone wants to sing they can.

CRAZY K
29-10-2008, 10:42 AM

Thats a lot of work and expense for maybe no return?

I think you need to be more focussed if its going to cost serious money.

I can see where Darren is coming from---:D

and he should know!

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-10-2008, 10:42 AM

And also, you can intergrate screens, effects units, mics and stands too...

501damian501
29-10-2008, 10:44 AM
virtual dj most of us have that anyway, people are adding moniters to their rigs or stands, mics take up no room, effects units are 1u.

i seem to be the mulit lad of the family, my grandad doing karaokes and my cusin doing weddings then me extracting work from them both :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-10-2008, 10:46 AM
virtual dj most of us have that anyway, people are adding moniters to their rigs or stands, mics take up no room, effects units are 1u

And you honestly think that would take no extra time to set up or there wouldn't be extra expense involved?

Think it through Damian.

501damian501
29-10-2008, 10:47 AM
flicking acouple of power switches and plugging in acouple of extra mics, really 5hours graff

Steve the DJ
29-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Nah, just doesn't work at birthday parties. :bag:

I would stick to Weddings if I had a choice but I have a few things going on at the mo and need to start filling some Fridays so thought I would branch out a little.

Besides, Friday night TV is nearly as bad as Saturday these days... :eek:

501damian501
29-10-2008, 11:03 AM
thats right, branch out, hence my business name leisure and not entertainment, means i can branch out more

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-10-2008, 11:05 AM
thats right, branch out, hence my business name leisure and not entertainment, means i can branch out more

Damian

Would you stop posting unrelated rubbish.

You really don't have a clue about karaoke if you think it just involves plugging in a couple of extra mics.

501damian501
29-10-2008, 11:08 AM
i dont have aclue about karaoke, ok then darren and your the expert ?, with old grandad behide me i know an awful lot about karaoke thanks, and i learnt well off him plus another karaoke jock in birmingham where i was living for a little bit.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-10-2008, 11:10 AM
i dont have aclue about karaoke, ok then darren and your the expert ?, with old grandad behide me i know an awful lot about karaoke thanks, and i learnt well off him plus another karaoke jock in birmingham where i was living for a little bit.

Don't be childish Damian.

I have been supplying karaoke for almost 20 years, so yes I do have experience in the matter and know it takes extra time and expense to set it up.

501damian501
29-10-2008, 11:17 AM
and because i havent had 20years experiance, i basicly dont have aclue ?

whats more expensive about having a programe already which can do karaoke good enough ?

and i use a mixer with effects everywhere i go because i like to use delay on my mic.

so to me it dont take any extra, as its all flight cased together.

ppentertainments
29-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Totally agree about no karaoke at weddings. However I have 4 weddings booked for next year where the bride/groom/guest are 'X-Factor wannabes' and have asked if they can do a bit of karaoke at the beginning of the night. If thats what the customer wants - thats what they get.:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-10-2008, 11:23 AM
i basicly dont have aclue ?

Never a truer word spoken. :sj:

501damian501
29-10-2008, 11:26 AM
maybe we could meet up for a little IQ test darren ?, blackbird leys sound good location for one ?

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-10-2008, 11:27 AM
maybe we could meet up for a little IQ test darren ?, blackbird leys sound good location for one ?

Maybe you could stop spouting rubbish and spoiling this forum Damian.

501damian501
29-10-2008, 11:29 AM
your the one making false statements about me, whats wrong with blackbird leys only down the road from reading, just for the record, i must be doing something right, as am nice and warm in my OWN home this winter and no longer living with mummy like some lads my age.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-10-2008, 11:32 AM
your the one making false statements about me, whats wrong with blackbird leys only down the road from reading

I have never made false statements about you and I am not interested in meeting you. Now back on topic please.

Corabar Steve
29-10-2008, 01:28 PM
so to me it dont take any extra, as its all flight cased together.

What, including the screens???