PDA

View Full Version : A silly question

cara
10-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi all

I'm not sure if this is a silly question, if it is please excuse me

if i wanted to hook up the output of my karaoke monitor to a big screen in a pub how would i do it?

is it just a case of connecting a vga cable to the back of the big screen?

currently i have a 4 port vga splitter that can split the output signal so i can clone the output of monitor 1 onto 4 different monitors?

i'm thinking i'd need a pretty big vga cable though, what do you think?

or, is there any wireless options available?

thanks for any help offered

501damian501
10-11-2008, 01:14 PM
thats if the tv has vga input, i think a vga to hdmi cable is what you may need though.

ppentertainments
10-11-2008, 01:26 PM
easiest way is if you have a component output (same as normal phono input/output). Most karaoke machine have this as does most televisions. You will get people arguing that the picture quality is poor compared to say hdmi but unless you look at 2 different connections side by side you will not notice the difference. Using component leads makes it easier to use in long distances compared to scart/vga/hdmi and cheaper too

501damian501
10-11-2008, 02:01 PM
or s video ?

cara
10-11-2008, 02:07 PM
thanks guys

is there no wireless option available do you think?

imagine if the big screen was on the other side of the room where i was set up, i'd need a pretty big cable ;0)

501damian501
10-11-2008, 02:55 PM
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=115137 i think this system would work with a karaoke dvd player,as most of them now have s video in the back. cheers

p.s what help would a screen be the other end of the room ?

DazzyD
10-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi all

I'm not sure if this is a silly question, if it is please excuse me

There's no such thing as a silly question - if you need an answer just ask!

if i wanted to hook up the output of my karaoke monitor to a big screen in a pub how would i do it?

I'm assuming you're using a PC or Laptop so it depends on the video output options of your machine

is it just a case of connecting a vga cable to the back of the big screen?

currently i have a 4 port vga splitter that can split the output signal so i can clone the output of monitor 1 onto 4 different monitors?

i'm thinking i'd need a pretty big vga cable though, what do you think?

It's a possibility. VGA extension cables can be quite expensive, though. It may be better using an alternative method.

or, is there any wireless options available?

See Damo's link below!

thanks for any help offered

:)

easiest way is if you have a component output (same as normal phono input/output). Most karaoke machine have this as does most televisions. You will get people arguing that the picture quality is poor compared to say hdmi but unless you look at 2 different connections side by side you will not notice the difference. Using component leads makes it easier to use in long distances compared to scart/vga/hdmi and cheaper too

When Cara mentions VGA, Chris, I'm assuming she's using a PC/Laptop. A CD+G player linked up to a video splitter via composite/phono leads would be the easy solution but she'd need a PCMCIA or external video card with these connectors to do it on the PC unless she's really lucky and has such a card built-in.

or s video ?

S-Video would be my choice but you need to make sure you have the right S-Video cable as there are different types (as I discovered much to my annoyance when I bought the wrong cable and couldn't get the image in colour - not the best thing when doing karaoke!)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=115137 i think this system would work with a karaoke dvd player,as most of them now have s video in the back. cheers

This seems a nifty piece of kit but I'm not sure what the quality would be like at that price. Also I feel there may be a bit of a delay between the sending and receiving so I'm not quite sure about it's use for karaoke.

p.s what help would a screen be the other end of the room ?

I used to do a venue where there screens all around the place. I used to link the video directly in to there system, though, so I had no worries about extensions or cabling.