PDA

View Full Version : Starcloth Advice ...

Bridge
11-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi all, just after your thoughts regarding Starcloths. I have been using a Zoom starcloth on my 4ft Ultimax stand for the last 12 months. I have had to re-solder most of the joints in the starcloth (within the first month) as they were so shoddy. For that reason, and the fact that I don't like the creased shiny material, I'm looking to change and upgrade.

I don't want an S&H boothe as they are too big (and expensive). I'm not keen on the cloths where the LEDs light up in rows (Prolight I think??). I'd like to be able to DMX it. I would like it to fit neatly on the Ultimax bar attachment (which the zoom cloth does not!!).

With that wish list - what are your thoughts? Should I just give up and buy some nice thick black curtains!!

OllieJames
11-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi all, just after your thoughts regarding Starcloths. I have been using a Zoom starcloth on my 4ft Ultimax stand for the last 12 months. I have had to re-solder most of the joints in the starcloth (within the first month) as they were so shoddy. For that reason, and the fact that I don't like the creased shiny material, I'm looking to change and upgrade.

I don't want an S&H boothe as they are too big (and expensive). I'm not keen on the cloths where the LEDs light up in rows (Prolight I think??). I'd like to be able to DMX it. I would like it to fit neatly on the Ultimax bar attachment (which the zoom cloth does not!!).

With that wish list - what are your thoughts? Should I just give up and buy some nice thick black curtains!!

Hi,

From memory there's quite a few topics on this already... so the search tool may come in handy!

I use a ultimax curtain, which is TERRIBLE! So i'm also after a star cloth. If i bump into one that suits your criteria, i'll let you know.

JAMdisco
11-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I would definately stick to a starcloth - I used to use black material and now I have a starcloth IMO it looks much classier.

Mine is the Prolight one and although I've only had it around 6 months, I've had no problems with it. It does light them in rows as you specify but generally I just have mine all on. This, suprisingly, has had most of the comments over any of my other lighting so would definately not part with it or replace it with plain cloth.

I know I've proabaly not been much help but just answering your last question as to whether to go 'back to black' :D

OllieJames
11-11-2008, 03:15 PM
I was put off by them because of the price, but now alot of them have come down, so much more tempting.

Vectis
11-11-2008, 03:23 PM
My Prolight cloth has given me so much grief lately that I just replaced it with the NJD one, and boy am I impressed with it. Only cost around £90 (CPC) and it's a fabulous quality piece of kit alongside the prolight.

It's proper serge cloth (not the shiny plasticky stuff) and the controllers have way more options and flexibility than the old one. The controllers are cascadable from a single handset so my skirt cloth will work in conjunction with my backdrop cloth (on the odd occasion it gets used).

Without testing it to destruction out on the road, I'd say from first use that the NJD is in the order of 5x better suited for the task than the prolight.

Bargain.

Dynamic Entertainment
11-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Just out of interest, (if you know) how well does the NJD cloth fit on the 4 foot Ultimax stand?

Excalibur
11-11-2008, 03:43 PM
My Prolight cloth has given me so much grief lately that I just replaced it with the NJD one, and boy am I impressed with it. Only cost around £90 (CPC) and it's a fabulous quality piece of kit alongside the prolight.

It's proper serge cloth (not the shiny plasticky stuff) and the controllers have way more options and flexibility than the old one. The controllers are cascadable from a single handset so my skirt cloth will work in conjunction with my backdrop cloth (on the odd occasion it gets used).

Without testing it to destruction out on the road, I'd say from first use that the NJD is in the order of 5x better suited for the task than the prolight.

Bargain.

Thanks for that. I had seen reviews recommending NJD, and it's nice to hear from who agree. If and when I get one, I will have to make sure it's NJD.

Sapphire Disco
11-11-2008, 03:46 PM
I would hold fire I have heard someone is going to bring out a Boothe smaller lighter & cheaper than the S&H boothe.
Ask HTFR they might know.

JAMdisco
11-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for that. I had seen reviews recommending NJD, and it's nice to hear from who agree. If and when I get one, I will have to make sure it's NJD.

Do they do ones that fit around a pool table? :p ;) :D

Adam_F
11-11-2008, 03:51 PM
I would hold fire I have heard someone is going to bring out a Boothe smaller lighter & cheaper than the S&H boothe.
Ask HTFR they might know.

:D

I will know, but we're still awaiting a prototype at the moment. Should be before Christmas all going well.

Excalibur
11-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Do they do ones that fit around a pool table? :p ;) :D

When they do, I'm having one. :D

(That's an in-joke, folks. ;) One of my residencies requires you to set up on the Pool Table! :eek: Great for standing on to rig the lights. :D Sadly lacking in the off the shelf skirt range. :( )

Bridge
11-11-2008, 04:38 PM
It sounds as though the NJD cloth is worth a go! I did a search on the forum a few weeks ago and whilst there were a few discussions, I'm keen to hear from people that are using the things and have had any experiences good or bad. Thanks for your input guys. The only downside on the NJD is that it isn't DMXable. It would be nice to have everything controlled in one place.

Adam_F
11-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Another vote for the NJD one here too.
Same price as the Prolight one, but looks far better, as its serge wool, and more controllable.

I personally don't think the lack of DMX is a problem, it'd be hard to sync it with a light show anyway! You can link the cloths up too, so if your using more that one, they'll all work as one.

One Vision
11-11-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm surprised that Ultimax haven't brought out a decent star-cloth that fits the extension curtain yet.
I like the idea of the star-cloths but just don't like how they fit the deck stands, if the stands were deeper then you may have a chance of having it looking tidy as you would have a bit more room to drape the wires down the front without the skirt bulging as with most of the flight cases they hang over the stand.

I haven't seen the type of wire they use on star-cloths but have that fear of turning up at a gig to find leds not working due to the wire snapping when folding up, how much of an issue is this?

Vectis
11-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Problem I had with the Prolight was not the cables in the cloth or the LEDs but in fact the joint between the wire and the controller - I must've resoldered it half a dozen times and completely changed the DIN plug once.

Now a few LEDs have gone and a few of the tabs are ripped I thought it was beginning to look a little shabby. So over to NJD.

Worse case scenario if you get to site and there's a problem with the cloth? Don't switch it on. Then it's a curtain with dots on. :o

andyw
11-11-2008, 05:08 PM
When they do, I'm having one. :D

(That's an in-joke, folks. ;) One of my residencies requires you to set up on the Pool Table! :eek: Great for standing on to rig the lights. :D Sadly lacking in the off the shelf skirt range. :( )

do you have any problems with cueing:laughup:

pagan_flame
11-11-2008, 08:01 PM
I have an NJD one: as no-one has put which one it is, the one for a 4ft deckstand is the NJ270A (http://www.njd.co.uk/product.aspx?prod=nj270a).

Since buying it, I have changed my Giraffe stand for a 1.7m Ultimax. I have bought the deck curtain kit for the front, and simply attach the NJD starcloth to it with Bulldog clips... I have had to safety pin the ties around the back to tidy it up though.

vvv ...Like this... vvv

ppentertainments
11-11-2008, 08:27 PM
I will admit of not actually seeing one in action ,but what puts me off starloths is IMO there are not enough leds for the size of cloth. Am sure someone wll correct me or support me in this.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-11-2008, 08:40 PM
The S&H looks way better than the others because of the fact there are less leds crowded on there IMO.

ppentertainments
11-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Am awaiting a e-mail from S&H and my main decision is actually whether or not to get the led cloth or a plain black one. The plain black will be too dark I think but have never actually seen a starcloth in action so ??? Know what answer is - go and have a look !

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Am awaiting a e-mail from S&H and my main decision is actually whether or not to get the led cloth or a plain black one. The plain black will be too dark I think but have never actually seen a starcloth in action so ??? Know what answer is - go and have a look !

The led cloth is very bright in comparison to the pealight cloth which is what I have. The leds are a bit of a pig to change too whereas the pealights are easy.

ppentertainments
11-11-2008, 08:56 PM
The led cloth is very bright in comparison to the pealight cloth which is what I have. The leds are a bit of a pig to change too whereas the pealights are easy.

Cheers Darren, will bear that in mind. Have asked S&H if they have any customers/suppliers nearer home so I can have a look. The actual booth is no problem it is the cover am unsure about and paying £xxx it needs to be right first time :D

OllieJames
12-11-2008, 07:35 PM

Go and have a look... :D :p

Charlie Brown
12-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Where can you buy the NJD one for 90 pounds?

ppentertainments
12-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Where can you buy the NJD one for 90 pounds?

http://www.electromarket.co.uk/products.asp?partno=NJ270A

can you not use google ?? :p