PDA

View Full Version : Backup equipment - Am i being too paranoid?

OllieJames
12-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Hey,

I was browsing various mobile disco websites and many of them mention that they carry backup CD players and mixers with them. I currently, do not :eek:

So, i was thinking of buying a cheap dual cd player unit, put it in an 4UABS flightcase and sorted. I was then thinking of taking both my mackie & yamaha desks so i have a spare; but am i being too paranoid?

I'd prefer a spare dual CD player, as then i can still DJ how i would; i.e wouldn't use an mp3 player, minidisc, or a single personal CD player...

Your advice is much appriciated!

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Backup is always a good idea. I carry a spare mixer/DAC-2 and spare laptop as well as using a Denon HD2500 and another lappy.

If yu can afford to get one, then go for a dual CD system, but don't spend out lots of money - it's for the worst case scenario which is everything else not working. The other thing you could do, is to buy one of those CD mix type consoles that have a built in mixer, which would save you having to buy another mixer as well.

OllieJames
12-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks for your reply Darren!

The CD Mix is a really good idea, didn't think of that.

The way i setup is by going out of cd players, into the mixer in the flight case, then out of that mixer into my main P.A mixer, then out of that into my P.A. I do, have a spare mixer, so would it be worth taking a spare 'P.A' mixer too?

Thank you! :)

Penfold42
12-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Laptop with PCDJ. :)

(If you have the money...if not nick your old man's for the night! :D)

OllieJames
12-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Laptop with PCDJ. :)

(If you have the money...if not nick your old man's for the night! :D)

:D :p

I'd prefer to stay away from digital. 1) because of the license & 2) i'm much happier sticking with what i'm used to!

I've found some various dual CD players for around £120... My current CD players are the KAM KCD1000 - okay, so they're not great but they do the job! So i wasn't sure whether to buy something better (what though?) and use my KAM's as a backup? or to just stick with them, and buy a cheaper backup?

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks for your reply Darren!

The CD Mix is a really good idea, didn't think of that.

The way i setup is by going out of cd players, into the mixer in the flight case, then out of that mixer into my main P.A mixer, then out of that into my P.A. I do, have a spare mixer, so would it be worth taking a spare 'P.A' mixer too?

Thank you! :)

You can very cheap and low powered amps in most retailers and Ebay and yes, I would recommend getting one just in case! You may never need it, but it gives you and your clients peace of mind.

Penfold42
12-11-2008, 06:54 PM
:D :p

I'd prefer to stay away from digital. 1) because of the license & 2) i'm much happier sticking with what i'm used to!

I've found some various dual CD players for around £120... My current CD players are the KAM KCD1000 - okay, so they're not great but they do the job! So i wasn't sure whether to buy something better (what though?) and use my KAM's as a backup? or to just stick with them, and buy a cheaper backup?

Sales pitch here....:o
I have 2 x KAM KCDJ110 and 1 x KAM Scratch Pro 100 Mixer - flight cased and IGWO for sale.

Sorry chaps....feel free to remove if you wish. :)

Tony Scott
12-11-2008, 07:05 PM
I just went for the cheapo Numark dual cd as backup playout (£110) and a Behringer Xenyx802 mixer (£45). Both of these sound great, I've used the mixer on our carnival float to cut down on space and valuble generator power....really clean signal.

OllieJames
12-11-2008, 07:09 PM
You can very cheap and low powered amps in most retailers and Ebay and yes, I would recommend getting one just in case! You may never need it, but it gives you and your clients peace of mind.

I have active speakers! :p The output on my kam mixer is RCA/phono, so i have to go into a mixer, because the inputs on my mackies are XLR. I'll just take my spare yamaha desk, so that's that issue solved.

The CD players i've found are Numark CDN 22 MK4 - Yes, they're very basic. Do you think i should spend more than that on a back-up system?

Sales pitch here....:o
I have 2 x KAM KCDJ110 and 1 x KAM Scratch Pro 100 Mixer - flight cased and IGWO for sale.

Sorry chaps....feel free to remove if you wish. :)

Hi Penmare,

That sounds interesting! What you looking for price wise?

edit: just seen tony's post, so it looks like the players i picked out are good enough!

Jiggles
12-11-2008, 07:16 PM
edit: just seen tony's post, so it looks like the players i picked out are good enough!

This is Tone we are on about you know :D:D

Danno13
12-11-2008, 08:17 PM
I have active speakers! The output on my kam mixer is RCA/phono, so i have to go into a mixer, because the inputs on my mackies are XLR. I'll just take my spare yamaha desk, so that's that issue solved.

Or you could use leads like these.. a bit cheaper and easier to carry than another mixer!

http://cpc.farnell.com/AV07034/audio-video-tv/product.us0?sku=unbranded-fl-25-150

nigelwright7557
12-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Sods law always applies in these situations.
If you dont carry a back up it will break.

I have a tiny unpowered mixer box that takes 4 inputs and gives stereo out that is used as a back up mixer.
I also carry a ghetto blaster dual cd player as back up. Its pretty naff but it still plays CD's OK.
I carry a small backup amp too.
I have a box full of spare cables and fuses etc

rob1963
12-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi Ollie,

I agree with Darren's suggestion...one of those small numark mix type consoles, because as he says, then you'll have a spare mixer too, and the unit will be small & easy to carry.

Until about 10 years ago, I used to be like you...with no back up.

Inevitably, one night I was doing a wedding reception when one of the decks in my dual CD player packed up.

After that, I never went out without back up again. They say you learn from your mistakes...and I CERTAINLY did!

scoopd
13-11-2008, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=penmare42;287097]Laptop with PCDJ. :)

I wouldn't go for a laptop backup with PCDJ.I would go for a laptop backup BECAUSE of :Censored: PCDJ

ppentertainments
13-11-2008, 03:14 PM
would agree with the cd/mixer all in one consoles. I carry a Numark cd-mix with me (what I used years ago). Its light, quick to setup if needed and had cd and mixer together. As I am mow digital I really only need a mixer (and spare laptop obviously), but use the cd-mix as I can set it up quickly and put a cd on whilst sorting laptop etc out.

Dynamic Entertainment
13-11-2008, 03:42 PM
I agree with pretty much everything thats been said. And agree. However (and i realsie that you dont want to go digital), if you ever did decide to move over to a laptop Id recommend Serato Scratch. Its done me wonders as i still use it with the control CDs so if the laptop dies ive got working cd players (obviously you need a small case of popular music) and if the cd players die you have the laptop which can be used internally to limp through the night. Other than that i carry a tiny 2 channel mixer as spare. The speaker system is active so its highly unlikely (touch wood) that id loose the whole system as opposed to one speaker. Just a thought....

OllieJames
16-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks for your replies everybody!

I'll be investing in a spare dual CD player, in a 4U ABS case in January. This will then be my playout system sorted. I've then got a spare desk to run my P.A. This is then everything sorted i believe, as i have an active P.A system!

DiscoSteve, i've had a go on Serato Scratch, and got on with it very well! So, if i do ever decide to (which i'm sure i will!) i'll look into it further.

Creature
16-11-2008, 07:57 PM
nope i always carry a complet spare rig - not as powerful but at least will keep me going if teh worst should happen - only thing ive not got a backup for is teh cortex and as i dont know wether im gonn a keep it - not looking to get one either at this point

ppentertainments
16-11-2008, 08:00 PM
only thing ive not got a backup for is teh cortex and as i dont know wether im gonn a keep it - not looking to get one either at this point
If you want rid I know of a good home :D :D Wanting second one for backup.

Creature
16-11-2008, 08:12 PM
If you want rid I know of a good home Wanting second one for backup.

ill put you in the cue of peopel on here wanting first refusal if i sell it :):)

theoloyla
17-11-2008, 04:57 PM
You can get paranoid but you should also make adequate provision for emergencies.

steveparadox
17-11-2008, 05:15 PM
I havr a Gemini 3600 dual cd player with built in mixer as my backup. I also use it at home for playing about on seeing what songs go well together for example. Also carry a spare 1000w amp just in case.

mr rusty
17-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Carrying a backup is not necessarily just a matter of carrying two of everything just for the sake of it, its knowing how to react and what to do if a bit of kit goes down. Our rig uses a separate amp for tops and subs, but obviously each could be used in isolation. Our tops are full range anyway. We have got a spare little mixer, but it uses different leads. We could plug the CD or an ipod directly into the amp at a pinch bypassing the mixer - anything to keep the music playing. The main thing is to have a plan - think about how you would react if an amp went down, or the mixer - what leads would you use? are they to hand? If a main speaker went down, you might want to switch to mono on the remaining one. The best plan is to build a rig that has inherent redundancy - that is, the normal way you put the rig together means that bits of it can be isolated easily. Many (most?) people use dual extensions to power the rig, which is itself an example of built in redundancy. If you blow a fuse in one lead, can you easily react to reduce the loading to get a reduced output through the remaining one while you sort it out? Think about the natural redundancy of using a stereo signal. You could in a dead mixer situation switch everything to mono and plug one cd player directly into the A amp channel and t'other into the B. Bit of careful juggling, and you can at least keep the music flowing.