PDA

View Full Version : Bulgin

Dynamic Entertainment
13-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Ive seen plenty of posts that mention Bulgin. However im feeling a bit like the dunce in the corner. What is bulgin and how does it work (i.e. how does it work with marry to a standard 3 pin plug etc). Ive seen the circular connector but gust cant figure iut out.... Numb eh!

sleah
13-11-2008, 07:40 PM
It's a round 8 pin plug, traditionally used on spot boxes or pin spot banks.
Normally it runs 4 channels, with 2 neutral connections, sometimes strapped together, with the centre pin being earth.
You'll find them on most NJD / Pulsar sequencers and/or chasers.

So the difference between the 3 PIN IEC and a Bulgin is that an IEC is for one single mains connection either always on or switched, a Bulgin is for up to 8 channels normally individually switched or dimmed.

Bit more to it than that but that is essentially it.

BTW Bulgin is a manufacturer who make many connectors but the round one has aquired the pet name 'Bulgin' over the years, probably as no-one could think of another name for it!!

One Vision
13-11-2008, 08:14 PM
It's a round 8 pin plug, traditionally used on spot boxes or pin spot banks.
Normally it runs 4 channels, with 2 neutral connections, sometimes strapped together, with the centre pin being earth.
You'll find them on most NJD / Pulsar sequencers and/or chasers.

So the difference between the 3 PIN IEC and a Bulgin is that an IEC is for one single mains connection either always on or switched, a Bulgin is for up to 8 channels normally individually switched or dimmed.

Bit more to it than that but that is essentially it.

BTW Bulgin is a manufacturer who make many connectors but the round one has aquired the pet name 'Bulgin' over the years, probably as no-one could think of another name for it!!

Almost fully agree there :) NJD have started using them daft 7 pin ELV plugs.

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/9161482.jpg

Tony Scott
13-11-2008, 08:33 PM
I was just thinking about running the power multicore to my my new tri-lite truss using Bulgin sockets/plugs. Would be so much easier & lighter than my current multicore set-up which is 4 seperate lots of 3 core flex zip-clipped along with the DMX cables.......project for Sunday I think, sod the decorating! :D

Excalibur
13-11-2008, 08:40 PM
I was just thinking about running the power multicore to my my new tri-lite truss using Bulgin sockets/plugs. Would be so much easier & lighter than my current multicore set-up which is 4 seperate lots of 3 core flex zip-clipped along with the DMX cables.......project for Sunday I think, sod the decorating! :D

I'm even happier now about buying that kit off Delboy. ;) :D One multicore signal cable, one mains. :D :D

BTW, I reckon that with two pins neutral, one earth, out of an eight pin plug, you can have a maximum of FIVE channels on a Bulgin plug.

Dynamic Entertainment
13-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks everyone. The fog is beginning to lift. :)

One Vision
13-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks everyone. The fog is beginning to lift. :)

Turn the smoke machine back on then :p