PDA

View Full Version : Help with Router

CRAZY K
20-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Having recovered from being AVGd my PC is now working again and I have been given a Wireless Router to try out by my PC repair man.

The problem is I cant access the Router using Internet Explorer by entering the code of 10.0.0.2 which is used by some Routers.

I had a Router some years ago and did not have this problem using the SAME PC.

I can access the Router using my 2 yr old Acer laptop no problem--but using the older PCs I have--one is 7 yrs old and the other about 4 yrs old I cant access using Explorer.

Without going to the expense of more hours to pay for the Computer man would anyone have any ideas --I wondered if the Explorer version was too old but far as I can tell the version I have is fairly up to date and on the Router box it says Internet Explorer 4 and above is needed which im sure I have.

AAny ideas gratefully accepted, we dont know the make of the Router even though we have the original box--instruction manual not available.

thanks

CRAZY K

A1DL
20-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Any ideas gratefully accepted

have you tried pressing F4 Alan? :p

TonyB
20-11-2008, 03:15 PM
What is the connection status for each PC/Laptop?

You can check by double clicking on the icon in the systray and then selecting the support tab or if the network icon isn't there, go to start>>Connect to>>show all connections and double clicking on the Local Area Connection Icon then the support tab.

What does the Address Type, IP address and Default Gateway say?

UltraBeat Entertainment
20-11-2008, 03:55 PM
It seems the "code" your entering is an IP address. When typing IP addresses into an Internet explore you need to type "http://" so try typing in "http://10.0.0.2"

If this doesn't work ping the IP address to ensure its valid.
To do this in XP select start, run and enter "cmd", then press enter. This should bring up the command prompt (big black box). type "ping 10.0.0.2" and hit enter.

If the IP is wrong it will say something like "Request Timed Out"

If the IP is correct it will say something like "Ping statistics. Packets sent = 4, received = 4"

Hope this helps

Jiggles
20-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Check the default gate way by Start, run, cmd, in the command prompt type ipconfig. The default gateway is the routers IP address.

CRAZY K
20-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Having recovered from being AVGd my PC is now working again and I have been given a Wireless Router to try out by my PC repair man.

The problem is I cant access the Router using Internet Explorer by entering the code of 10.0.0.2 which is used by some Routers.

I had a Router some years ago and did not have this problem using the SAME PC.

I can access the Router using my 2 yr old Acer laptop no problem--but using the older PCs I have--one is 7 yrs old and the other about 4 yrs old I cant access using Explorer.

Without going to the expense of more hours to pay for the Computer man would anyone have any ideas --I wondered if the Explorer version was too old but far as I can tell the version I have is fairly up to date and on the Router box it says Internet Explorer 4 and above is needed which im sure I have.

AAny ideas gratefully accepted, we dont know the make of the Router even though we have the original box--instruction manual not available.

thanks

CRAZY K

Thanks guys--will try those suggestions so far and keep you posted;)

CRAZY K

discomobiledj
20-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Most routers are either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.1.1 with the username being admin and the password being password. Unless you are with sky then it's admin & sky

Jiggles
20-11-2008, 04:28 PM
some are also admin and admin Dlink are like that.

Need4Sound
20-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Also the default ip address for the router may not be 10.0.0.2, I'd guess it maybe something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.

I'd also look at how your network cards are configured, do they automatically obtain an IP address from the router via DHCP or are they manually configured?

wensleydale
20-11-2008, 04:41 PM
the ip address varies by router- google your router name and "Ip" and see what comes up.
it varies by brand.

Jiggles
20-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Just to get this across to people Default gateway = DHCP = Routers IP address. Most of the time PC are set up for TCP/IP so there should be no problem.

discomobiledj
20-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Also, is the IP, username and password on the bottom of the router?

Need4Sound
20-11-2008, 06:05 PM
I think you might be a bit confused with Default Gateway, TCP/IP and DHCP.

DHCP will assign IP addresses to the client PC's, ie if the router is set to assign IP addresses to each connected device it will do so using DHCP.

Default Gateway is the way out from your internal network to the internet, this is commonly the IP address of the router, but can also depend on how the network has been configured.

TCP/IP is the communication protocol for the internet, it's how computers talk to each other on the internet. It has nothing to do with routing, assigning IP addresses or DHCP.

The first thing you need to do is reset the router to default settings, usually a sub-flush button on the back or underside. Then find out the default IP address and administrator login, a google search for the router user guide will give you this.

CRAZY K
20-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Also, is the IP, username and password on the bottom of the router?

Thanks for all the input guys--

Magnificent :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Im just about to have a go at trying a few ideas--

Can I just mention--using 10.0.0.2 gets me into the unit using my newish Laptop so it does all work and I know the password--my problem is I want to plug it into my old PC to use as the "base" unit because its in my Office/Store/Workshop/ Sound testing room---

But I cant access it using Explorer on my old PC.:bang: :bang: :bang:

ANYWAY WILL COME ON LATER AND REPORT;)

CRAZY K

Jiggles
20-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Try installing Firefox or something like that. Could be its just not liking IE :(

djgordyp
20-11-2008, 08:24 PM
I sometimes find that running the routers setup wizard helps.
Do you have WEP or WPA security set up on your router? I had trouble getting my stepdaughters new laptop set up, even with the correct security key.

What you need to do is make sure the network authentication is set to 'shared'. That should do the trick. At least I think that's what got hers going :confused: :D

CRAZY K
20-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks for all the input guys--

Magnificent :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Im just about to have a go at trying a few ideas--

Can I just mention--using 10.0.0.2 gets me into the unit using my newish Laptop so it does all work and I know the password--my problem is I want to plug it into my old PC to use as the "base" unit because its in my Office/Store/Workshop/ Sound testing room---

But I cant access it using Explorer on my old PC.:bang: :bang: :bang:

ANYWAY WILL COME ON LATER AND REPORT;)

CRAZY K

Well I got into the Router and set up ID and password for my provider but now it wont connect when I dial up TALK TALK-- the ordinary Speedtouch modem dials up and connects perfectly.

I will speak to my PC man as he has been using this router ok on his PC.

Many thanks for all the input.

CRAZY K