PDA

View Full Version : PCDJ Red With External USB 2.0 HDD

mldiscos
21-11-2008, 08:22 PM
here's a theortical question, would pcdj red run with an usb external hdd or would it constantly being slower as it woulf be trying to load the info and the track through the usb, bit of background obviously i've got my vaio and have been given an old dell laptop from a bloke at work, now im quite good with dekstops but haven't really done a lot with laptops i know i could upgrade the hdd and the ram both giving me slightly more speed and obviously space but this is too much grief to be dealing with which is why i was wondering if something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Elements-400GB-External/dp/B000S27NTG

twinned with pcdj, good combination or bad

CRAZY K
21-11-2008, 08:38 PM
here's a theortical question, would pcdj red run with an usb external hdd or would it constantly being slower as it woulf be trying to load the info and the track through the usb, bit of background obviously i've got my vaio and have been given an old dell laptop from a bloke at work, now im quite good with dekstops but haven't really done a lot with laptops i know i could upgrade the hdd and the ram both giving me slightly more speed and obviously space but this is too much grief to be dealing with which is why i was wondering if something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Elements-400GB-External/dp/B000S27NTG

twinned with pcdj, good combination or bad

I have used PC DJ red with my 2 year old Acer Laptop and a Seagate 320gb external HDD with no problems as a back up--I dont anymore as I have another Cortex now.

I believe Dave ( Dragonfly) has done the same.

The only problem might be the speed of the laptop possibly--ALSO HOW RELIABLE WILL IT BE--is it clapped out?

People dont often give things away if they are perfect.

CRAZY K

mldiscos
21-11-2008, 08:50 PM
it dont seem to be gonna check it out over weekend, i've found the eaisest way to find out if it's reliable is to abuse the hell out of for a couple of days if it dont like that, it's probably either a scrapper or rebuild time, but we will see

501damian501
21-11-2008, 10:49 PM
a external hard drive with a decent spin speed of 7500rpm i think it is,dont go by that ive been drinking, but i know its in the 7000s, and using 2.0speed, would run perfectly with pcdj or virtual dj infact any software, the 2.0speed part is just the transfur rate, but with any dj software, you line up the tracks first, which gives them time to load into the software. hope this helps

Cj_The_Dj
24-11-2008, 09:18 AM
i used it with a usb harddrive and worked fine for me then i gotr a new harddrive for my laptop

sleah
24-11-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm a 'bloomin big internal drive' man myself. Too many bad experiences with external drives. Yet 'another' thing to go wrong.
However a decent quality one on USB2 should be fine.

daz226
24-11-2008, 03:42 PM
i used to use pcdj red with a laptop and external drive and never once did i have a issue. I only upgreded to pcdjvj because it works extreamly well with vista and the new laptop i bought was running vista.

i have noticed no issues when the extrenal drive is connected and as a set up works extreamly well. I will be moving away from the laptop in to a media controller next year and have the lap top as a back up.

just remember to make sure that you get a good external / internal sound card when using the laptop 2 channels in to the mixer