PDA

View Full Version : DI Boxes

dmckaraoke
22-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Does anyone use these with there pa setup and does if make a diffrence..

The reason i ask at a New Year i do a gig where Pa is setup by third Party and I am always plugged into di boxes and then into there pa system...

spin mobile disco
22-11-2008, 02:28 PM
As dar as i am aware a DI box just alters the ohms of an input to make it suitable for a line input on a mixer.
if the mixer can handle the input signal anyway a Di box is not required.

dmckaraoke
22-11-2008, 02:38 PM
It must because my mixer is going into his then?

A1DL
22-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Does anyone use these with there pa setup and does if make a diffrence..

Always with guitar pickups & keys. AR133s, industry standard.

and does if make a diffrence..

It's not an option, it's an absolute necessity, to convert a high-output unbalanced signal to a microphone level balanced signal.

The reason i ask at a New Year i do a gig where Pa is setup by third Party and I am always plugged into di boxes and then into there pa system...

They're feeding you through 2 No. (mono) mic channels. Personally I don't DI DJs, instead routing them via a 1066 into a stereo pair on the desk. Peak Stop Plus is a great brick wall, although there are (allegedly) techs out there whom still prefer a baseball bat with "DJ use only" scribbled in sharpie.

djsteve10
22-11-2008, 03:57 PM

It's not an option, it's an absolute necessity, to convert a high-output unbalanced signal to a microphone level balanced signal.

They're feeding you through 2 No. (mono) mic channels. Personally I don't DI DJs, instead routing them via a 1066 into a stereo pair on the desk. Peak Stop Plus is a great brick wall, although there are (allegedly) techs out there whom still prefer a baseball bat with "DJ use only" scribbled in sharpie.

Great information there, Never knew anything about DI boxes but now I know alot more about them. Thanks for posting that.

Tom
22-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Great information there, Never knew anything about DI boxes but now I know alot more about them. Thanks for posting that.

Agree. I knew a bit about them but not a great deal. Also they can have an earth lift which can be handy.

One Vision
22-11-2008, 05:25 PM

Is that west side jabber Homie, I didn't understand a word of it :D although I thought we were on for another go at the Battle of Hastings with the 1066 and the baseball bat :D

Excalibur
22-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Right, years ago I had a superb mixer, with a BUS input. This meant you could give somebody their own mixer to play with, and plug it into this switchable input. Worked superbly, and was also an excellent way of adding extra mic channels. I dearly wish I still had one with this facility, but you don't seem to see them now. :(

Ajaysdisco
26-11-2008, 10:54 PM

I believe they can be also used for long cable runs.

Link for you (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DI_box)

DiscoPromotions
26-11-2008, 11:49 PM
DI can cause you more problems that you need. If the earth is set on can introduce buzzing/humming in your system, or pick up electrical activity of your lights.

Signal break down over long cables occurs more in MIDI cabling than mic cables (XLR).

Personally I would not use them unless you offer full band PA system as one of your services.