PDA

View Full Version : Another Nail in the coffin of Karaoke Pt 2

Have a disco
23-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Have you seen the advert for the new Karaoke game for XBox 360

Its called LIPS

Im beginning to feel karaoke nights are not worth continuing with at this rate seems only very established karaoke nights will end up surviving

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Why do you think a computer game will have any effect on your business? I'm not sure I get where you're coming from?

Penfold42
23-11-2008, 05:29 PM
I think it's just a bit of fun to be had when at home......nothing more than that....:)

I don't like Karaoke anyway......:p :bag:

BeerFunk
23-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Actually..... :sofa:

I agree.

There are a range of karaoke products for the XBox and Playstation now which make karaoke an easily affordable addition to a house party, some of them even allow you to play instruments at the same time. OK, it's not quite on the same scale as hiring a proper karaoke at an event, but even so, it's bound to affect the amount of karaoke bookings now.

In saying that, I think it will only really impact the 'budget' karaoke bookings (ie. ~£100)

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Karaoke machines and products for the home have been around for ages though. I can't see it making more of an impact than has already been made with the home machines.

TonyB
24-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Being the optimist, if anything, I think it will make Karaoke more popular. Budding X-Factor stars that have been practicing their "singing skills" at home will want to perform in front of a proper audience.

Danno13
24-11-2008, 12:13 AM
No machine can host a Karaoke night properly. There's far less (if any) entertainment factor with a machine stuck in a corner.. and who would encourage people to sing and get involved?

BeerFunk
24-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Karaoke machines and products for the home have been around for ages though. I can't see it making more of an impact than has already been made with the home machines.This is different though, as it's an add-on to an already popular video games system - meaning you already have the visuals and sound system in place for it. Also, taking 'Singstar' as the main example, you're singing is scored using voice rhythm and pitch detection techniques.

Not only that, it's much more interactive and adaptable - there are 'pro' karaoke features such as reverb on some setups, you can download any song you want instantly (dependant on availability), watch yourself singing on the same screen, and there are even bluetooth mics being developed for future release.

Being the optimist, if anything, I think it will make Karaoke more popular. Budding X-Factor stars that have been practicing their "singing skills" at home will want to perform in front of a proper audience.Now that's a good point, I didn't consider that :)

No machine can host a Karaoke night properly. There's far less (if any) entertainment factor with a machine stuck in a corner.. and who would encourage people to sing and get involved?I don't think anyone would host a proper karaoke with this type of product, and if they did, I doubt that they would have much success! I think that if people were planning a birthday party for example, a house party with Singstar is a viable entertainment alternative to hiring a budget karaoke.

Danno13
24-11-2008, 12:31 AM
But wouldn't that just be the same as having a house party rather than hiring a hall for a disco? You can't fit many people in a house, anyone who wants something a bit better would book a hall/function room and be more likely to just hire a pro to do the job IMO.

TonyB
24-11-2008, 01:03 AM
Being a games consol luddite, how long have these Karaoke games been available?

I have noticed an increase in enquiries lately for Karaoke and declined to quote for two enquiries this week because they wanted it. I am also being asked more often if I can supply mic's and backing tracks for guests at functions which I am happy to accommodate provided it is all arranged beforehand.

discomobiledj
24-11-2008, 02:17 AM

I have noticed an increase in enquiries lately for Karaoke and declined to quote for two enquiries this week because they wanted it. I am also being asked more often if I can supply mic's and backing tracks for guests at functions which I am happy to accommodate provided it is all arranged beforehand.

Same here, and one was for a bunch of nurses......maybe I should invest!

TonyB
24-11-2008, 02:32 AM
Same here, and one was for a bunch of nurses......maybe I should invest!

LOL That wasn't the 19 December 2008 Education Centre one was it?

I did think of starting to do Karaoke last year but scrapped the idea because I didn't think there would be much demand but a bunch of nurses is motivating me to reconsider :D

ppentertainments
24-11-2008, 08:25 AM
TBH I think things like this help to promote karaoke. As mentioned before people will 'practise' at home and 'perform' at a gig. I always notice when the X-Factor is on tv I seem to have an increase in karaoke bookings, especially for birthdays etc.

What also does happen is people often book karaoke (I always do karaoke / disco) and on the night they end up with disco most or all of the night as no-one gets up to sing. I would think this is due to karaoke hype which is encouraged by such products.

The way this affects my business is I get paid the extra for a karaoke disco yet they end up with disco only. :D

DazzyD
24-11-2008, 11:48 PM

I can agree with this as over the weekend I quoted on 1 karaoke and 2 karaoke discos. I've just checked my emails and found another enquiry for a karaoke disco.

I think the marketing of karaoke/singing/music products inspires people to have a go and pushes up bookings. I don't think anyone should be losing out because of it.

discomobiledj
25-11-2008, 08:47 AM
LOL That wasn't the 19 December 2008 Education Centre one was it?

I did think of starting to do Karaoke last year but scrapped the idea because I didn't think there would be much demand but a bunch of nurses is motivating me to reconsider :D

Thats the one......but it was in Homerton and my other half worked there for a year and hated it!

Have a disco
25-11-2008, 03:26 PM
This is not the first at home karaoke / game system, but I am beginng to to feel that nearly everyone I know. That there kids has a system which will play karaoke. It has had a knock on affect regarding less bookings. Why travel down a pub or venue when you can stay at home and do the same. The stay at home culture is bedding itself in.

Obviously people will still go out and go to pubs but in a less frequent amount what with a credit crunch in full effect

TonyB
25-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Again I am going to be the optimist because I see no letting up of bookings. November/December is my busiest ever. January and February are filling up nicely and I have a nice spread of bookings up to August next year.

There are definitely more last minute bookings. People still want to go out and enjoy themselves. I would add that I don't do pubs though (unless a private function).

Most people can't invite circa 100 people to their home for a function to celebrate their special occasion (some can and they will often hire a disco to provide the entertainment).

I agree that people will stay at home if the entertainment they can provide is as good as what they get when they go out but if they get something better then it is more likely to motivate them to get out.

nigelwright7557
15-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Surely peole starting to do karaoke at home might get them more interested in doing it at the pub ?
At least they can practice at home before doing it live on stage !

Sarahjovi
17-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Surely peole starting to do karaoke at home might get them more interested in doing it at the pub ?
At least they can practice at home before doing it live on stage !

I agree, my husband bought me a karaoke machine for christmas 2000, 4 years later he bought me a RSQ SV222, from there I set up my own Karaoke business. I still practise at home before I go out to a gig! And from what I can tell so do a lot of other people!

I thinks these games only enhance karaoke, as people are more confident to get up and sing in public if they have had a go in the privicy of thier own home!

Sarah:D

James
17-01-2009, 01:30 PM
yup, the x factor and shows like that probably help as well

Mark Wild
18-01-2009, 02:52 AM
Have you seen the advert for the new Karaoke game for XBox 360

Its called LIPS

Im beginning to feel karaoke nights are not worth continuing with at this rate seems only very established karaoke nights will end up surviving

So the new Gran Tourismo games will effect car sales? The new dance mat games will stop people going clubbing? Fifa 2009 will stop people playing football? I think not :)