PDA

View Full Version : cd players/mixer

Reminisce disco
23-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Guys,

I am in the market for a new set of cd players and a mixer, nothing too fancy as im still fairly new to the game. I currently have flightcased stanton cd players and mixer but were very cheap new and one of the players is giving me grief i.e it plays when it feels like it. Its also very cumbersome and i would prefer something more compact. Tried all sorts of cleaners but it still dont work, warranty has expired, its already been back once as neither of the cd drawers would open when i took delivery a couple of years ago.
I need pointing in the right direction as I'm not sure where to start. Budget is fairly low but not sure what i could get for my money. Any suggestions and links would be appreciated, thanks a lot.

Corabar Steve
23-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Would you prefer twin players or 2 separates? & when you say low, how low?

Dynamic Entertainment
23-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Without wanting to sound cheeky, what kind of budget do you have? The replies may be more helpful if we have an idea. Ste.

Reminisce disco
23-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Looking around £250 and I would prefer 2 separates but would consider all options.

Penfold42
23-11-2008, 08:32 PM
PM sent. :)

BeerFunk
23-11-2008, 08:36 PM
As unhelpful as it may sound, if you don't invest in at least a decent set of CD players, then it's just going to come back and bite you. Most, including myself, would recommend Numark dual CD players - which should be within your price range (around £140 I believe). It would only leave £110 for a mixer, which isn't a great deal, but I'm sure you'd find a decent, basic mixer at that :)

nigelwright7557
23-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Looking around £250 and I would prefer 2 separates but would consider all options.

Why not go for a combined dual cd player and mixer ?
That would cure your space problem.

Reminisce disco
23-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Which ones would I be looking at Nigel?

Dynamic Entertainment
23-11-2008, 08:48 PM
check out www.djkit.co.uk they do packages ranging from £199. Ive got this as a back up http://www.djkit.co.uk/package.php?id=PKG-197-295&cat=202 You would have to buy a case for it. Ive used it a few times when setup time is going to be a bit pushed (usually have pioneer stuff in individual cases so takes longer setting up) and ive never had a problem.

nigelwright7557
23-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Maplin are doing a dual cd player for £129 at the moment.
I use that one and never had any problems with it.

Beware tho, its not anti shock.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=cd%20player&source=15

Reminisce disco
23-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks Steve, will check out the link. :)

Penfold42
23-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Beware tho, its not anti shock.

What's the point in that then....:pants:

kilmeedyman
23-11-2008, 10:30 PM
As unhelpful as it may sound, if you don't invest in at least a decent set of CD players, then it's just going to come back and bite you. Most, including myself, would recommend Numark dual CD players - which should be within your price range (around £140 I believe). It would only leave £110 for a mixer, which isn't a great deal, but I'm sure you'd find a decent, basic mixer at that :)

Interesting as I have the Stanton twin CD and Stanton 402 mixer flightcased for sale. Never had a problem with them. Only 18 months old. Only for sale because I am now digital and have no CDs.

However the CD player was a lot more to buy than the Numark you recommend as a more expensive, 'get what you pay for player'.

BeerFunk
23-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Interesting as I have the Stanton twin CD and Stanton 402 mixer flightcased for sale. Never had a problem with them. Only 18 months old. Only for sale because I am now digital and have no CDs.

However the CD player was a lot more to buy than the Numark you recommend as a more expensive, 'get what you pay for player'.I didn't recommend a specific model as I couldn't remember the model number - but there are others here who have recommended it, and I have never had a problem with Numark players. I suppose it's all down to personal experience, but any 'budget' equipment is a gamble of sorts.

I don't want to bore anyone with it again, but if you can afford the investment, Denon rackmounts will last you for many years - even second hand Denon players are a good bet :)

Dynamic Entertainment
23-11-2008, 11:22 PM
I don't want to bore anyone with it again, but if you can afford the investment, Denon rackmounts will last you for many years - even second hand Denon players are a good bet :)

I dont want to be argumentative, but i disagree. Ive worked in a few nightclubs that have had denon rackmounts, and every one has had the play and/or cue button drop out of them. They seem to be getting it sored with the new models but they arnt in the price range wanted.

BeerFunk
23-11-2008, 11:31 PM
I dont want to be argumentative, but i disagree.Not at all - it's the very point of forums :cool:

Ive worked in a few nightclubs that have had denon rackmounts, and every one has had the play and/or cue button drop out of them. They seem to be getting it sored with the new models but they arnt in the price range wanted.What do you mean by 'drop out of them'? As in stop working, or physically fall out? Of the few accounts of Denon equipment faults I've heard, I've never heard of anything like that.

Corabar Steve
24-11-2008, 07:21 AM
If anything is abused for long enough, it will break.

Dynamic Entertainment
24-11-2008, 05:41 PM
I dont want to be argumentative, but i disagree.Not at all - it's the very point of forums :cool:

What do you mean by 'drop out of them'? As in stop working, or physically fall out? Of the few accounts of Denon equipment faults I've heard, I've never heard of anything like that.

Literally the rubber button falls out of the unit. Like i say ive been in at least 8-9 pubs/clubs where that has happened (not me being the resident dj, just covering for alot), and the equipment hasnt been abused, just general use.

It was a fairly well known fault form talking to other club djs in the area, bearing in mind the units get gues 4,5 or 6 night a week whereas with a mobile disco they get 2-3 nights average (for most folk anyway)

BeerFunk
24-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Literally the rubber button falls out of the unit. Like i say ive been in at least 8-9 pubs/clubs where that has happened (not me being the resident dj, just covering for alot), and the equipment hasnt been abused, just general use.

It was a fairly well known fault form talking to other club djs in the area, bearing in mind the units get gues 4,5 or 6 night a week whereas with a mobile disco they get 2-3 nights average (for most folk anyway)Frankly, I find these faults very hard to believe.

I bought a Denon DN-1800F in 2000, used it for mobile disco and personal use for 3 years, then sold it to a friend, who uses it for filler music at his karaoke nights. He doesn't even have it flightcased (he is most certainly a 'cowboy', but won't be talked around), and it's still going.

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-11-2008, 07:03 PM
The original Denon stuff that came out years ago seemed to suffer with buttons not working and the like.

I remember when I bought my first twin CD, which was a KAM KCD850 (I think), the equivalent Denon was over a grand and the shop I bought from were telling me of the problems.

That was a long time ago though....

Corabar Steve
24-11-2008, 07:57 PM
& people will take less care if the equipment isn't theirs

Dynamic Entertainment
25-11-2008, 10:13 PM
The original Denon stuff that came out years ago seemed to suffer with buttons not working and the like.

I remember when I bought my first twin CD, which was a KAM KCD850 (I think), the equivalent Denon was over a grand and the shop I bought from were telling me of the problems.

That was a long time ago though....

Aye, most of the clubs around here still have old stuff. It only gets replace when it is well and truly screwed and theres no room left for gaffa tape.

When i work in a place, using their equipment, i always take care of it. I dont appreciate people bouncing over my equipment when i hire it to clubs/pubs, so i dont do it myself.