PDA

View Full Version : Daisy Chaining Power

UltraBeat Entertainment
24-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Thought i would quickly run this past you.

I have got some new LED effects which has the ability to daisy chain power (e.g has an IEC in and an IEC out) with this IEC out how much power can it supply? Will it be enough to run a 250w halogen twister effect or is this only designed to power other LED effects?

Is there any advantages or disadvantages of doing this?

Vectis
24-11-2008, 10:02 AM
What does the manual (or failing that the rating plate) say?

Then you have your answer.

I would expect this to be intended for daisy-chaining other low-draw items such as LED effects but it may well be rated at the full 10amps that the IEC can stand - it all depends on the gauge of the connector linking the two sockets.

Excalibur
24-11-2008, 08:49 PM

I have got some new LED effects which has the ability to daisy chain power (e.g has an IEC in and an IEC out) with this IEC out how much power can it supply? Will it be enough to run a 250w halogen twister effect or is this only designed to power other LED effects?

If it's like mine, NO! I blew the fuse by doing that, as the link is protected by the internal fuse, not the three pin plug fuse.

nigelwright7557
24-11-2008, 09:27 PM

It depends on the thickness of the IEC cable.

The ones I have all seem to be 13 amps so that works out at about 3300 watts maximum in the chain.

UltraBeat Entertainment
25-11-2008, 07:43 AM
Haven't managed to track down the user guide but I'm talking about the mystic LED if that helps.

Excalibur
25-11-2008, 05:37 PM
It depends on the thickness of the IEC cable.

The ones I have all seem to be 13 amps so that works out at about 3300 watts maximum in the chain.

Oh Nigel, sometimes I wish you'd read other posts. :( If by some trick, I could fit 600amp welding cable into my IEC plugs, would that allow me to run 150Kw down it? :confused: :eek: Certainly not if it was protected by a 1.5amp Fast Blow fuse. ;) ;) ;) Been there, done that. In my now infamous KAM LED units, the output IEC socket is protected by said fuse. It will NOT repeat NOT run a 250w filament unit. Like I said, been there................... :( :(

Paul, don't know if the Mystic is similar, but I'd plug a small LED unit into the chain socket, and pull the fuse, if it has one. If the unit goes out, then the fuse wll limit what you can feed with it.

nigelwright7557
25-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh Nigel, sometimes I wish you'd read other posts. :( If by some trick, I could fit 600amp welding cable into my IEC plugs, would that allow me to run 150Kw down it? :confused: :eek: Certainly not if it was protected by a 1.5amp Fast Blow fuse. ;) ;) ;) Been there, done that. In my now infamous KAM LED units, the output IEC socket is protected by said fuse. It will NOT repeat NOT run a 250w filament unit. Like I said, been there................... :( :(

Paul, don't know if the Mystic is similar, but I'd plug a small LED unit into the chain socket, and pull the fuse, if it has one. If the unit goes out, then the fuse wll limit what you can feed with it.

Its down to the wire thickness that defines what fuse goes in the plug and how much you can connect to the wire.

So basically you have agreed with what I said :bang:

Excalibur
25-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Its down to the wire thickness that defines what fuse goes in the plug and how much you can connect to the wire.

So basically you have agreed with what I said :bang:

There's no fuse in an IEC plug. Nigel you are truly awesome.

nigelwright7557
25-11-2008, 08:47 PM
There's no fuse in an IEC plug. Nigel you are truly awesome.

There is a plug on the other end tho where the mains originates !

Excalibur
25-11-2008, 08:57 PM
There is a plug on the other end tho where the mains originates !

You're assuming that it's not an old 15amp round pin, or a modern ceeform. No fuses in them mate ;) ;)

nigelwright7557
25-11-2008, 09:00 PM
You're assuming that it's not an old 15amp round pin, or a modern ceeform. No fuses in them mate ;) ;)

Grossly unlikely.......

Excalibur
25-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Grossly unlikely.......

Are you saying I don't have a 32amp ceeform to IEC cable in my box of tricks? :confused:

OK, levity over, now go back and read my first post again. Please note that whatever cable you used out of my light, you could not achieve 3300watts down it, since the fuse would pop before 250.

nigelwright7557
25-11-2008, 09:14 PM

No, just saying that there arent many around these days.

A1DL
25-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Are you saying I don't have a 32amp ceeform to IEC cable in my box of tricks? :confused:

assuming you are referring to IEC320 type C13... hopefully you haven't, Peter (unless it is just for PAT testing and clearly labelled same) as in an overload or fault condition it could clearly exceed the 10a rating of the connector and most likely the cable (1.5mm2 being about the largest one of these can take) C19/20 are rated to 16a, so again, a 32a SPNE cee to one of these is bad news, with no MCB protection.

A1DL
25-11-2008, 10:02 PM
No, just saying that there arent many around these days.

:confused:

what are you talking about Nigel, the 15a connector is the industry standard connector for dimmed circuits.

and 32a cees... they are common as muck too, one of the most common connectors on amplifier racks, small (6x5a) dimmer/switching packs, and very popular for distributing power at events/marquees, etc.

nigelwright7557
25-11-2008, 10:04 PM
:confused:

what are you talking about Nigel, the 15a connector is the industry standard connector for dimmed circuits.

and 32a cees... they are common as muck too, one of the most common connectors on amplifier racks, small (6x5a) dimmer/switching packs, and very popular for distributing power at events/marquees, etc.

I will tell them that at the pubs and clubs I play at.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Does anyone have a clue what they're talking about in here?

A1DL
25-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Does anyone have a clue what they're talking about in here?

I do, Sir :p

nigelwright7557
25-11-2008, 10:41 PM
I do, Sir :p

99.99% of mobile gigs use 13 amp mains.

A1DL
25-11-2008, 10:52 PM

Perhaps you can define your source of this hard-to believe statistic, Nigel?
Are you saying only 1 in 10,000 functions that take place are in a marquee with locally generated power, where ceeform is the standard connector?
That seems a very low percentage to me.

nigelwright7557
25-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Perhaps you can define your source of this hard-to believe statistic, Nigel?
Are you saying only 1 in 10,000 functions that take place are in a marquee with locally generated power, where ceeform is the standard connector?
That seems a very low percentage to me.

I am saying that most gear works off 13 amp mains.

A1DL
25-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Niegl - at first you said:

which is different to:

I am saying that most gear works off 13 amp mains.

I am not disputing that 99.99% of mixers/CD players/turntables are fitted with a 13a plugtop. But even in this age of technology, we still need a suitably IP rated connector and good old copper to draw the power from the genset to a distribution board inside a marquee! Point being, these connectors aren't as rare as rocking horse poo as you suggest!

nigelwright7557
25-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Niegl - at first you said:

which is different to:

I am not disputing that 99.99% of mixers/CD players/turntables are fitted with a 13a plugtop. But even in this age of technology, we still need a suitably IP rated connector and good old copper to draw the power from the genset to a distribution board inside a marquee! Point being, these connectors aren't as rare as rocking horse poo as you suggest!

But this isnt what this thread is about.
Its about daisy chaining 13 amp mains lights together.

A1DL
25-11-2008, 11:09 PM

correct.

unlike your posts #11 and #13 in this thread, which are incorrect and the reason we have gone off topic.

nigelwright7557
25-11-2008, 11:12 PM
correct.

unlike your posts #11 and #13 in this thread, which are incorrect and the reason we have gone off topic.

But in 34 years of discoing I have never used anything different to a 13 amp outlet. So for me 99.99% was an understatement for the number of times i have seen that connector used.

501damian501
26-11-2008, 01:20 AM
to be honest with you, the daisy chain on lighting, i would only use for daisy chaining the same effects together, in my opinion thats what they are their for. but i wouldnt try hooking up an halogen effect to an led iec output :D to be honest i havent tried, dont think i will, the best thing in my opinion to get a true reading, get the old test reader out and see what it says. :D :D

:beer1: whiskey anyone :beer1:

Excalibur
26-11-2008, 06:52 AM

In a spirit of generosity, I won't point out that the IEC sockets referred to on the fixtures are 10amp. ;)

Nigel, please can you address yourself to my original point about the FUSE fitted to the units, which limits the power to a figure way below your quotes 1.3Kw. In this case, the wire size is irrelevant.

Tony, glad to see the cavalry arrive on this one. As you doubtless guessed, no I don't have lead I referred to in an attempt to enlighten Nigel. I've done plenty of gigs where I drew power from something other than the 13amp socket. Some of the consequences may yet start another thread. :D

Darren, I apologise for such a narrow subject matter, I'm currently exploring the murky waters of DMX. Perhaps that may be a more accessible subject? :confused: ;) :D

Corabar Steve
26-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Does anyone have a clue what they're talking about in here?I wish I did.

BTW we're HUGELY OFF TOPIC from the original question.

to be honest with you, the daisy chain on lighting, i would only use for daisy chaining the same effects together, in my opinion thats what they are their for. but i wouldnt try hooking up an halogen effect to an led iec output :D to be honest i havent tried, dont think i will, the best thing in my opinion to get a true reading, get the old test reader out and see what it says. :D :D

:beer1: whiskey anyone :beer1:
Thanks for trying to get the thread back on track Damian

:ontopic:

UltraBeat Entertainment
26-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Well thanks for all the on topic replies:)

Think its obvious that this should not be done.

Thanks everyone.

Excalibur
26-11-2008, 07:44 PM

OK, so back on topic. I've read the manual online, and I reckon you'd run one 250w halogen unit no probs, since it says the Mystic fuse is Three amps. Two quite possibly, but I'd be wary of three, I reckon the surge at switch on would prove too much.