PDA

View Full Version : Does size matter?

welby
01-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Ha! now that I have your attention! :p

And yes it does relate to size, but the size of your DJ setup you naughty lot!

After doing a recent gig, when my roady wasn't available, I had to set-up on my own. All say arrrrrrrgh! lol

I found it hard going to be honest. I had the customer watching every move that I made and was quite freely offering "advice", which really didn't help matters. And all they wanted to do was get home and watch the telly. Which made me feel under even more pressure to get set up!

And I was beginning to think that in future my roady is not always going to be available, so what can I do to help ease the burden of setting up alone.

Well, what first sprang to mind was downsize the lighting to a single laser and two small effects. Easy to carry and setup. Downsize the smoke machine to something smaller I have a HP monster - overkill really.

I have gone digital with a high powered laptop and virtual dj, so I take out as a "back up" a twin CD player together with two heavy cases of cds, all just in case. Just more stuff to carry.

So to cut to the chase my question is: What can I do to reduce the amount of "luggage" I take out?

Any recomendations as to a SMALL but effective lighting arrangement? Smaller digital backup maybe? Whatever it takes to reduce the tonnage! lol

Totally Plucked
01-12-2008, 09:39 AM
With the Modern style disco, it seems to be 'Less is more' these days

soundtracker
01-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Too many people are worried about filling venues with ear shattering sound, as long as its loud enough on the dancefloor, anywhere else is just an inconvenience, unless you're talking younger events where they want it loud everywhere because they can't make conversation anyway, and it saves on embarrassing silences.

ppentertainments
01-12-2008, 09:43 AM
I have mentioned before about downsizing. Most of my gigs now consist of Micromax stand, 3 lighting effects, my console containing Cortex, mixer and backup cd players and a laptop on a tray connected to mixer and spare hard drive (the spare hard drive is actually left at home to comply with new legislation :whistle: ) and amp driving 2 15" speakers. Total setup and pack away time on my own = 20 mins. I would say I use this in 9 out of 10 venues. I rarely take a roadie now - money saving.

There are many ways to make setting up easier. One which I know a lot of people do is to take the lighting bar already setup. I think you are overdoing the backup cds a bit - can you not condense them down a bit. I thoroughly recomend using a HDC - cortex is fairly cheap which can be racked with your mixer and cd players, and demote the laptop to a backup.

Smoke Machine - whats one of those ?? I think I have only been allowed to use mine half a dozen times this year.

Compacting my rig took about 6 months of changing things about to suit. Bookings are increasing (as is my charges) so customers obviously do not mind. Little things like I leave my mic and headphones inside the console with the lid on, having only 1 mains plug and 2 wires to amp coming out of console saves those extra couple of minutes which soon mount up.

Dragonfly
01-12-2008, 09:45 AM
well since july it's easy to downsize particularly if you are digital ..... as you now have to leave you back up hard drive at home :zip: :zip: :zip: :zip:

towards the end i'd halved my show size and was getting many more nice comments than when i crammed in as much as possible.

Totally Plucked
01-12-2008, 09:52 AM
I know a lot don't like led effects but thats another big plus factor they are a hell of a lot lighter than traditional transformer effects

sp-entertainment
01-12-2008, 10:14 AM
after seeing alot of peoples rigs on here i feel inadequate as sound system wise i only have
wharfedale pro pt12's and a sound master vision 8 sound desk
laptop for digital djing
bcd2000 controller
and backup CD players

but i have 2x scanners 2x barrel scanners and 4 led pars

DiscoPromotions
01-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Size only matters if you worry about what you think, not what the cilents wants.

You might suprise yourself in what cilents actually wants for their event. Majority of the time and where possible, try and get the cilents expectations to ensure we deliver what they want.

In other words, you may want to deliver a big box but the customer only wants a small box delivered.

welby
01-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks for your comments, very interesting.

I guess my current downfall is trying to look impressive as I am relatively a new setup and want to make an impression. But obviously this comes at a price. ie tons of equipment.

I'm happy with my active speakers and saves lugging an amp and the extra cabling around.

With reference to the cortex, Im assuming you mean the cortex HDC3000. I'm assuming you have a separate mixer so you can fit the cortex and twin cds all in one case. Would be nice to fit them all in one case though. Apprently the cortex can access USB CD drives, so I guess its possible to get these rack mounted?

Sorting through my cd collection and reduce them down to 1 case would save a lot of weight.

With regard to the smoke machine, I have been lucky all the venues I have played so far have allowed me to use it, but again I think the HP-2S (Haze) is way to big. A mini fog/haze machine which could be bar mounted would be sufficient where allowed.

I was thinking about a nebula laser which apprently can look impressive without smog/haze. Together with two small effects, one each side, which I don't have a clue which to opt for, but LED does seem the way to go.

After that I would probably create a single wiring loom for all three and might include a mini fog/haze mounted on the rig as well.

What do you think?

Steve the DJ
01-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Too many people are worried about filling venues with ear shattering sound, as long as its loud enough on the dancefloor, anywhere else is just an inconvenience, unless you're talking younger events where they want it loud everywhere because they can't make conversation anyway, and it saves on embarrassing silences.

Seconded.

Case in point was the Xmas party I had on Saturday for 20 people. The room was small but could hold 80 with a small dance floor and me tucked in the corner.

2 LED effects, 2 12" Active Cabs and a 4ft deck stand is all I used and it still looked excessive!

A Micromax stand, two LED effects and a smaller sound system (like an HK Audio L.U.C.A.S Smart (http://www.hkaudio.com/products.php?mode=prod&ptype=ps&pk_id=22&id=70)) would have been ideal.

JAMdisco
01-12-2008, 12:45 PM
OK Mark (Welby), Firstly I would ditch the CD player & CD's completely. As has been said either get a Hard Drive controller like a Cortex or Denon - you'll figure out which you will prefer (I don't want this to turn into a HD debate - there's plenty of them already) or alternatively, get a second laptop and transfer all your MP3's onto an external HDD or two - they are extremely cheap now.

With regards lighting, yes LED effects are a LOT lighter but some can be quite bulky (the Acme ImpossibLED for example) so if you want to cut down on loading time, perhaps smaller filament effects pre-attached to your bar (providing you can fit it in your transport). I actaully prefer LED due to the low (almost non-existant) running costs.

Either way, make sure you think long and hard (and ask on here) before purchasing anything as incorrect purchases can proove expensive and you'll never make your money back. :)

welby
01-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Firstly I would ditch the CD player & CD's completely. As has been said either get a Hard Drive controller like a Cortex or Denon.

was it intentional to leave of the Numark DMC2? not getting into a debate..lol

so if you want to cut down on loading time, perhaps smaller filament effects pre-attached to your bar (providing you can fit it in your transport). I actaully prefer LED due to the low (almost non-existant) running costs.

Any recommendations? LED?

Either way, make sure you think long and hard (and ask on here) before purchasing anything as incorrect purchases can proove expensive and you'll never make your money back. :)

That's why I ask on here, because of the many years experience you guys and girls have - and thank you for your help!

Mark (welby is a school nickname) and would feel a prat calling myself DJ Marky Mark. :eek:

One Vision
01-12-2008, 01:55 PM
http://earbuds.popdose.com/jon/Marky%20Mark.jpg

welby
01-12-2008, 02:12 PM
I knew it wouldn't be long! :bang: lol

Cj_The_Dj
01-12-2008, 02:54 PM
It’s not quantity its quality

nigelwright7557
01-12-2008, 08:32 PM
I have often gone out with a car full of gear only to find I couldnt get it all in !

Some pubs/clubs have small stages not really meant for loads of gear.

With the modern small speakers that pack a real punch then downsizing is quite easy.

I suppose the trick is to find out as much about the venue as you can before you go out. Thats way you dont have to leave gear in the motor which might get nicked. And, you wont end up looking a fool with two tiny speakers in a vast room.

welby
04-12-2008, 06:59 PM
I think my trouble has been trying too hard to impress. From hereonin it's going to be tailored to the event. I have several light options and trying to be like blackpool illuminations with everything going off is ok, but someone has to lug the kit about and set it up! And that's me!

Keep going and hopefully I'll have muscles and six pack like Marky Mark's pic. We can live in hope! lol