PDA

View Full Version : Software To Convert CD To MP3

Bouncy Dancefloor
03-12-2008, 01:11 AM
Hello, i have ALOT of CD's and a few downloaded tracks (legally!) which i have burnt to CD to play. Now, i am looking to compact my collection by converting to MP3, picking tracks i want and making new compilations

Now first thing, i presume this is legal? The CD's are all genuine and Produb licence is sorted

More importantly, whats the best program to do this with? Im looking to make a library on my PC of my music, then be able to make compilations of tracks i want. For instance, ill be making a wallet of CD's JUST got an upcoming 80's night and so on

Any help is appreciated

Corabar Steve
03-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Audiograbber with LAME encoder.

Which has been discussed many times before.

100 Lines for you my lad, "I will learn how to use the search facility" http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-13531.gif (http://planetsmilies.net):sj:

mldiscos
03-12-2008, 09:15 AM
free rip mp3 always seems to be good never had any probs

Bouncy Dancefloor
03-12-2008, 09:16 AM
ill check them out

im sorry if its been covered before, i checked the forum search, but couldnt find anything too relavant, but it was gone 1am, so perhaps i wasnt firing on all cylinders?

Corabar Steve
03-12-2008, 09:19 AM
im sorry if its been covered before, i checked the forum search, but couldnt find anything too relavant, but it was gone 1am, so perhaps i wasnt firing on all cylinders?

OK your revised lines are "I will learn how to use the forum search facility properly" :sj: :sj:

Steve the DJ
03-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Audiograbber with LAME encoder.

Which has been discussed many times before...

...but those who think it is the best choice are wrong... :p

If you are ripping from CD and want to ensure you get a perfect rip every time then there is only one real choice, Exact Audio Copy (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/).

;)

ppentertainments
03-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Try mediamonkey for free (and cheap to buy). The functions on the program are brilliant especially the search facility. I ripped all my cd's using it with no probs at all apart from the freedb does not always recognise newer cd's, but would have thought this would apply to most programs.

Totally Plucked
03-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Burn xp is also another freebie

Tom
03-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Itunes.

Simple and 100% free.

Excalibur
03-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Try mediamonkey for free (and cheap to buy). The functions on the program are brilliant especially the search facility. I ripped all my cd's using it with no probs at all apart from the freedb does not always recognise newer cd's, but would have thought this would apply to most programs.

Media Monkey for me also. Excellent program. If you pay for it you can make an Excel file with one mouseclick. ( which I'll be doing when I get Cortex number two into play. :D :D )

ppentertainments
03-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Media Monkey for me also. Excellent program. If you pay for it you can make an Excel file with one mouseclick. ( which I'll be doing when I get Cortex number two into play. :D :D )

I still take a laptop with medamonkey installed as the search facilities are far better than the cortex. I also have a laptop stand clamped onto the side of my stand which swivels round. If I get asked the usual 'have you anything by xxxxx' I search on mediamonkey then swivel computer round for customer to see. Saves a lot of shouting :D :D

Excalibur
03-12-2008, 07:28 PM
I still take a laptop with medamonkey installed as the search facilities are far better than the cortex. I also have a laptop stand clamped onto the side of my stand which swivels round. If I get asked the usual 'have you anything by xxxxx' I search on mediamonkey then swivel computer round for customer to see. Saves a lot of shouting :D :D

In essence I agree. I believe the Cortex search is better, but the punter can see and understand MM on the lappy. When it''s on excel, I feel it will be better still.

ppentertainments
03-12-2008, 07:41 PM
In essence I agree. I believe the Cortex search is better, but the punter can see and understand MM on the lappy. When it''s on excel, I feel it will be better still.
I must be doing something wrong with the cortex search, as it is one negative I have for it. :confused:

Excalibur
03-12-2008, 08:00 PM
I must be doing something wrong with the cortex search, as it is one negative I have for it. :confused:

The search is an absolute stickler for grammar. It's even worse than Propeller. ;) One instance is Shania Twain, Man I feel........... If you don't put an exclamation mark, the search doesn't find it from "Man". You begin to remember the regular ones. ;) :D

ppentertainments
03-12-2008, 08:24 PM
The search is an absolute stickler for grammar. It's even worse than Propeller. ;) One instance is Shania Twain, Man I feel........... If you don't put an exclamation mark, the search doesn't find it from "Man". You begin to remember the regular ones. ;) :D
Yep thats the search problems which spoils an otherwise excellent machine. Anyway I think we will get told off for going off topic soon so sorry to those concerned. :D

One Vision
03-12-2008, 11:28 PM
I find "windows media player 11" perfect for ripping Cd's

Dynamic Entertainment
03-12-2008, 11:40 PM
I find "windows media player 11" perfect for ripping Cd's

Thank god for that. Thought i was being a cheap skate/idiot/general numpty whilst reading everyone elses posts. WMP11 works fine for me too.

Twinspin
04-12-2008, 07:49 AM
I use a program on my laptop Called Catraxx for searching for things.

Media Monkey seems to be good for tagging those mp3 files.

I do use audiograbber though for ripping mp3s.

JAMdisco
04-12-2008, 04:53 PM
You not doing Hull Wedding Discos any more John, I see you've dropped it from your sig?

Sorry for going off-topic.

I use Media Monkey for Tagging and creating Excel spreadsheet, Virtual DJ is fine for searching - similar to Excaliburs comments though regarding punctuation etc.

I also use Windows Media Player V11 for ripping, providing you're connected to the internet, it gets all the track info, very rarely incorrect (apart from genres which always seem a little random)

Totally Plucked
04-12-2008, 06:42 PM
J Rivers Media Jukebox is also another excellent freebie

One Vision
04-12-2008, 08:44 PM
For actual tagging of tracks if needed I use this software is very very good.
http://www.collectorz.com/mp3/

Corabar Steve
05-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Which is a cataloging software not a ripper

You shouldn't need to re tag if you do everything correctly when you rip & if the tags are wrong you can alter them during the ripping process using AG.