PDA

View Full Version : How to set up uplighting par cans

Dynamic Entertainment
04-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Mods/admin...please ammend my title. Didnt mean to use the number 2. Thanks

Please feel free to shoot/sin bin me if this has been done to death, but how do you set up the par cars around the room. I.e. Do you have exceptionally long IEC cables that you feed along the wall with the dmx cables and how do you fasten them down (some of my venues may kill me if i crack out the gaffa tape). Im probalbly being very very stupid but any help is much appreciated.

Shakermaker Promotions
04-12-2008, 07:28 PM
I use gaffer tape to do mine. I have long IEC cables and DMX leads. At the end of the day, using tape to secure the leads down and make them safe is much better than them being a potential hazard with people tripping over them and not just that.... it looks better too and not messy.

501damian501
04-12-2008, 07:44 PM
sometimes you may not need long eletrical cables, as power supply might be local to the par can as venuse have various sockets knocking around function rooms, halls, ect ect

wensleydale
04-12-2008, 07:47 PM
but you cant rely on that- best method discussed before is daisy chaining them and using iec splitters- you need a dmx cable linking them anyway so a power cable too is not extra work

501damian501
04-12-2008, 07:55 PM
but you cant rely on that- best method discussed before is daisy chaining them and using iec splitters- you need a dmx cable linking them anyway so a power cable too is not extra work

hence i said sometimes, you allways prepair for the worse... well i do, i would never leave wires at home knowing i may need them.

Dynamic Entertainment
04-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks. Think the splitters are a good idea. Think im gonna have to purchase a drum of 3 core and a load of IEC connecters if im gonna go down the route of uplighting a whole room.

501damian501
04-12-2008, 09:47 PM
just start small with 2 either side of your rig or something, then branch out bigger and better.

Dynamic Entertainment
04-12-2008, 09:56 PM
just start small with 2 either side of your rig or something, then branch out bigger and better.

Thanks for the advice. Im thinking about going for the Stairville LED Par56 off thomann but cant find one thats floor standing. can you just buy a different bracket to modify then do you know?

Tom
04-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks. Think the splitters are a good idea. Think im gonna have to purchase a drum of 3 core and a load of IEC connecters if im gonna go down the route of uplighting a whole room.

I think your best bet would be make up lots of ready made looms. Like 3meter, 5m, 7m and 10m with a dmx cable cable tied to it aswell.

Just use the cables you need for each room you wish to uplight. :)

Tom
04-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the advice. Im thinking about going for the Stairville LED Par56 off thomann but cant find one thats floor standing. can you just buy a different bracket to modify then do you know?

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=ADH38163&product=Floor_!amp!_wall_mounting_plate_for_par_ca ns_and_light_fixtures_(Floor_mount_base_!fslash!_w all_plate)&browsemode=category

Dynamic Entertainment
04-12-2008, 10:03 PM
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=ADH38163&product=Floor_!amp!_wall_mounting_plate_for_par_ca ns_and_light_fixtures_(Floor_mount_base_!fslash!_w all_plate)&browsemode=category

Penfold42
04-12-2008, 10:06 PM
From what I see....these are simple squares of steel with holes and bends in.
Any steel fab shop will be able to knock these up for you at half the cost.

IMO :)

501damian501
04-12-2008, 10:08 PM
already made myself some :D mine are made of flat steel cut to size then with part of a bolt welded in the middle.

Tom
04-12-2008, 10:12 PM
From what I see....these are simple squares of steel with holes and bends in.
Any steel fab shop will be able to knock these up for you at half the cost.

IMO :)

That's what Clive at Entertainment House has done. He showed me what he does with his par cans. He uses silver industrial checker plate. Heavy enough to keep the par can in place but not to heavy to lift. :)

Penfold42
04-12-2008, 10:13 PM
That's what Clive at Entertainment House has done. He showed me what he does with his par cans. He uses silver industrial checker plate. Heavy enough to keep the par can in place but not to heavy to lift. :)

Good man.....simple but effective.....:)

Even 6mm mild steel to fix a light would cost no more than 60p even after paint....... :)

Dynamic Entertainment
04-12-2008, 10:44 PM
The checkerplate sounds like a good idea. Should look cool with a silver par can. Good way of keeping costs down. Thanks.

daz226
04-12-2008, 11:19 PM
this is my next mission next year i want to offer uplighting just weighing up the best products against cost is the tricky bit to this puzzle

Dynamic Entertainment
05-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Found these in another thread.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_par_56_alu_poliert.htm

Dont think you cancomplain at the price and everyone who posted seemed well happy with them.

Im thinking uplighting, then hiring out to bands etc when not in use.

yourdj
05-12-2008, 06:41 PM

DONT. I bought 13 and half the blue LED'S have broken. they are also cheap feeling when compared to my better LEDJ ones and not as bright.

Dynamic Entertainment
05-12-2008, 06:58 PM
DONT. I bought 13 and half the blue LED'S have broken. they are also cheap feeling when compared to my better LEDJ ones and not as bright.

Thanks, just had a better read of the threads and they seem a bit hit and miss. LEDJ it is then. One of my mates has a prolight account so i may give him a ring.....

wensleydale
05-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Thanks, just had a better read of the threads and they seem a bit hit and miss. LEDJ it is then. One of my mates has a prolight account so i may give him a ring.....

although i reckon they are about half the price of the ledj ones, so even if half do break you are still no worse off.

i have 6 and they seem fine by me, and thomann are spot on for customer service so if they do break they'll send you a new one straight away.

Dynamic Entertainment
05-12-2008, 09:50 PM
although i reckon they are about half the price of the ledj ones, so even if half do break you are still no worse off.

i have 6 and they seem fine by me, and thomann are spot on for customer service so if they do break they'll send you a new one straight away.

They are a very good price, whats the postage like from Germany? I may wait and see if i can swing it to get the LEDJs at cost price (may involve lots of :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: ). Im in two minds to be completely honest. Like you say if they break its simple to replace, but i dont want them packing in mid use (but anything can do that).... Very confusing:confused: